Is it better to start with 5x5 or German Volume Training (GVT)???

Lee Van Cleef

Lee Van Cleef

Awards
I got into a motorcycle accident a little over a year ago. I broke a few ribs and needed surgery (metal brackets and whatnot). This put me out of commission and I haven't been to the gym since November of 2010. At the time of the accident I was about 175-180lbs. and around 10-12% BF. Because of the accident I'm around 155 and about 16-17% BF. This is pretty depressing but I'm determined to get back to 175-180 and to have an even lower bf%.

I've done some interval running on a treadmill and I did try 1 set of flat bench on a machine (no free weights where I was) to see if I was gym ready and I am. My question is since I haven't done any lifting whatsoever in a little over a year is it better to start with a 5x5 system or is it okay to start a GVT one? From what I read the GVT will absolutely kick my ass and to be honest I think it would take me an hour or more to do 10 x 10 of chin ups hahaha. I guess I'm kind of answering my own question with that observation but I figure you guys would probably know best. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
GVT is pretty hardcore. the work capacity is rather high. you have to be well conditioning to get through the workout. so definitely start with a 5x5 program.

alwaysbulking

Awards
5x5, I think SS is the best novice program though. Heard GVT was not for novices and truth be told only really beneficial if you stall out on a program.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
^^I agree stick with the SS It's probably best for you. Congrats getting back in it after an accident. I am purchasing a motorcycle in the next month or so. Any tips?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
^^I agree stick with the SS It's probably best for you. Congrats getting back in it after an accident. I am purchasing a motorcycle in the next month or so. Any tips?
Be careful.
Always look out, u took a riding class? It taught me a lot...

5x5 I debated trying that myself.
I'm looking into a full body 3 times a week now because I'm busy, but the volume is rather low, so I may not grow any tips on that lol.

Lee Van Cleef

Lee Van Cleef

Awards
This is all great feedback. Thank you guys. I was going back and forth as to which 5x5 I'd do (Needsize's, Bill Starr's, Stronglift's, Rippetoe's, etc). I'll go with Rippetoe's as all of you seem to suggest that one. The road to recovery has been tough and I'm looking forward to working on my transformation. I feel that the 5x5 will help me put back on some size and get my strength up to par if I truly dedicate myself to the program. Very excited. Musclegauge1 I sent you a pm.

themondtster

themondtster

Awards
SL5x5 would be a good start. It starts light and will bring you back into lifting better than anything else IMO. After that depends on how you have recovered, maybe a 5/3/1. After reading some stuff from Coach Poliquin once you get a good strength base then cycle it with volume for mass. He highly recommends the GVT. His suggestion once you're ready is 6-8 weeks strength then 4 weeks volume, deload and repeat.