Pain in forearm, hand, and fingers won't go away

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
EDIT: I'm freaking out lol I think I have hypothyroidism!! I'm also a hypochondriac...

Problem: I have had on and off pain for the last month or so in my forearm, hand, and fingers. It is mostly my left side that is giving me the constant trouble. I have always had what I considered weak hands. My grip strength in the gym seems to be ok, but not very good. The more noticeable problem areas are actually felt when I'm writing, stirring batches of food, etc. I mean I can stir a bowl of something for 30 seconds and my hands become so cramped I could swear I'm going to drop the spoon, bowl, whatever. Lately I have been having constant pain in my fingers, lingering pain near my wrist, and occasional pain in my forearm. I'm starting to have the pain from the time I wake up and throughout the entire day it seems. I have also felt more cracking, popping, stiffness in my joints overall more than usual.

Background Info: I sit at my desk for 60-70hrs a week. Typing, writing, messing with papers, etc. I've been doing this for about 5yrs with no real sign of pain. The weakness I described has been there the entire time, but it was there before my desk job. About a month and a half ago I joined an MMA gym and proceeded to go full steam ahead. Kickboxing for an hour and BJJ for an hour 4 nights a week. Within about 2wks of going to all of these classes I developed tennis elbow to the point where I could barely move after class and was in extreme pain. The pain started at the outside of the elbow, but within the next few days/week I noticed the pain in my forearm, hand, and fingers. I took some time off and went to the ortho who put me on 10 days of Naproxen (NSAID). He told me he thought I was just overworked etc. I took it easy and actually have only gone to a few classes since then and didn't go as hard as I wanted. I've been back in the gym lifting more and when I'm there everything seems fine for the most part. There is a little pain in my elbows when I do certain exercises, but for the most part they feel good. I don't notice much hand pain in the gym either.

I've scheduled another appointment with my ortho on Wednesday to look into it further. I also have a physical coming up on the 30th of March which is about a month after getting done with PCT from a cycle. Let me know what you guys think about my situation. I'm hoping between the ortho visit and the physical with bloodwork etc I'll be able to get this taken care of. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable guys in here so please chime in.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Bump for some help. My reading on hypothyroidism seems to have a lot of tie ins with my problems lately. Sensitive to cold, sluggish, fatigue, muscle aches, weakness, joint pain, and carpal tunnel symptoms.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Why not see a doctor about the problem? no insurance?

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Did you read the entire post? It says that I went to the ortho once and am going again Wednesday. I also mentioned I had a scheduled physical on 3/30/12 (where I will be talking to my doctor). I actually already called and got the physical moved up to tomorrow so that I can talk to the doc sooner and get all of my results back soon from the bloodwork. I do have insurance btw or I probably wouldn't be going to the doctor/ortho at all.

murk01

murk01

Awards
EDIT: I'm freaking out lol I think I have hypothyroidism!! I'm also a hypochondriac....
thats funny.
it can be as simple as overtraining. also even though the pain is in your hand. it can be a back problem. do u have any issues with ur disks. the truth is u wont know whats really going on untill u see the doc. sometimes even docs dont know what they r doing.
keep it real, get more sleep, and some time ofc the gym

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
depending on where the pain is, it could be Pronator Teres Syndrome. Its basically the same as carpal tunnel, but it starts in the elbow. But unless you have more info on where the pain is specifically in your hand and forearm, I can't help ya much.

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Went in for my physical and brought up all the issues I'm having with the doc. It was determined I have Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the Elbow (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome). I was given some heavier anti inflammatory drugs and told to buy an elbow brace and wrist brace to keep myself from annoying my problem. I am not to workout or anything which sucks, but oh well. I will be going to the ortho tomorrow and tell him about this and also schedule my shoulder surgery I've been putting off for over a year for my SLAP tear in my right shoulder. I guess I'll be doing a whole lot of nothing this summer. F'ing depressed... Oh well I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for your input guys.

murk01

murk01

Awards
f-ck, bro im sorry to hear that. take care of ur self and youll bee 100 next yr..

houstontexas

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. I'm going to take care of myself for sure. Next year... That sounds so sh!tty lol. It is what it is I guess. Sh!t happens to other people too so I just gotta man up and deal with it.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Went in for my physical and brought up all the issues I'm having with the doc. It was determined I have Ulnar Nerve Entrapment at the Elbow (Cubital Tunnel Syndrome). I was given some heavier anti inflammatory drugs and told to buy an elbow brace and wrist brace to keep myself from annoying my problem. I am not to workout or anything which sucks, but oh well. I will be going to the ortho tomorrow and tell him about this and also schedule my shoulder surgery I've been putting off for over a year for my SLAP tear in my right shoulder. I guess I'll be doing a whole lot of nothing this summer. F'ing depressed... Oh well I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for your input guys.
Don't sweat it, I left the gym for 3 years and within a year, I gained my size back (but not my strength). I was then sidelined last year with tears in both my wrists and was sidelined for 4 to 5 months and within few months, I was back to where I was. Muscle memory rocks. I wish my brain memory was as efficient.