Build muscle or lose wieght ?

moises83

Awards
Well I'm 16years old about 6 ft and weigh around 178 lb I'm wondering what is better to gain muscle or loose the weight first? Any tips?

sidoious

sidoious

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How do you wear your 178 pounds? Are you muscular or have no real muscular structure? I'm 6ft too and 178 is pretty ideal, as long as your waist size is 30-32 and your body fat % is fairly lean. I would just exercise with weights, do some cardio, eat clean and make gradual gains. If you do it correctly, and long enough, you could add up to 20 lbs of good muscle. Keep your goal long term and don't cheat with steroids or the like. At your age, your body is producing the kinds of chemicals that older lifters are injecting to build muscle! Focus on your big lifts / muscle groups and don't obsess over the scale or the mirror. Check your measurements once every two weeks and you'll be surprised how far you're coming along!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Your 16 so don't be too hard on yourself. Just get on a consistent program and try to eat as HEALTHY as possible. Your metab and t level are high naturally so try to keep it natural and stay "fit" and "healthy. That's your key

haddock94

Awards
I'm 18 and almost your height ( 5'10"). What I noticed and learned is that there is more than enough test in our blood as it is. Squats and deadlifts are your bestfriend if you wanna gain. But as these men above me said, its how you wear the weight you have, personally, I'm a stocky 250 but with 30% body fat. But a 500 pound squat. You can have extra body fat and still be healthy, I'd just concentrate on gaining muscle than cutting the weight.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
wouldnt worry about cutting unless you are competing in a weight class based sport and you need to make weight. otherwise you are only hurting yourself by cutting. pack on the muscle and enjoy.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wouldnt worry about cutting unless you are competing in a weight class based sport and you need to make weight. otherwise you are only hurting yourself by cutting. pack on the muscle and enjoy.
I second this. At your age and with your training experience (which I'm guessing is minimal) just starting a well designed training program in conjunction with good nutrition is going to allow you to both gain muscle and lean out concomitantly for a brief period of time (probably up to a year).

Br