Substituting dead lifts on modified 5x5 routine--need advice

lboston

lboston

Awards
I am doing a push, pull, legs routine and it follows a 5x5 rep scheme. Back day should look like this:

Dead lifts
Barbell row
Weighted pullups

However, I've been seeing a chiropractor for about 5 weeks due to injuring my back doing dead lifts in January. I don't feel like my back is strong enough yet to give them another go--neither does the doc.

I'm looking for recommendations as to what I could substitute. Thanks for the help!

carnivalhobo

Awards
Nothing is going to be a real substitute, but try rack pulls, sumo deads, trap bar deads, suitcase deads or some other variation to relieve the back issue. Or just go light and post videos so we can fix your form.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Nothing is going to be a real substitute, but try rack pulls, sumo deads, trap bar deads, suitcase deads or some other variation to relieve the back issue. Or just go light and post videos so we can fix your form.
How about Romanian deads? For some reason, those don't seem to bother me much at all.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
if thats the case then your form on deads may be off. any way to post a vid?

as for advice on deads, dr stuart mcgill loves them and recommends them to make a strong injury free back, if done with good form.

lboston

lboston

Awards
if thats the case then your form on deads may be off. any way to post a vid?

as for advice on deads, dr stuart mcgill loves them and recommends them to make a strong injury free back, if done with good form.
More than likely it is the form. Perhaps I will attempt again with lower weight and just make my way up with stricter form.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
You can perform Deadlifts using dumbbells. The benefit from doing it this way is that you can squeeze and contract your back muscles together on the way up from not being limited by range of motion.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
If your back hurts, don't bother with the lift. You are not competing to really risk serious back injury over few lbs of muscle.

lboston

lboston

Awards
If your back hurts, don't bother with the lift. You are not competing to really risk serious back injury over few lbs of muscle.
Very true. I'm a teacher, so unless I'm lifting some kid off the floor it's not very functional for what I do!

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Very true. I'm a teacher, so unless I'm lifting some kid off the floor it's not very functional for what I do!
I have back problems and the last two weeks it has been very annoying. I too see chiropractor. I stopped doing any back workout without support, for example now I do DB rows or smith rows with chest support instead of BB rows. Pullups and pulldowns are no problem.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If weight in that lift or the motion is too much you could possibly try GHRs for a temp substitute till you heal your back up.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are GHRs?
Flute ham raises. YouTube it, you'll know them. The only thing is it is not a back raise in that you raise the upper body by hinging at the waist and using your lower back muscles to raise up but rather you begin by squeezing your glutes and hamstrings tightly to initiate the raise and essentially only finish off the raise with your back muscle. Let me know if that makes sense after you watch a video or two. If not I'll try and reword for you.

Cheers

lboston

lboston

Awards
Flute ham raises. YouTube it, you'll know them. The only thing is it is not a back raise in that you raise the upper body by hinging at the waist and using your lower back muscles to raise up but rather you begin by squeezing your glutes and hamstrings tightly to initiate the raise and essentially only finish off the raise with your back muscle. Let me know if that makes sense after you watch a video or two. If not I'll try and reword for you.

Cheers
Thanks man-I know exactly what you mean. Just didn't get the initials at first. ..my apologies.

Thanks again

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool. Just figure it may not be too stressful on the back but still hit glute hams and lower back.

cisco_trooper

Awards
Can you start Deads with an empty bar and add 5lbs every workout? More than likely you started with more weight than you should or pushed past what you could actually perform, broke form, and then got injured. Start with 45lbs and SLOWLY work your way up. It won't feel like much, but you'll be working your muscles and more importantly you'll be working on your form.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Can you start Deads with an empty bar and add 5lbs every workout? More than likely you started with more weight than you should or pushed past what you could actually perform, broke form, and then got injured. Start with 45lbs and SLOWLY work your way up. It won't feel like much, but you'll be working your muscles and more importantly you'll be working on your form.
I think to start completely over would be a bit too far back. I previously have done 455lb x 1, but hurt my back on only 405lb x1. I am almost certain is was that I didn't warm up properly and arched my back on the way up....that and my set before that was only 225 x 5.

However-like you mentioned, I could certainly (and should) back up the weight quite a bit and focus strictly on the form.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving.