How do you know if your overtraining?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm so worried about overtraining but at the same time so worried about not lifting hard enough so how do you know your sweet spot?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is your workout routine? If you are working different parts of your body everyday of the week. And you don't do repetitious exercises. You shouldn't be over training.
It's currently
Chest tris
Back bis
Off
Legs
Shoulders with 2 supersets of back and chest (my weak points)
Off
Off
I want to add an arm day in somewhere bc I have 5 years lifting exp and 1 year of very consistent lifting and dieting and I'm past the point of where indirect muscle growth will make my arms bigger I feel

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Can you be more specific? What exercises are you doing to work these muscle groups?

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can you be more specific? What exercises are you doing to work these muscle groups?
Ok chest tris would be like this
Decline bench 4 sets 8-10 reps
Chest flys 3 sets 8-10 reps
Dips 2 sets body weight (wide grip) 8-10 reps
Incline bench 3 sets 6-8 reps
Then for tris
Dips 2 sets body weight (narrow grip) 8-10 reps
Skull crushers 8-10 reps 3 sets
Pulldowns 3 sets 8-10 reps

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless you're undereating or are hypogonadic, then you're not overtraining. IMO, this term is used far too liberally and very few train with enough volume and at a high enough 1RM% to actually be overtrained.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys now I'm not so worried about over training and I think I'll throw an arm day in when I get on my hella cycle in april

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Unless you're undereating or are hypogonadic, then you're not overtraining. IMO, this term is used far too liberally and very few train with enough volume and at a high enough 1RM% to actually be overtrained.
Feel the same.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could, but why? More overload is made via compound movements than the isolation ones.
^^^This, trust me overtraining is overrated unless your diet sucks or you are dealing with injuries

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm so worried about overtraining but at the same time so worried about not lifting hard enough so how do you know your sweet spot?
Write down everything you are doing in the gym and eating. Take pics. If you notice you are just getting fatter and weaker (via pics and workout log), then you probably need a break and a need to evaluate diet/training. If not then just keep going. Over Training is overlooked as well as blasted out of proportion. Some people can get by with 2 heavy sessions a week, and maybe 1-2 days of cardio. I have a feeling these people REALLY push on the two days. Ever have a workout partner who does the exact same routine as you, exact amount of cardio, eats good, but has no results? While you on the other hand just keep getting stronger/leaner? Usually it means his mental state is just not good in the gym. Or he lifts different. Faster/slower negatives, doesn't push each rep with maximum force, or doesn't spend enough TUT. Too many factors to even run a test on. So take it down to the basics. Find a routine you like, eat in a way that makes you perform and look as you wish to, and track the progress via the pics. Make adjustments as you must.

Small note, I can train 8 times a week and grow. I felt like crap but I got stronger, leaner. I also can train just 3 times a week, I also got stronger/leaner. With the 3 times a week I made insane strength progress, as well as good muscle gains. While doing my 2x a day workouts I was tired a lot, but looked much better. Was I overtrained? I actually think in my 3x a week workouts I was more "Overtrained" because I was running a strength based cycle and had to add weight every day. But in both cases I kept logs and took notes on mood, and took some pics.

Lastly, some people check your resting heart rate after rising. They say it shoudl always be constant and any fluctuations could mean CNS stress. I am not familiar with this but you might want to look it up if what I said above just doesn't make any sense... it kinda doesn't make sense to me... haha.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i agree. it seems people under recover or just need a deload week.

to me overtraining can take months to really show its ugly head, but then can take months to recover from as well.

Patterson

Awards
Doesn't sound like overtraining - but if you snuck-in an arm day I'd be worried you are prone to overtraining... I was lucky enough to have a good strength coach when I was in HS and then another one in college. Both said the same thing to me "Good power lifters are inherently a little bit lazy."

I see a lot of guys putting in a lot of time in the gym. They write everything down or use some app on their phone. Because they think they need to be there for 1.5-2 hours – they do too much.

Lifting/Strength Training/Bodybuilding is NOT LIKE RUNNING!!! The workout you outlined sounds good, but how long are you taking between sets? Other than certain exceptions (bench press throws) I generally stick to 3 minutes between sets. When I’m going heavy? 6 minutes between sets. I laugh when I see people roll their eyes at me because I’m timing my sets like this – but they are always a lot smaller and weaker than I am. 30 seconds between sets does NOTHING but burn sugar and load your muscles with destructive lactic acid and cortisol. In growing muscle, the period of rest is what counts. Nobody ever got big by doing burnout sets. Some may get big IN SPITE of doing burnouts. Lift smart. Eat smart. Sleep/rest smart. You’ll get results and last a lot longer.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Im recovering from overtraining now(alot of high intensity lifting/conditioning)and beleive me you will diffently know when you are,it takes alot to get there but once there it sucks and takes longer to recover from.

Im deloading now but some major signs i got were bad fatigue though the day,aches/pains that didnt/arnt going away,i really dont do the h/r thing since i wasnt sure what my "true"morning rate was,you'll get worried about the days training,sleep will suck,get pissed/depressed easily,ect...

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok chest tris would be like this
Decline bench 4 sets 8-10 reps
Chest flys 3 sets 8-10 reps
Dips 2 sets body weight (wide grip) 8-10 reps
Incline bench 3 sets 6-8 reps
Then for tris
Dips 2 sets body weight (narrow grip) 8-10 reps
Skull crushers 8-10 reps 3 sets
Pulldowns 3 sets 8-10 reps
You don't seem to be overtraining unless you're not recovereing quickly, 2-4days should usually be the limit depending on the person and diet.
An tricep tip I picked might help with the arm growth also...

I like to do burnout/drop sets of skull crushers. For Example I will load up 2x10lb and a 5lb on each side and do 10-12 reps then drop the 5lbs and do 10 more, then drop a pair of 10lbs and do ten, then drop the last 10lbs and do ten of just the bar. I do this four times. Really focus on contracting the muscle each rep, not just pushing the weight up. I like to focus right above the elbow joint on the tricep.

Last edited:
Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
Firm believer too that u cant over train but can under eat

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
for me its not getting enough sleep a lot of the time due to my kids atm and there sleep patterns. Ill know straight away, will be fatigued, I get a feeling of catching a cold, throat feels scratchy ect. Then i just take extra rest days and up the vitamins a little.

So as a heap of people have said already, and assuming all other factors diet/rest are ok then dont be worried with overtraining on your current training schedule. i dont see any problem with an arms day, even more so if you compete. I have long lanky arms and find they grow best with a bi's day, of course they get hit again from back day also. Either way works for me!

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
you have to learn to listen to your body.. i know during a session though if i'm about to faint