Guys is sugar really necessary pre training for an insulin spike?

Pitbull86

Awards
I have just been told i am not training correctly because of no sugar around workout time?

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
I wouldn't advise an insulin spike while training. Now an insulin spike after training when protein is about to go down the hatch, well that's definitely a good combo. Some sugar preworkout isn't a bad thing, but you don't want to over do it. It really all depends on your goals.

Pitbull86

Awards
Im tryin to lose the last bit of stubborn bf around my lower gut and love handles.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
Then definitely work out on an empty stomach. Then afterwards spike insulin to enhance muscle nutrient uptake.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is there another way to spike insulin?
any food intake spikes insulin to some extent. Why do you want to spike insulin? You want to gain fat and become a type 2 diabetic later in life?

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
Eating a single serving portion of haribo gummy bears after a workout isn't going to cause you to get type 2 diabetes. All this does is elevate your blood sugar so that your muscles will accept nutrients more readily. Oh, and btw sugar is needed.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eating a single serving portion of haribo gummy bears after a workout isn't going to cause you to get type 2 diabetes. All this does is elevate your blood sugar so that your muscles will accept nutrients more readily. Oh, and btw sugar is needed.
There's no evidence sugar is ever needed, he is talking about pre workout not post, and his goal is fat loss not gaining mass.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Post workout I like to have 20-32oz Gatorade and mix it w/ 2 scoops of whey. You got your fast digesting protein and fast digesting carbohydrates. Gatorade is also made w/ Dextrose sugar.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post workout I like to have 20-32oz Gatorade and mix it w/ 2 scoops of whey. You got your fast digesting protein and fast digesting carbohydrates. Gatorade is also made w/ Dextrose sugar.
How the heck do you drink whey mixed with gatorade

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
How the heck do you drink whey mixed with gatorade
The same way u drink it w/ water or milk duahhhhh lol. It does not taste bad and dont knock it till you try it. Red Gatorade and chocolate whey. Really good

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
The same way u drink it w/ water or milk duahhhhh lol. It does not taste bad and dont knock it till you try it. Red Gatorade and chocolate whey. Really good
I literally just gagged that sounds disgusting lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless you're a fasted endurance athlete, sugar is not needed.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
Alright, I'm assuming he's not trying to drop the last two percent of body fat to get to 6% for competition here. We are splitting hairs now. A little bit of sugar post workout is going to do more good for his muscles than its going to do bad for his body fat percentage. If y'all want to be sugar nazi's, be my guest. I'm not saying lots of sugar is good for you, but I'm going to stick to my fast acting carbs post workout. I know it works, and that's all I need to know.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless you're a fasted endurance athlete, sugar is not needed.
Even in that scenario is it really "needed"?

Only scenario I can imagine is for athletes training several times a day (i.e a football player who does conditioning drills/sport specific training and weight lifts in the same day then I can see how you may "need" carbs

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even in that scenario is it really "needed"?

Only scenario I can imagine is for athletes training several times a day (i.e a football player who does conditioning drills/sport specific training and weight lifts in the same day then I can see how you may "need" carbs
The research by Ivy, which is the basis for the post-training sugar usage, is on fasted endurance athletes. I can't recall the exact training loads used, but they expended far more calories than a normal lifting session.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you should read up on HFCS. that **** will kill ya.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Gatorade doesn't have HFCS... Powerade does though

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, I'm assuming he's not trying to drop the last two percent of body fat to get to 6% for competition here. We are splitting hairs now. A little bit of sugar post workout is going to do more good for his muscles than its going to do bad for his body fat percentage. If y'all want to be sugar nazi's, be my guest. I'm not saying lots of sugar is good for you, but I'm going to stick to my fast acting carbs post workout. I know it works, and that's all I need to know.
if you read what the original poster wrote, its sugar PRE workout that he's asking about, not post. thats what the title of the thread reads anyhow.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post wo sugar sheesh this industry really fights to take steps forward.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
if you read what the original poster wrote, its sugar PRE workout that he's asking about, not post. thats what the title of the thread reads anyhow.
Yes, I know. And if you read my original reply I addressed that with my opinion. Then I stated that I think sugar post workout is a good thing. Then you went off on a tangent saying sugar wasn't ever needed.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then I stated that I think sugar post workout is a good thing.
no you said
" Oh, and btw sugar is needed."

You might have meant that you thought it was a good thing but thats not what you typed which is why easy replied that it wasnt needed. Keyword here is "needed"

Then you went off on a tangent saying sugar wasn't ever needed.
Because you said it was

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sugar can be handy, and can be useful particularly for someone who has multiple long training sessions a day. But average person in the gym? no significant difference at all.

EArch

Awards
  • Established
I used to believe that post workout sugar was needed to provide a insulin spike. I would take 80 or 90 grams of dextrose with two scoops of whey. Now I just take the whey and get the same results.

The idea is it would restore depleted glycogen, but there the idea that an hour if lifting with deplete your glycogen stores is unfounded.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, the insulin response is beneficial to hypertrophy and recovery via the effect of insulin binding on mTOR and the resultant increase in protein synthesis.

How much CHO is needed, and if it is even needed post workout is still up for debate. BCAA, especially leucine is quite insuligenic.

Br

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Gatorade doesn't have HFCS... Powerade does though
it appears, according to wikipedia, that just last year gatorade stopped using HFCS and switched to a sucrose-dextrose combination. good to know.

im still against HFCS though in other products.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Idk about you guys but I'm a high volume training guy and I enjoy going sets and reps (drop sets, pause sets). I don't like to leave any stone unturned to a safe degree. I need carbs after my workout or else I just feel like crap.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, the insulin response is beneficial to hypertrophy and recovery via the effect of insulin binding on mTOR and the resultant increase in protein synthesis.

How much CHO is needed, and if it is even needed post workout is still up for debate. BCAA, especially leucine is quite insuligenic.

Br
3g of Leucine is the generally accepted amount needed for mTOR and protein synthesis.