anabolic stretching??

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
ey guys,

anyone read up on the anabolic stretching article for this weeks news letter? even though they have scientific evidence and conducted experiments, I'm not to sure I'm a believer...

ex. in a bicep preacher curl...do you honestly believe that your muscle mass will increase more favorably when you hold the weight at the point of flex for 3 sets of 45 seconds compared to 3 sets of 8-12 reps with heavier weight?

just looking for some opinions here and what exercises you would consider doing this SOS anabolic stretching for

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
I agree with the article… can't be sure of the stats they put in, but "Anabolic Stretching" can be very beneficial for muscle growth. When you stretch you lengthen the Endomysium, Perimysium, and the Epimysium, which are the three layers of tissue that insulate muscle groups. The Epimysium covers the entire muscle and gives it it's shape. If you picture a balloon, a longer one will hold more water or can be more inflated compared to a shorter one… the same with muscles. It was mentioned in the article that when you stretch with such intensity an "SOS" or Stretch Reflex is activated causing your muscles to contract, which will prevent injury. But it also produces a static contraction which has been proven to be an efficient way to gain muscle mass.

P_MIKE_V

P_MIKE_V

Awards
I agree with the article… can't be sure of the stats they put in, but "Anabolic Stretching" can be very beneficial for muscle growth. When you stretch you lengthen the Endomysium, Perimysium, and the Epimysium, which are the three layers of tissue that insulate muscle groups. The Epimysium covers the entire muscle and gives it it's shape. If you picture a balloon, a longer one will hold more water or can be more inflated compared to a shorter one… the same with muscles. It was mentioned in the article that when you stretch with such intensity an "SOS" or Stretch Reflex is activated causing your muscles to contract, which will prevent injury. But it also produces a static contraction which has been proven to be an efficient way to gain muscle mass.

:hump:

Hot **** right there! I always knew that stretching was highly beneficial, but I've never heard it broken down like this. Posts like this is why I love this forum, much to be learned here. I will have to read up on the said article and try it out on a few exercises.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
alright so I was Doing this stretching thing in my workout the other day and DANG!!!! I did 3 sets of preacher curls holding at point of flex for 45 seconds and then did tricep extensions for 3 sets at the point of flex and DANG!!! I can tell that at the end of 4 weeks of Doing this I will be a lot bigger because my arms have never felt so dang sore in my life!!! incredible feeling of accomplishment when I get done with one set!!

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Ha awesome! I'll have to try it sometime. Let me know about results in a few weeks, if it made any difference in gains.

P_MIKE_V

P_MIKE_V

Awards
Just got back from the gym and tried this on some bi exercises, seems to give a pretty nice pump. A buddy of mine I was talking to says this concept works wonders with calves! Gunna have to give it a try with my tiny calves

:rambo:

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Just got back from the gym and tried this on some bi exercises, seems to give a pretty nice pump. A buddy of mine I was talking to says this concept works wonders with calves! Gunna have to give it a try with my tiny calves

Thanks for the calves tip ill be trying that out tomorrow

P_MIKE_V

P_MIKE_V

Awards
sweet! I'm going to do the same lemme know how it works out for you.

K

kowalsik

Awards
Just so I understand this technique....when you say hold at point of flex for 45 seconds, for example a typical bicep curl, does that mean your holding right after the starting point or at the finish of the curl movement? Also, if using this technique, is only one bicep exercise needed since it sounds like your really stressing the muscle? thanks

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Just so I understand this technique....when you say hold at point of flex for 45 seconds, for example a typical bicep curl, does that mean your holding right after the starting point or at the finish of the curl movement? Also, if using this technique, is only one bicep exercise needed since it sounds like your really stressing the muscle? thanks
basically a little after starting point...(I think) and ya pretty much..I did reverse curls and cable push downs then some pull ups and that was it for the day because it really kicks your @$$

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
i incorporated a few sets over the past two workouts. get a really nice burn..

does anyone maybe have a link to a list of exercises ideal for anabolic stretching

P_MIKE_V

P_MIKE_V

Awards
Seated Calves at 4 sets of 12-15 holding at point of full flex for 3-5 seconds each today. Got painfully awesome!!!

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
so I tried this stretching method today on my traps...doing 3 sets of 45 sec. on shrugs....holy ****...it looks like I'm walking and trying to shrug at the same time...they are killin me but I guess that means they are workin!!

AForney

AForney

Awards
Just a recap of the exercises;

"1) Heavy stretch exercises. First, you should include a stretch-position exercise for each bodypart—like pullovers for lats, stiff-legged deadlifts for hamstrings, overhead extensions for triceps and flyes for pecs.
Simply doing those specific exercises, which put the target muscle in an ultra-elongated state against demanding resistance, will do a number of big things for your muscle growth. For example, the stretch against a heavy weight produces an emergency response from the muscle—an SOS. It must recruit more fibers to avoid being severely damaged. And more fiber activation means more growth stimulation.
Keep your form perfect on those exercises; if you jerk or heave in the stretch position, you can rip connective tissue or even the muscle itself. Stay in complete control for around eight reps and try to increase the weight as often as possible to produce continuous overload—as in the study.

2) Double-X Overload. This is one of the many X-hybrid methods we discuss in Beyond X-Rep Muscle Building. It’s tailor made for stretch-position exercises. Simply lower the weight to the stretch point, raise only about eight inches, lower again to stretch, then move through the full stroke. That’s one DXO rep. Use the double “hitch” at the bottom stretch of each rep to emphasize and overload the key elongation point.

3) Stretch-Pulses. This is the tactic that most closely replicates the Antonio-Gonyea study, and we discuss it extensively in X-Rep Update #1. Keep in mind that the animal subject in the study was not working out per se. In fact, very little movement was occurring in the bird’s wing. That means you can get massive results holding the weight almost stationary. I like pulsing a few inches up and down for better innervation.
For this technique you want to pick a weight for your stretch-position exercise that allows a 45-second pulse/ hold at full stretch. You’ll need to time the pulse/hold because when you can maintain it for 60 seconds, you up the weight at the next workout. That’s progressive-stretch overload.
Realize that your muscles hardly ever have to cope with being stretched during daily activity—much less stretched against resistance. That’s why stretching is traumatic and can trigger significant hypertrophy. It forces adaptation almost immediately. Research shows that stretch overload even increases anabolic hormones in the target-muscle tissue—like IGF-1 and testosterone—as well as anabolic receptors on the muscle."

- Steve Holman is the author of many bodybuilding best-sellers and the creator of Positions-of-Flexion muscle training.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ey guys,

anyone read up on the anabolic stretching article for this weeks news letter? even though they have scientific evidence and conducted experiments, I'm not to sure I'm a believer...

ex. in a bicep preacher curl...do you honestly believe that your muscle mass will increase more favorably when you hold the weight at the point of flex for 3 sets of 45 seconds compared to 3 sets of 8-12 reps with heavier weight?

just looking for some opinions here and what exercises you would consider doing this SOS anabolic stretching for
link to the article please

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards

"1) Heavy stretch exercises. First, you should include a stretch-position exercise for each bodypart—like pullovers for lats, stiff-legged deadlifts for hamstrings, overhead extensions for triceps and flyes for pecs.
Simply doing those specific exercises, which put the target muscle in an ultra-elongated state against demanding resistance, will do a number of big things for your muscle growth. For example, the stretch against a heavy weight produces an emergency response from the muscle—an SOS. It must recruit more fibers to avoid being severely damaged. And more fiber activation means more growth stimulation.
Keep your form perfect on those exercises; if you jerk or heave in the stretch position, you can rip connective tissue or even the muscle itself. Stay in complete control for around eight reps and try to increase the weight as often as possible to produce continuous overload—as in the study.

2) Double-X Overload. This is one of the many X-hybrid methods we discuss in Beyond X-Rep Muscle Building. It’s tailor made for stretch-position exercises. Simply lower the weight to the stretch point, raise only about eight inches, lower again to stretch, then move through the full stroke. That’s one DXO rep. Use the double “hitch” at the bottom stretch of each rep to emphasize and overload the key elongation point.

3) Stretch-Pulses. This is the tactic that most closely replicates the Antonio-Gonyea study, and we discuss it extensively in X-Rep Update #1. Keep in mind that the animal subject in the study was not working out per se. In fact, very little movement was occurring in the bird’s wing. That means you can get massive results holding the weight almost stationary. I like pulsing a few inches up and down for better innervation.
For this technique you want to pick a weight for your stretch-position exercise that allows a 45-second pulse/ hold at full stretch. You’ll need to time the pulse/hold because when you can maintain it for 60 seconds, you up the weight at the next workout. That’s progressive-stretch overload.
Realize that your muscles hardly ever have to cope with being stretched during daily activity—much less stretched against resistance. That’s why stretching is traumatic and can trigger significant hypertrophy. It forces adaptation almost immediately. Research shows that stretch overload even increases anabolic hormones in the target-muscle tissue—like IGF-1 and testosterone—as well as anabolic receptors on the muscle."

- Steve Holman is the author of many bodybuilding best-sellers and the creator of Positions-of-Flexion muscle training.
Nice Post man… repped! :D

P_MIKE_V

P_MIKE_V

Awards

AGREED. This is delicious stuff i will be implementing these into my weak point training. Let's see how it it work out!!!!