PHAT Training: Explain Something To Me, Please!

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I can't post the link to the workout because my post count is too low, but google Layne Norton full power hypertrophy from simplyshredded dot com and you'll see what I'm talking about. I just had two basic questions on the workout by itself. I think I know the answer, but I just want to double check.

I condensed most of what the website says here:

Layne Norton PHAT Series

Day 1: Upper Body Power
Day 2: Lower Body Power
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy
Day 7: Rest

TIPS:

* There are several dozen forms of the PHAT program but the basic premise is the same. Each muscle gets worked 2x/week. The first 2 days of the week are split into upper and lower body power days. This is followed by a rest day. Then 3 days of traditional hypertrophy orientated bodybuilding training.

POWER DAYS

1) LOWER BODY
- squats, front squats, deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, and box squats
2) UPPER BODY
- Barbell and dumbbell presses and rows as well as weighted pullups for upper body
3) AUXILIARY
- leg extensions, glute ham raises, good mornings, standing + seated calf rises
- dumbbell presses, upright rows, curls, and skull crushers for upper body

* stay in the 3-5 rep range for 3-5 working sets on the COMPOUND MOVEMENTS
* only use one power movement for lower body, presses, and pulls/rows, i.e. don’t do squats and front squats in the same workout
* rest enough in between sets to completely recover and be ready for your next heavy set
* rotate your power movements every 2-3 weeks

HYPERTROPHY DAYS

* do some speed work (6-8 sets of 3 reps) with 65-70% of your 3-5 rep max to start your workout with the power exercise you used earlier in the week (the one BIG compound exercise)
* Rest no longer than 90 seconds in between each of the speed sets
* After you finish with your speed work for the day you should train basically like you normally would for a bodybuilder. Your rep range should be 8-20 and keep your rest periods to 1-2 minutes between sets. I would increase the volume of these sessions by approximately 50-75% compared to your power days
* I only recommend going to absolute failure on the last 1-2 sets of each exercise once you have adapted to the routine. On prior sets stop 1-2 reps shy of failure.
**** For the first 2-4 weeks you should NOT train to failure at all until your body becomes accustomed to the volume and frequency.

THE WORKOUTS:

UPPER BODY POWER DAY
Pulling Power Movement: Bent over or Pendlay rows: 3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance Pulling movement: Weighted Pull ups: 2 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary Pulling movement: Rack chins: 2 sets of 6-10 reps
Pressing Power Movement: Flat dumbbell presses: 3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Weighted dips: 2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Seated dumbbell shoulder presses: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary curling movement: Cambered bar curls: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary extension movement: Skull crushers: 3 sets of 6-10 reps

LOWER BODY POWER DAY
Pressing Power Movement: Squats: 3 sets of 3-5 reps
Assistance pressing movement: Hack Squats: 2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance extension movement: Leg extensions: 2 sets of 6-10 reps
Assistance pulling movement: Stiff legged deadlifts: 3 sets of 5-8 reps
Assistance pulling/curling movement: Glute ham raises or lying leg curls: 2 sets of 6-10
Auxiliary calf movement: Standing calf raise: 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Auxiliary calf movement: Seated calf raise: 2 sets of 6-10 reps

BACK + SHOULDERS HYPERTROPHY DAY
Pulling Power Exercise speed work: Bent over or Pendlay rows: 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
Hypertrophy pulling movement: Rack chins: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy pulling movement: Seated cable row: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy pulling movement: Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy pulling movement: Close grip pulldowns: 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Seated dumbbell presses: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Upright rows: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy shoulder movement: Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables: 3 sets of 12-20 reps

LOWER BODY HYPERTROPHY DAY
Lower Body Power Exercise speed work: Squats: 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hack squats: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy pressing movement: Leg presses: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy extension movement: Leg extensions: 3 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy pulling movement: Romanian deadlifts: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy curling movement: Lying leg curls: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy curling movement: Seated leg curls: 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy calf movement: Donkey calf raises: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
Hypertrophy calf movement: Seated calf raises: 3 sets of 15-20 reps

CHEST + ARMS HYPERTROPHY DAY
Pressing Power Exercise speed work: Flat dumbbell presses: 6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max
Hypertrophy pressing movement: Incline dumbbell presses: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy pressing movement: Hammer strength chest press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy fly movement: Incline cable flyes: 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy curling exercise: Cambered bar preacher curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy curling exercise: Dumbbell concentration curls: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy curling exercise: Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench: 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy extension exercise: Seated tricep extension with cambered bar: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable pressdowns with rope attachment: 2 sets of 12-15 reps
Hypertrophy extension exercise: Cable kickbacks: 2 sets of 15-20 reps
Question 1: So if I'm reading this right, pick ONE POWER move to do for the day its assigned. The UPPERs include picking one from BB/DB press, BB/DB rows as well as weighted pullups... and LOWER includes picking one from: squats, front squats, deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, and box squats... this is correct?

Question 2: On the workout days, are you supposed to do ALL of the workouts he has listed? Including all of the auxiliary/accessory movements as well? Or just pick from a few of those? Thats where I'm most confused.

Just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks,

Dave

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
Remember it's a template, it can be modified any way to suit your needs as long as its with in the phat guidelines!

For Upper body power pick upper body movements lol eg: bench press - shoulder press - barbell row ect ect for 5x5 if bulking 3x5 when cutting! pick 100 exercises for upper body or 1 it doesnt matter, just regulate volume and intensity for "you" to avoid overtraining and make progression

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Remember it's a template, it can be modified any way to suit your needs as long as its with in the phat guidelines!

For Upper body power pick upper body movements lol eg: bench press - shoulder press - barbell row ect ect for 5x5 if bulking 3x5 when cutting! pick 100 exercises for upper body or 1 it doesnt matter, just regulate volume and intensity for "you" to avoid overtraining and make progression
I get that. I was asking if I had the CORRECT POWER movements and I wasn't picking one that was supposed to be an accessory/auxiliary movement. He said to rotate out the POWER movement every 2-3weeks. So I was making sure I set up the right "pool" of POWER workouts so I knew what I could choose from when it was time to rotate.

UPPER POWER movements: BB/DB press, BB/DB rows as well as weighted pullups (choose one of these, do just the one, and switch it up in 2-3weeks)

LOWER POWER movements: squats, front squats, deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, and box squats (choose one of these, do just the one, and switch it up in 2-3weeks)

I was just making sure those were the correct power movements.

I guess I'll take it in stride and work up to how many of the additional workouts I'd like to add to the POWER (compound) lifts.

Thanks.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards

Wow you steve nashed my comments! It's a template buddy just put your info in it and remember you HAVE TO TWEEK IT. It's just to get you started. You have to make the necessary adjustments per your body size. Not to mention your extremely tall so you want to make sure your safe with your exercises to stay away from injury at all costs.