Ladder reps

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I didn't invent these or anything, but I have always utilized them during my early stages of training. You'll often see me type "20 reps" or so on pullups in my training logs and while it's not usual that I can do 20 pullups straight; I do use a method that allows me to do 20 pullups pretty achievable.

Say you can only do 3 pullups at a time without stopping, you will do this.

3 pullups, then you would rest about 30 seconds.
2 pullups, then you would rest about 30 seconds.
1 pullup, then you would rest about 30 seconds. If you are not completely worn out, then you would continue.
1 pullup, then you would rest about 30 seconds.
2 pullups, then you would rest about 30 seconds.
3 pullups, etc.

While you could only do 3 pullups at a time at this point, you officially accomplished 12 in this session. This will help you complete more pullups at a time.

Each time you do this, you should add "1" more rep to each set; meaning the next week you would do 4 reps after 3 and continue. Pretty soon you will be doing 20-30 pullups in a total session. The most I have ever completed at a time was like 13-15. I'm not sure I didn't write it down but it was in the teens, but it was allowing me to complete 30-40 pullups in a single session.

Hope you guys that try this enjoy it and see some gains! Just thought I'd share.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
not bad ill try this as well, I sometimes do the 3 deep breaths then repeat the excercise but its a little harder and wont get as many reps in.
Ill try and work both in lol

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I started out doing them with just my bodyweight and now I do them weighted. I can get 20 weighted pullups in a total now pretty easily with them.

M

MB35

Awards
I just started doing this the other day actually. I've always wanted to be able to do a good set of 10 pull ups but I can't do more than 3 currently. I was using the assisted pull up machine hoping i'd build strength but after about a month or 2 of no real change I figured there is no substitute for just doing pull ups. So now I'm doing this every back session for a total of 15 pull ups until I can hit 15 in a row.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I just started doing this the other day actually. I've always wanted to be able to do a good set of 10 pull ups but I can't do more than 3 currently. I was using the assisted pull up machine hoping i'd build strength but after about a month or 2 of no real change I figured there is no substitute for just doing pull ups. So now I'm doing this every back session for a total of 15 pull ups until I can hit 15 in a row.
Hope it works out for the best for you, friend.