Pumps.....for looks only?

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Ok, here goes: A large percentage of the supps out there contain some marketing jargon about epic maximum volume skin splitting pumps, or something like that.

Now, the added 'pump' you get from any of these supps....is it really doing you any good besides making you look fuller for a couple hours? In other words, is it just a temporary vanity thing or do the pumps do something physiologically to add to permanent lean mass gains?

Inquiring minds want to know.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
first off its a marketing tactic, products like agmatine have added benefits outside of just "pumps"

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
The pump itself can be good for your muscle in that it stretches the fascia. But with proper training techniques you can get insane pumps without any supps.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
This is a hotly debated topic and no one really knows the answer from a scientific standpoint.

So I look at it like this ...

PUMPS DO HELP YOU BUILD MUSCLE through motivating the individual psychologically.

To understand this - you need to go back to the bible of bodybuilding, the Holy Grail of muscle building.

Yes, that's right - I'm talking about the movie ... PUMPING IRON!

In that movie, Arnold talks about "getting pumped" and what a "great feeling" it is. He talks about his skin feeling so stretched ... as if his muscles were about to rip through his skin. You can tell in eyes that Arnold really "gets off" on this feeling.

So if you lift and get pumped - and groove on looking at yourself in the mirror after a hard set - and if you like what it visibly did to your physique - you are more than likely going to come back for another round of lifting the next day.

I will tell you flat out - I've been working out in gyms for 30 years and sometimes it can be tough to motivate yourself to get in there and lift - and put all you have into it. Anything that makes you want to go into the gym and go at it is helping you build muscle.

I think gyms have figured this out too. They all have mirrors everywhere in the pump rooms. Yeah, the trainers will tell you they are there so you can watch your "form" ... riiiiiiight. Well, I've been lifting so long I know the proper form for a deadlift in my sleep - I don't need no mirror and I believe that Coach Rippetoe even says don't watch your form for deadlift in a mirror, if I remember correctly.

I'm not watching my form ... I'm thinking ... "ONE!" (Goddam ... look at my ****ing shoulders!) ... "TWO" (**** my anterior heads are bigger than my ****ing head!!) ... "THREE!" (Mother **** ... that chick is checking my ass out behind me!)

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
Train with high intensity and you can get pump for free dunno why some people are willing to spend that amount of cash for a pump you don't even get to take it home as soon as you get home that $ 50 pump is already gone! If I was to spend that much on a pump it's gona be on my vacation and it's gona be the other kind of pump. ; ) as far as marketing yep some of this things that promise something new is just a repacked jack3d with some kind of carbs or chemical that you won't even notice the difference but the price!

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
This is a hotly debated topic and no one really knows the answer from a scientific standpoint.

So I look at it like this ...

PUMPS DO HELP YOU BUILD MUSCLE through motivating the individual psychologically.

To understand this - you need to go back to the bible of bodybuilding, the Holy Grail of muscle building.

Yes, that's right - I'm talking about the movie ... PUMPING IRON!

In that movie, Arnold talks about "getting pumped" and what a "great feeling" it is. He talks about his skin feeling so stretched ... as if his muscles were about to rip through his skin. You can tell in eyes that Arnold really "gets off" on this feeling.

So if you lift and get pumped - and groove on looking at yourself in the mirror after a hard set - and if you like what it visibly did to your physique - you are more than likely going to come back for another round of lifting the next day.

I will tell you flat out - I've been working out in gyms for 30 years and sometimes it can be tough to motivate yourself to get in there and lift - and put all you have into it. Anything that makes you want to go into the gym and go at it is helping you build muscle.

I think gyms have figured this out too. They all have mirrors everywhere in the pump rooms. Yeah, the trainers will tell you they are there so you can watch your "form" ... riiiiiiight. Well, I've been lifting so long I know the proper form for a deadlift in my sleep - I don't need no mirror and I believe that Coach Rippetoe even says don't watch your form for deadlift in a mirror, if I remember correctly.

I'm not watching my form ... I'm thinking ... "ONE!" (Goddam ... look at my ****ing shoulders!) ... "TWO" (**** my anterior heads are bigger than my ****ing head!!) ... "THREE!" (Mother **** ... that chick is checking my ass out behind me!)
Nothing more better then the pump, weather it be on a placebo basis, or scientifically proven. Either way when i lift i try to lift as heavy as possible with moderate reps and try to pump as much blood into the muscle at the same time!

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm a huge fan of pump products. I love looking full. Honestly it keeps me motivated.

Right now I'm using Nitrix by BSN which is said to try and enhance and all day.... Too early to tell but we will see.

If not keep lifting high reps or some heavy weight to get that full pumped look, and true after and hour or 2 it'll start to fade. :(

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taking blood away from organs to the muscles for an extended length of time is a great idea.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I don't care for pumps. I particularly hate them when training back/biceps. They are cosmetic, some like looking full.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I don't care for pumps. I particularly hate them when training back/biceps. They are cosmetic, some like looking full.
I do. Won't lie

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
The pump itself can be good for your muscle in that it stretches the fascia. But with proper training techniques you can get insane pumps without any supps.
This, and with increased blood flow your body can transport waste from your muscles and deliver more oxygen and nutrients. Then over time your muscles will create a greater number of capillaries which also allows for more blood flow. Many bodybuilders feel that the pump is vital for maximal muscle growth.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This, and with increased blood flow your body can transport waste from your muscles and deliver more oxygen and nutrients. Then over time your muscles will create a greater number of capillaries which also allows for more blood flow. Many bodybuilders feel that the pump is vital for maximal muscle growth.
:goodpost:

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
i always get a pump on my workouts.. if it wasn't there i'd assume i didn't hit it hard...but i can get pumped doing sets of 25.. so i don't really see why that would equal growth.. i'm no scientist though, doesn't seem to relate from experience.. though i always have a pump

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
But why pay for something that your body is capable of doing by itself? I think how strong your pump is depends on the level of your intensity. Most of the people I see at the gym I go to goes to the small booth that we have that sells protein and pre workouts and buys the newest product that promises incredible pumps but rests and talks for 3 min or more in-between sets

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Didnt take a pre today.. Quads felt insanely pumped.

Yeah they can have great benefit in moving nutrient to muscle and opening up the bloodstream but its not NEEDED. I find great benefit from pumps in mind muscle connection and consciousness of what Im doing. Im kind of whatever about the feeling and Im only concerned with the cosmetics when Im going on stage or something.

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
Taking blood away from organs to the muscles for an extended length of time is a great idea.
This.

Although, I won't lie, I do like feeling like the hulk during/after my arm/chest workouts.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
But why pay for something that your body is capable of doing by itself? I think how strong your pump is depends on the level of your intensity. Most of the people I see at the gym I go to goes to the small booth that we have that sells protein and pre workouts and buys the newest product that promises incredible pumps but rests and talks for 3 min or more in-between sets
I'm not encouraging consumerism. Like everyone's saying your body will do it naturally, if not, you can use a couple techniques.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
i always get a pump on my workouts.. if it wasn't there i'd assume i didn't hit it hard...but i can get pumped doing sets of 25.. so i don't really see why that would equal growth.. i'm no scientist though, doesn't seem to relate from experience.. though i always have a pump
Good point, Muscle Pump and Growth relationship is something that's highly debated in the fitness world. In my earlier post i just stated the facts, that's what it does. It can also help you recover faster between sets and help you bust out a couple extra reps, but as mentioned earlier it's not vital or needed. IMO don't focus your workout on the pump, they may not make substantial differences in gains but it can only help right? So why not get a pump with a couple warm-up exercises in the beginning of your workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is pure marketing crap. As I already said, shifting blood away from the GI system and into the fascia delays the digestive process, which is not ideal. Capillaries are not responsible for the blood flow; that's from the arterioles. There is a psychological aspect to a pump, but that does not give it any more validity as an indicator of a productive training session.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I once had such a massive upper body pump that I pushed out an extra rep on the bench by leveraging against my pumped up muscles. Note that the pump was just from the workout, not from anything I took (except 300mg caffeine, some of which is converted to the coveted theobromine).

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Ok then, we have established that the 'pumps' derived from some pre-wo supps really offer no true benefit.

How about the other claims? If I don't need 'extra' energy or 'extra' focus, is there any real reason for me to take a pre-wo supp at all?

Does something exist to take/drink pre-workout that physiologically (not psychologically) will add to gains in lean mass?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok then, we have established that the 'pumps' derived from some pre-wo supps really offer no true benefit.

How about the other claims? If I don't need 'extra' energy or 'extra' focus, is there any real reason for me to take a pre-wo supp at all?

Does something exist to take/drink pre-workout that physiologically (not psychologically) will add to gains in lean mass?
Outside of BCAA/EAA, not really. Obviously, a protein shake and/or a whole-food meal will aid in LBM gains as well.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
This is pure marketing crap. As I already said, shifting blood away from the GI system and into the fascia delays the digestive process, which is not ideal. Capillaries are not responsible for the blood flow; that's from the arterioles. There is a psychological aspect to a pump, but that does not give it any more validity as an indicator of a productive training session.
True it is used for marketing, and it's difficult to find unbiased sources online. Arterioles are responsible for bloodflow, however they branch into Arteriole Capillaries… unless i'm misinformed. I also agree with your last sentence, and as far as the Gastrointestinal system that throws in a whole new subject. So i humbly ask, how much effect could the delay of digestion really have? The majority of your pump is gone not too long after your workout, your body has already stored glycogen in you muscles from your pre-workout, all it needs is protein post workout and carbs later on. Isn't that just as debatable as the pump itself?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Some feel as if they got the pump, that there session was productive.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The pump is better than cumming! Never question Arnold...unless he's talking about being faithful.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
The pump is like cumming brah!

10:35 - 11:05

natandrb

natandrb

Awards
Activation of the SNS is going to divert blood from the GI and to the skeletal muscle regardless of a pump product. Likewise, once the training session is over and the PNS takes over, blood will be diverted back to the GI/smooth muslces. So I'm not too worried about a delay in digestion or nutrient absorption, it'll happen eventually. The pump should be fun, but not the main focus of training. There is far too much 'all-or-nothing' mentality. Aside from extreme doses of something, your body will reach equilibrium sooner or later, that's one thing it is very good at.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True it is used for marketing, and it's difficult to find unbiased sources online. Arterioles are responsible for bloodflow, however they branch into Arteriole Capillaries… unless i'm misinformed. I also agree with your last sentence, and as far as the Gastrointestinal system that throws in a whole new subject. So i humbly ask, how much effect could the delay of digestion really have? The majority of your pump is gone not too long after your workout, your body has already stored glycogen in you muscles from your pre-workout, all it needs is protein post workout and carbs later on. Isn't that just as debatable as the pump itself?
The delay is incalculable as there are too many factors in the equation. Regarding glycogen, you're again falling for too much marketing and magazine lore. Glycogen synthesis, like protein synthesis, is something that is a continuous process and not something that occurs is one meal.

Some feel as if they got the pump, that there session was productive.
Just because someone feels a certain way doesn't make it a valid claim.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Idk about yall but it's a damn good feeling when you're all jacked and pumped to the max. I don't really care if the pump is going to actually help with gains I mean it would be great if it did. Im still going to look forward to that pump everytime.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Idk about yall but it's a damn good feeling when you're all jacked and pumped to the max. I don't really care if the pump is going to actually help with gains I mean it would be great if it did. Im still going to look forward to that pump everytime.
True enough.
So do I.

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
I've been taking Code Red and an Enoxide pill everyday before training and getting awesome pumps. Some guys are saying you can get pumps for free without taking anything , thats not true you might get a little pump, but not like taking preworkouts that contain Glycocarn or Nitrates. when I get huge pumps it makes me keep going for the extra rep and it's almost like being on juice, it's pretty good especially for the times your off cycle.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking Code Red and an Enoxide pill everyday before training and getting awesome pumps. Some guys are saying you can get pumps for free without taking anything , thats not true you might get a little pump, but not like taking preworkouts that contain Glycocarn or Nitrates. when I get huge pumps it makes me keep going for the extra rep and it's almost like being on juice, it's pretty good especially for the times your off cycle.
Yes, but again, it's all in your head. I'd rather motivate myself without dumping unproven chemicals in my body and not throwing money away. But that's just me.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
I like using Arnold's example of the pump is like cumming. In terms of cumming I just jizzed all over the place with this epic pump I have in my bi's right now...lol just went to the gym for the first time in months, weird part is it's chest/shoulders day XD

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I won't sit here and advocate for the use of pump products. Instead, I will mention I do like the feeling of the pump, and I personally always get an amazing pump with just my workouts plus some caffeine.

I do DC training, and I cannot emphasize the enormous pump you get from the workouts. And that's just the workouts - when you throw in the stretches, it can actually be painful. My favorite pump though is when I have a back pump. Maybe it's because the back is so huge, but it just feels so awesome feeling everything in your back after a back workout.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Activation of the SNS is going to divert blood from the GI and to the skeletal muscle regardless of a pump product. Likewise, once the training session is over and the PNS takes over, blood will be diverted back to the GI/smooth muslces. So I'm not too worried about a delay in digestion or nutrient absorption, it'll happen eventually. The pump should be fun, but not the main focus of training. There is far too much 'all-or-nothing' mentality. Aside from extreme doses of something, your body will reach equilibrium sooner or later, that's one thing it is very good at.
Agreed.

natandrb

natandrb

Awards
I won't sit here and advocate for the use of pump products. Instead, I will mention I do like the feeling of the pump, and I personally always get an amazing pump with just my workouts plus some caffeine.

I do DC training, and I cannot emphasize the enormous pump you get from the workouts. And that's just the workouts - when you throw in the stretches, it can actually be painful. My favorite pump though is when I have a back pump. Maybe it's because the back is so huge, but it just feels so awesome feeling everything in your back after a back workout.
The back pump feels great, but nothing touches that feeling after a widowmaker leg set and a big stretch. *Note, after​ the stretch not during, OWWW!

firstbychoice

Awards
I agree with almost all that you said, with one exception. I've been lifting for a long time, too - like you, over 30 years and I like to think that I know proper form backwards and forwards. Having said that, I still find that periodic checkups in the mirror will tell me about minor alterations that I need to make. For the past four years I've been working out in a gym with no mirrors (FOB Airborne, Warduk Province, Afghanistan, about 8000 feet up in the mountains near the Pakistan border) due to the hazard they would represent if something exploded in the gym. Shrapnel by itself is bad enough without adding a gazillion shards of glass into the mix. Back to the point - I have my lifting partner occasionally take video of me in lieu of having a mirror to check myself, and lo and behold I find that sometimes I'm listing to one side or the other, or raising one arm higher than the other without even realizing that I'm doing it. I agree that mirrors are about 90% for vanity, and I'm not immune to admiring myself occasionally, but they can serve a useful purpose.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Even if for the psychological effect, I enjoy seeing all of my veins just popping all over the place after a good workout, gives me more motivation to go back to the gym the next day and work as hard if not harder than I did the day before. So, well, I guess it works for me, and I enjoy that look.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The fuller my muscles are/feel, the more leverage it seems to live me with my lifts, therefore the pump is very beneficial to me. The more I'm pumped, the better my workouts.

I like to feel da pump.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Nitrix gave me a great deal of energy... And it's simply a pump product. You take it everyday and multiple times a day, a lot of people think it's garbage, but I've felt damn good on it; I actually think it's worth me grabbing another bottle too...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i think i will also give nitrix another run...

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I dont feel tat I start to lift heavier or more intensly, rather than effective with each motion being on point. Yeah i does motivate me to think "F yeah!"

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The fuller my muscles are/feel, the more leverage it seems to live me with my lifts, therefore the pump is very beneficial to me. The more I'm pumped, the better my workouts.

I like to feel da pump.
A pump actually limits the amount of stretch reflex and force production. For maximal strength, a pump is not a good thing.

Axillist

Axillist

Awards
Capillaries receive the blood upon leaving tissues/fascia. They then in turn lead into veins and return the blood back to the heart for re-oxygenation. One other aspect to think about is that during intense workouts our GI tract is NATURALLY shut down and diminished ie "the fight or flight mechanism" or also called the sympathetic nervous system response.

On the basis of cost, you could simply buy straight L-arginine and add it to your preworkout routine. With that being said, L-arginine is a non-essential amino acid and thus your body will produce most of what you need without supplementation. Long term L-arginine supplementation is not necessary nor ideal.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
Besides feeling and looking awesome, and being motivating, doesn't "the pump" bring nutrients to ur muscles? Id say that would be another plus.