Does Wendler's 'Big But Boring' program actually work?

Palko

hi guys im into my 2nd week of month 2 of this program - i think i can feel the some difference but im not sure. the only area that i dont think i feel any difference in/getting weaker is my chest.

has anyone completed this 3 month program who can tell me if it is as effective as it says?

thanks

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i have known many people to do that program and that specific accessory part. poking around online it seems the big but boring seems to be the popular choice. in all cases it seems that progress is going to happen. as long as you follow it as written, eat enough, and sleep enough.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Boring but big isn't a program. It's an assistance template for 5/3/1.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
BBB template isn't meant as strength assistance. It's volume work, for size, using only the compound movements. Is that what you want?

If you're just aiming for strength gains, there are better 5/3/1 templates out there. If you are aiming for hypertrophy as a side product to your strength gains from 5/3/1, it's decent...but why not just do the Periodization Bible assistance lifts and choose exactly what you want to do and add in some isolation? Do you already have some decent size to you?
Is that your main goal (to grow)?

5/3/1 is not a 3 month program. If that's how you view it, it's not for you. You sound like you want a bodybuilding program that you change often.

Palko

BBB template isn't meant as strength assistance. It's volume work, for size, using only the compound movements. Is that what you want?

If you're just aiming for strength gains, there are better 5/3/1 templates out there. If you are aiming for hypertrophy as a side product to your strength gains from 5/3/1, it's decent...but why not just do the Periodization Bible assistance lifts and choose exactly what you want to do and add in some isolation? Do you already have some decent size to you?
Is that your main goal (to grow)?

5/3/1 is not a 3 month program. If that's how you view it, it's not for you. You sound like you want a bodybuilding program that you change often.

I am aiming to grow in both size and strength, so im not just focused on one. I'm unfamiliar with the Periodization Bible assistance lifts i'll do some research

As for my size i am currently sitting at 70 kg's and i am about 6 foot if not a bit taller.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your best bet would be to buy the 5/3/1 book off of Amazon or Wendler's site.