Pumps.....for looks only?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by MusclestoGo View Post
    True it is used for marketing, and it's difficult to find unbiased sources online. Arterioles are responsible for bloodflow, however they branch into Arteriole Capillaries… unless i'm misinformed. I also agree with your last sentence, and as far as the Gastrointestinal system that throws in a whole new subject. So i humbly ask, how much effect could the delay of digestion really have? The majority of your pump is gone not too long after your workout, your body has already stored glycogen in you muscles from your pre-workout, all it needs is protein post workout and carbs later on. Isn't that just as debatable as the pump itself?
    The delay is incalculable as there are too many factors in the equation. Regarding glycogen, you're again falling for too much marketing and magazine lore. Glycogen synthesis, like protein synthesis, is something that is a continuous process and not something that occurs is one meal.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Some feel as if they got the pump, that there session was productive.
    Just because someone feels a certain way doesn't make it a valid claim.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Idk about yall but it's a damn good feeling when you're all jacked and pumped to the max. I don't really care if the pump is going to actually help with gains I mean it would be great if it did. Im still going to look forward to that pump everytime.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by rsnake21
    Idk about yall but it's a damn good feeling when you're all jacked and pumped to the max. I don't really care if the pump is going to actually help with gains I mean it would be great if it did. Im still going to look forward to that pump everytime.
    True enough.
    So do I.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

4. I've been taking Code Red and an Enoxide pill everyday before training and getting awesome pumps. Some guys are saying you can get pumps for free without taking anything , thats not true you might get a little pump, but not like taking preworkouts that contain Glycocarn or Nitrates. when I get huge pumps it makes me keep going for the extra rep and it's almost like being on juice, it's pretty good especially for the times your off cycle.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JPSwole View Post
    I've been taking Code Red and an Enoxide pill everyday before training and getting awesome pumps. Some guys are saying you can get pumps for free without taking anything , thats not true you might get a little pump, but not like taking preworkouts that contain Glycocarn or Nitrates. when I get huge pumps it makes me keep going for the extra rep and it's almost like being on juice, it's pretty good especially for the times your off cycle.
    Yes, but again, it's all in your head. I'd rather motivate myself without dumping unproven chemicals in my body and not throwing money away. But that's just me.
    •   

6. I like using Arnold's example of the pump is like cumming. In terms of cumming I just jizzed all over the place with this epic pump I have in my bi's right now...lol just went to the gym for the first time in months, weird part is it's chest/shoulders day XD
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!

7. I won't sit here and advocate for the use of pump products. Instead, I will mention I do like the feeling of the pump, and I personally always get an amazing pump with just my workouts plus some caffeine.

I do DC training, and I cannot emphasize the enormous pump you get from the workouts. And that's just the workouts - when you throw in the stretches, it can actually be painful. My favorite pump though is when I have a back pump. Maybe it's because the back is so huge, but it just feels so awesome feeling everything in your back after a back workout.

8. Quote Originally Posted by natandrb View Post
    Activation of the SNS is going to divert blood from the GI and to the skeletal muscle regardless of a pump product. Likewise, once the training session is over and the PNS takes over, blood will be diverted back to the GI/smooth muslces. So I'm not too worried about a delay in digestion or nutrient absorption, it'll happen eventually. The pump should be fun, but not the main focus of training. There is far too much 'all-or-nothing' mentality. Aside from extreme doses of something, your body will reach equilibrium sooner or later, that's one thing it is very good at.
    Agreed.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    I won't sit here and advocate for the use of pump products. Instead, I will mention I do like the feeling of the pump, and I personally always get an amazing pump with just my workouts plus some caffeine.

I do DC training, and I cannot emphasize the enormous pump you get from the workouts. And that's just the workouts - when you throw in the stretches, it can actually be painful. My favorite pump though is when I have a back pump. Maybe it's because the back is so huge, but it just feels so awesome feeling everything in your back after a back workout.
    The back pump feels great, but nothing touches that feeling after a widowmaker leg set and a big stretch. *Note, after​ the stretch not during, OWWW!
    Come check out my Intimidate log! http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/188653-natandrb-increasing-his.html#post3126262
    Bury me deep where there's no will to be Better than you! -Metallica

10. I agree with almost all that you said, with one exception. I've been lifting for a long time, too - like you, over 30 years and I like to think that I know proper form backwards and forwards. Having said that, I still find that periodic checkups in the mirror will tell me about minor alterations that I need to make. For the past four years I've been working out in a gym with no mirrors (FOB Airborne, Warduk Province, Afghanistan, about 8000 feet up in the mountains near the Pakistan border) due to the hazard they would represent if something exploded in the gym. Shrapnel by itself is bad enough without adding a gazillion shards of glass into the mix. Back to the point - I have my lifting partner occasionally take video of me in lieu of having a mirror to check myself, and lo and behold I find that sometimes I'm listing to one side or the other, or raising one arm higher than the other without even realizing that I'm doing it. I agree that mirrors are about 90% for vanity, and I'm not immune to admiring myself occasionally, but they can serve a useful purpose.

11. Even if for the psychological effect, I enjoy seeing all of my veins just popping all over the place after a good workout, gives me more motivation to go back to the gym the next day and work as hard if not harder than I did the day before. So, well, I guess it works for me, and I enjoy that look.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html

12. The fuller my muscles are/feel, the more leverage it seems to live me with my lifts, therefore the pump is very beneficial to me. The more I'm pumped, the better my workouts.

I like to feel da pump.

13. Quote Originally Posted by SXIPro
    Ok then, we have established that the 'pumps' derived from some pre-wo supps really offer no true benefit.

How about the other claims? If I don't need 'extra' energy or 'extra' focus, is there any real reason for me to take a pre-wo supp at all?

Does something exist to take/drink pre-workout that physiologically (not psychologically) will add to gains in lean mass?
    Nitrix gave me a great deal of energy... And it's simply a pump product. You take it everyday and multiple times a day, a lot of people think it's garbage, but I've felt damn good on it; I actually think it's worth me grabbing another bottle too...
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

14. i think i will also give nitrix another run...
    Nutraceutical Innovations
    AMINDS15 - 15% code
    nutra-innovations.com

15. I dont feel tat I start to lift heavier or more intensly, rather than effective with each motion being on point. Yeah i does motivate me to think "F yeah!"
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

16. Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    The fuller my muscles are/feel, the more leverage it seems to live me with my lifts, therefore the pump is very beneficial to me. The more I'm pumped, the better my workouts.

I like to feel da pump.
    A pump actually limits the amount of stretch reflex and force production. For maximal strength, a pump is not a good thing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

17. Quote Originally Posted by MusclestoGo View Post
    True it is used for marketing, and it's difficult to find unbiased sources online. Arterioles are responsible for bloodflow, however they branch into Arteriole Capillaries… unless i'm misinformed. I also agree with your last sentence, and as far as the Gastrointestinal system that throws in a whole new subject. So i humbly ask, how much effect could the delay of digestion really have? The majority of your pump is gone not too long after your workout, your body has already stored glycogen in you muscles from your pre-workout, all it needs is protein post workout and carbs later on. Isn't that just as debatable as the pump itself?
    Capillaries receive the blood upon leaving tissues/fascia. They then in turn lead into veins and return the blood back to the heart for re-oxygenation. One other aspect to think about is that during intense workouts our GI tract is NATURALLY shut down and diminished ie "the fight or flight mechanism" or also called the sympathetic nervous system response.

On the basis of cost, you could simply buy straight L-arginine and add it to your preworkout routine. With that being said, L-arginine is a non-essential amino acid and thus your body will produce most of what you need without supplementation. Long term L-arginine supplementation is not necessary nor ideal.

18. Besides feeling and looking awesome, and being motivating, doesn't "the pump" bring nutrients to ur muscles? Id say that would be another plus.

19. Quote Originally Posted by chitown58 View Post
    Besides feeling and looking awesome, and being motivating, doesn't "the pump" bring nutrients to ur muscles? Id say that would be another plus.
    No, it doesn't.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

20. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No, it doesn't.
    Care to explain why?

21. Quote Originally Posted by xigotmailx View Post
    I like using Arnold's example of the pump is like cumming. In terms of cumming I just jizzed all over the place with this epic pump I have in my bi's right now...lol just went to the gym for the first time in months, weird part is it's chest/shoulders day XD
    I hope you are joking. Arnold said what he said to make the movie more entertaining and promote it. He explained all that in the anniversary edition. The orgarm comparison, the death of his father, the smoking dope..etc. Pumping Iron was a movie, not a documentary.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Axillist View Post
    Care to explain why?
    Let me back up a bit, there will be increased nutrient delivery, but in a slightly different sense. The hyperemia is mainly to keep up with the metabolic demand and to help remove metabolic waste (e.g. lactic acid). The nutrients that delivered are mainly ATP and electrolytes, especially calcium.

As far as amino acid delivery and uptake is concerned, there isn't any evidence to suggest that hyperemia will lead to hypertrophy. There are many things that will lead to hyperemia, but the always forgotten element to hypertrophy is TUT (particularly the eccentric contraction). If you're seeking hypertrophy, then TUT is the most important aspect. Granted, hyperemia will almost certainly happen as a result of this, but that does not mean that any hypertrophy should be attributed solely to this. I've gotten some of the nastiest pumps of my life in my thighs and glutes from Prowler pushes, but the eccentric contraction is not there.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

23. I love te pump except in the biceps..my problem is they pump too fast.. I'm talkin like fter two sets theyre full red and veins poppin everywhere it's crazii so it gets really hard to finish my sets.. So I only do two or three excercises on arms days and another two or three on chest days

24. Quote Originally Posted by machorox123
    I love te pump except in the biceps..my problem is they pump too fast.. I'm talkin like fter two sets theyre full red and veins poppin everywhere it's crazii so it gets really hard to finish my sets.. So I only do two or three excercises on arms days and another two or three on chest days
    That happens naturally or are u taking anything?

25. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1

That happens naturally or are u taking anything?
    All natural.. I just finished PCTing but they always been like that

26. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    A pump actually limits the amount of stretch reflex and force production. For maximal strength, a pump is not a good thing.
    I'm in it for looks mostly, athletic ability is secondary. Whatever I'm doing is working for me!

27. Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero

I'm in it for looks mostly, athletic ability is secondary. Whatever I'm doing is working for me!
    I just grabbed some eNoxide to help with the pumps.

28. Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    All natural.. I just finished PCTing but they always been like that
    Name:  contradiction.png
Views: 66
Size:  90.8 KB

29. :rotf:

30. Quote Originally Posted by SXIPro View Post
    Ok, here goes: A large percentage of the supps out there contain some marketing jargon about epic maximum volume skin splitting pumps, or something like that.

Now, the added 'pump' you get from any of these supps....is it really doing you any good besides making you look fuller for a couple hours? In other words, is it just a temporary vanity thing or do the pumps do something physiologically to add to permanent lean mass gains?

Inquiring minds want to know.

It won't do anything for you. In fact increasing NO levels= decrease in testosterone.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. PUMPS
    By BBB in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 12:24 PM
  2. serious leg pumps
    By boricuarage in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
  3. Ab pumps
    By rochabp in forum Supplements