ive hit the plateau....HELP!!!

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
don't understand how I've plateaued, every 3 weeks I change my workout up with different reps, rest, and weight but yet I maxed today and I have plateaued.....advice??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you training specifically for strength?

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Are you training specifically for strength?
strength and size...I do powerlifting in the mornings and in the evenings I do body building and focus on one muscle a day and stay away from over training the same muscle that I did in power lifting...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
strength and size...I do powerlifting in the mornings and in the evenings I do body building and focus on one muscle a day and stay away from over training the same muscle that I did in power lifting...
You have a bit of a misunderstanding. Powerlifting does not train a muscle; it trains a movement. For example, the bench press in BB'ing focuses on the chest, but the bench press in PL'ing encompasses the entire body from the calves to the traps.

Also, your PL workout should encompass assistance work to adress weak points, increase muscle, and maintain balance. In short, your template is probably messed up.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
You have a bit of a misunderstanding. Powerlifting does not train a muscle; it trains a movement. For example, the bench press in BB'ing focuses on the chest, but the bench press in PL'ing encompasses the entire body from the calves to the traps.

Also, your PL workout should encompass assistance work to adress weak points, increase muscle, and maintain balance. In short, your template is probably messed up.
no I know what your saying, what I'm saying is I try to not train calves, hamstrings, or guards when I trained cleans or deads that day

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no I know what your saying, what I'm saying is I try to not train calves, hamstrings, or guards when I trained cleans or deads that day
What is your exact template? It seems all over the place.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
What is your exact template? It seems all over the place.
I really dont have the patience to log my entire 3 week temp on here, not to be an ass, but i just dont have the time in the day to do so..
Basically in the mornings ill do power clean, hang clean, SL Squats, Split Jerk, and dead lift on seperate day in order monday - friday...then in the evenings i do an individual muscle each day, chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs in that order monday - friday.....every 3 weeks i mix up the specific workouts in the evenings and i mix up the ammount of reps and rest in between in hopes that i dont plateau and on the 4th week i max out...This is the first time i have hit a plateau in almost a year and i dont understand why because i never do the same reps and same workouts within a 9 week period

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The mixing of Oly lifts with BB'ing doesn't make a lot of sense, but, then again, neither does worrying about not increasing your 1RM in this instance.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
The mixing of Oly lifts with BB'ing doesn't make a lot of sense, but, then again, neither does worrying about not increasing your 1RM in this instance.
I feel that Olympic lifting and body building is a great mix for size, strength, and explosiveness...regardless of my workout routine, I am asking about something to help me get past this plateau, not scrutiny for doing two different style lifts

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel that Olympic lifting and body building is a great mix for size, strength, and explosiveness...regardless of my workout routine, I am asking about something to help me get past this plateau, not scrutiny for doing two different style lifts
You completely missed the point. Proper programming is essential for continued progress and your program is far from essential. No person can make educated recommendations when you refuse to put your exact template down and any suggestion is just a shot in the dark.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And thence the need for periodization or blocking to focus on improving only a few aspects of fitness at a single time. Trying to do everything at once yields little.

Further, when was the last time an unloading week was taken?

Br

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
And thence the need for periodization or blocking to focus on improving only a few aspects of fitness at a single time. Trying to do everything at once yields little.

Further, when was the last time an unloading week was taken?

Br
still new to this forum thing and lifting terms....what do you mean by blocking and unloading?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blocking or periodization is taking a pre-specified amount of time and focusing on improving 1 or 2 aspects of fitness/performance. This could be 3 weeks dedicated to hypertrophy, strength, power, lateral strength, etc. etc.

Unloading refers to taking a period of time (generally a week) where volume, frequency, and/or intensity are reduced to allow for recovery and supracompensation (adaptation and gains)

Br

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Blocking or periodization is taking a pre-specified amount of time and focusing on improving 1 or 2 aspects of fitness/performance. This could be 3 weeks dedicated to hypertrophy, strength, power, lateral strength, etc. etc.

Unloading refers to taking a period of time (generally a week) where volume, frequency, and/or intensity are reduced to allow for recovery and supracompensation (adaptation and gains)

Br
My bad same time.
And better said

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards

Br
what you say makes sense but wouldn't I lose both size and strength ??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what you say makes sense but wouldn't I lose both size and strength ??
Deloading/unloading is essential for joints and the CNS. You will not lose size and strength in a 1-2 week period.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Deloading/unloading is essential for joints and the CNS. You will not lose size and strength in a 1-2 week period.
I understand what your saying...thing is...I have a lifting competition march 31 and if I take 2 weeks to unload that leaves me with the week of to get ready...what do you recommend ?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bench and squat
My recommendation is to just do the event and have modest expectations. After that, train appropriately for the event. Doing Oly lifting 5x/week and doing BB'ing in the evenings is not the way to improve your numbers. If you're competing in PL'ing, then train like a PL'er.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I understand what your saying...thing is...I have a lifting competition march 31 and if I take 2 weeks to unload that leaves me with the week of to get ready...what do you recommend ?
This should highlight the need for better planning/programming.

You don't need to unload for 2 weeks...nor will you lose size or strength when you unload. The idea is to maintain motor programing while allowing for recovery and adaptation.

Br

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
This should highlight the need for better planning/programming.

You don't need to unload for 2 weeks...nor will you lose size or strength when you unload. The idea is to maintain motor programing while allowing for recovery and adaptation.

Br
so what do you think? I like to keep some power lifts and Olympic lifts in my routine but I do more body building for size....in need of help

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
when you "plateau" its because your only doing enough to maintain basically.. you need to add more intensity to your workouts, maybe add in some burn out exercises every now and then, step your workouts up a notch from what youve been doing and theres no way youll still be at a "plateau".

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so what do you think? I like to keep some power lifts and Olympic lifts in my routine but I do more body building for size....in need of help
Stop trying to do everything at once. This is like attempting to cram a 4 year degree into 6 months.

Get some short term goals, and work towards them.

If you want to get bigger, then focus on hypertrophy for a while. Include an olympic lift at the beginning of the workout to maintain power.

If you want strength than focus on power lifting. You can always run a circuit of various bodybuilding exercises at the end to maintain mass.

If you want power then focus on the olys and plyos while maintaining strength and size.

Run a 3-4 week cycle of each with a week of unloading in between.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stop trying to do everything at once. This is like attempting to cram a 4 year degree into 6 months.

Get some short term goals, and work towards them.

If you want to get bigger, then focus on hypertrophy for a while. Include an olympic lift at the beginning of the workout to maintain power.

If you want strength than focus on power lifting. You can always run a circuit of various bodybuilding exercises at the end to maintain mass.

If you want power then focus on the olys and plyos while maintaining strength and size.

Run a 3-4 week cycle of each with a week of unloading in between.

Br

This is where I suggest looking into the Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and using the Periodization Bible for assistance work.

themondtster

themondtster

Awards
Like Zir Red said focus on one goal at a time. Strength for 6-8 weeks, volume( mass) for 4, then repeat. If goal is just strength for competition then focus on just that and a month or two before comp put more focus and effort in the lifts you'll be doing and their accessories.... dont waste energy and time trying to do other things not needed. Deload weeks are very helpful and needed most of the time for recovery.

I suggest doing some reading. A book I suggest is Charles Poliquins "Ask Coach Poliquin" and "Poliquin Pricples". There are other good books and manuals out there that will help you out with your goals. The " Strength Training Anatomy" is good also. Just a suggestion.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
Like Zir Red said focus on one goal at a time. Strength for 6-8 weeks, volume( mass) for 4, then repeat. If goal is just strength for competition then focus on just that and a month or two before comp put more focus and effort in the lifts you'll be doing and their accessories.... dont waste energy and time trying to do other things not needed. Deload weeks are very helpful and needed most of the time for recovery.

I suggest doing some reading. A book I suggest is Charles Poliquins "Ask Coach Poliquin" and "Poliquin Pricples". There are other good books and manuals out there that will help you out with your goals. The " Strength Training Anatomy" is good also. Just a suggestion.
how much are these books??

themondtster

themondtster

Awards
how much are these books??
I found them for around 15 to 20 a piece. Anatomy book on Amazon and Coach Poliquin at Netnutritioncom. The Poliquin principles Im not sure cause I got it from a friend, but I think it is on Amazon also.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
I found them for around 15 to 20 a piece. Anatomy book on Amazon and Coach Poliquin at Netnutritioncom. The Poliquin principles Im not sure cause I got it from a friend, but I think it is on Amazon also.
appreciate it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Block Periodization by Issurin. Pricey, but worth it.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What have you plateaud in? Weight gain? Strength? You're not really telling much here, and then saying you're too lazy to post your routine up, and you want a magic answer? Too funny

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
What have you plateaud in? Weight gain? Strength? You're not really telling much here, and then saying you're too lazy to post your routine up, and you want a magic answer? Too funny
is there a way to put excel spread sheets or word documents on here or a link to them?? I've plateaued in strength...

my last 1rms in the following categories were:
bench - 280
squat - 405
power clean - 245
dead lift - 405

when I maxed this week I got
bench- failed 285
squat - failed 415
power clean - 280
dead lift - didn't max

I weigh 175lbs so I'm moving pretty good weight but I expected so much more

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yes, you can add it as an attachment I think...but not sure. May need to host it somewhere and then link to it.

Hrm, well, if you're looking to throw more weight around, you should stick to a tried and true program like 5/3/1, etc. With 5/3/1, you WILL gain strength without a doubt. You can also do bodybuilding assistance work.

But honestly, I would aim to do a lot more volume and gain some more weight. I bet your numbers will go to the next level after.

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
yes, you can add it as an attachment I think...but not sure. May need to host it somewhere and then link to it.

Hrm, well, if you're looking to throw more weight around, you should stick to a tried and true program like 5/3/1, etc. With 5/3/1, you WILL gain strength without a doubt. You can also do bodybuilding assistance work.

But honestly, I would aim to do a lot more volume and gain some more weight. I bet your numbers will go to the next level after.
what would you suggest for volume then? I am trying to get my workouts up but it's kickin my a**

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Great article and nice vid.

Volume work itself, is fairly easy relatively speaking. It's just lower weight at higher reps than what you're training at now. It may be very beneficial for you to try this. It will give you a chance to deload, while also building more mass and also allowing you to focus on weaker areas via adding in more isolation work as well.

I think you really need to rethink your program at this point. Periodization is key to any successful program.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
So what are you guys recommending? 3-5 Weeks of goal specific training, a week of unloading, then another few weeks?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So what are you guys recommending? 3-5 Weeks of goal specific training, a week of unloading, then another few weeks?
The time between deloading (if needed at all) depends on the actual training. If you're constantly training >90% of your 1RM, then you'll need it more than if you're doing a BB'ing template.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Gotchya, i'm following a BB routine that i made, every week i increase every set with 1 rep for about 5 weeks, then i start over with higher weight. After that i move to another routine, does that sound legit?

the gym rat

the gym rat

Awards
how??

and for anyone else whose following this an helping me out here's what I'm thinking about doing today

chest:: bb bench 3*20, xreps 3*5, DB floor press 3*20, pull ups *200, core *100

Patterson

Awards
3 weeks? Speaking for myself, that's not long enough for my body to even get into a rhythm. If I were to guess (been doing this for 35 years now) you are not giving your body enough time to get into the routine - let alone plateau.

I work in quarterly cycles – alternating strength and “recovery” cycles by body area and compound lift. An example everyone should be able to relate to is for upper body pressing movements – six months of the year (2 3-month cycles) I bench heavy. Say Jan-March and Jul-Sept. I only bench and do no triceps/frontal delt/chest isolation movements. NONE. The other 2 3-month cycles I do not bench. NO BENCH. Only “bodybuilding” isolation movements on the chest/frontal delts/triceps. But it takes 13 weeks to complete a cycle.

I’ve only experienced plateaus when I push beyond the 13 weeks. I tried a 6-month bench run a few years back and I peaked at 5 – and ended up under a knife to fuse three vertebrae (a la Peyton Manning).

Three weeks is not enough time to get into a groove, my friend. Just my opinion. Hope this helps?

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Yea, i agree with Patterson.. i would lengthen your cycles and get a set routine, then each week you need top increase the volume of your workout, every week i increase my reps for every set by 1 and i do that for 5 or 6 weeks, then change it up. And may i ask why your reps are so high? You trying to bulk right? If so, reps should be around 8-12. Also, you may want to add a few sets to your routine, from what i can see by your workout, 16 sets for major muscles is probably most apt.

BTW to attach a doc all you have to do is click the paperclip at the bottom, then find it in your documents and hit choose.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotchya, i'm following a BB routine that i made, every week i increase every set with 1 rep for about 5 weeks, then i start over with higher weight. After that i move to another routine, does that sound legit?
Unless you start really light, this method does not work. The CNS, which is the main source of strength, does no operate in that fashion. After about 3 weeks, your performance will start to diminish with this kind of template. If you're going to do something similar to this, you'll want to change the main lift every 1-2 weeks. For example, week 1 is full-range bench press, week 2 is floor press, week 3 is board presses and then repeat. The goal is to work up max out every week, but do not expect to set a new PR each time. Some days, you'll be able to only get 92% of your 1RM and this is perfectly fine.

MusclestoGo

MusclestoGo

Awards
Unless you start really light, this method does not work. The CNS, which is the main source of strength, does no operate in that fashion. After about 3 weeks, your performance will start to diminish with this kind of template. If you're going to do something similar to this, you'll want to change the main lift every 1-2 weeks. For example, week 1 is full-range bench press, week 2 is floor press, week 3 is board presses and then repeat. The goal is to work up max out every week, but do not expect to set a new PR each time. Some days, you'll be able to only get 92% of your 1RM and this is perfectly fine.
Hm, so your saying i should have a 3 week cycle of separate lifts, then repeat. And evrytime i come back to each workout i want my max to improve?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hm, so your saying i should have a 3 week cycle of separate lifts, then repeat. And evrytime i come back to each workout i want my max to improve?
Ideally, but you have to address your weak points with your assistance lifts and your dynamic training. FYI, this method is called the conjugate method and there is tons of information about it on the internet.