Strongs Lift 5x5

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Has any1 done this routine constantly?
What were your results and physique changes.

I was reading where people praised this over a split routine....

What are your thoughts?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I haven't followed strong lifts, but I have been following a 5x5 for that past two months and have absolutely been loving it.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I haven't followed strong lifts, but I have been following a 5x5 for that past two months and have absolutely been loving it.
What's your 5x5 routine look like/consist of?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's your 5x5 routine look like/consist of?
I'll write it all down and send it to ya tomorrow man. In a nut shell I lift 4 days a week. Start all lifts 65% of 1RM and progress up each week, deload, add 10lbs to all lifts, rinse and repeat. It's prolly one of my favorite routines that I've done.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
You've got to understand hypertrophy is depended upon two things: calories and progressive overload. There are no magical workout routines or rep ranges that is going to qualify as "superior" to any other ones. If you are getting stronger every workout and eating enough calories to grow, you are going to witness size and strength increments.

Stronglifts 5x5 is similar to Mark Rippetoe's starting strength routine and is by far one of the best programs for novice. It contains a well-balanced program with enough volume, frequency and progressive resistance to make significant gains with. If you stick with it and do the program as it is and eat enough to grow as well as abide by the principles, you will witness results.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Has any1 done this routine constantly?
What were your results and physique changes.

I was reading where people praised this over a split routine....

What are your thoughts?
I did stronglifts a bit over a year ago and I had great results. I put on, easily, a 100 lbs to my squat, and at lest a solid 25 on the other compound movements the program uses.

The spreadsheet on the SL website is great and easy to follow also--there is also an iPhone app for it.

Give it a go--you won't be disappointed!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I did stronglifts a bit over a year ago and I had great results. I put on, easily, a 100 lbs to my squat, and at lest a solid 25 on the other compound movements the program uses.

The spreadsheet on the SL website is great and easy to follow also--there is also an iPhone app for it.

Give it a go--you won't be disappointed!
Sweet.
Yeah I think I lost focus of deads, squats and compound movements.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just sent my 5x5 to you via PM.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just sent my 5x5 to you via PM.
CopyCat could you shoot me a copy of your workout as well. I'm looking for something to move on to and would like some ideas. Was interested in SL5x5 but a buddy is trying to get me into 5/3/1...

Thx,

Dave

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CopyCat could you shoot me a copy of your workout as well. I'm looking for something to move on to and would like some ideas. Was interested in SL5x5 but a buddy is trying to get me into 5/3/1...

Thx,

Dave
I'll shoot it off to you when I get home from work.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Thx,

Dave
5/3/1 is a great strength program as well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Thx,

Dave
Just sent it.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
I have a question about Stronglifts:

On page 62 of the PDF, in the section called "I Don't Have a Spotter" it says:

Note that you do not need a spotter on the Press/Deadlift, nor should you be doing these lifts inside the rack. On the Press, you return the bar on your chest then to the floor.

But it doesn't say anything about the Bench Press, and this would be the one exercise in which I would want a spotter. What's the best way to manage the Bench in Stronglifts without a spotter?

cisco_trooper

Awards
You could use a power rack. But honestly dude, I'd be more concerned about doing squats without a spotter. Either way, you can do squats and bench press both inside a power rack safely.

easonj23

easonj23

Awards
Power rack for sure.

I ran SL 5x5 and had great results. Now I'm using their provided Madcow 5x5 spreadsheet and loving that.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Squats are ok without a spotter if you know how to dump the bar without injury. I've had to do it once when I totally wasn't expecting it (newer thicker belt = huge pain when I got in the hole). Low bar squat, ditch behind you if necessary. Spotter is def more ideal though.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I'd lift weight sin a cage or with a spotter. I wouldn't lift weights on a regular bench alone without a spotter regardless. Your personal safety is what you should keep in mind regardless of what the book says. It's not like your results will be hindered by someone standing beside you assuring your personal safety. How are you supposed to take your workouts to new extremes and hit personal records without a spotter?

As mentioned, this is a great program. IMO, it's superior to starting strength because it contains bent over barbell rows which is a MUST for healthy shoulders. You'll see great results if you do the program as it is.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
How are you supposed to take your workouts to new extremes and hit personal records without a spotter?
The first time I did SS I didn't have a spotter, set new PR's every workout of course as the program is intended. The day I got a spotter, my bench increased 30 pounds, as I wasn't fearful of killing myself. Basically bench with out a spotter, don't collar the weights so you can dump in a bind. Other than that know what your limit is

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The first time I did SS I didn't have a spotter, set new PR's every workout of course as the program is intended. The day I got a spotter, my bench increased 30 pounds, as I wasn't fearful of killing myself. Basically bench with out a spotter, don't collar the weights so you can dump in a bind. Other than that know what your limit is
During progressive resistance your limits change everyday. The first time I did 4 reps with 275lbs on bench press I didn't have a spotter. I thought I could maybe do it once or twice. I ended up hitting 4 reps just because I knew I could push myself to see what I really had in me.

It's training like this that gives you your limits. If you train without testing those limits you'll hinder your progress. Not to mention so much of a sneeze can cause weights to fall on your chest. 1 person per year dies on a bench press every year. You'll never predict exactly what you can do in the gym and calculators are invalid. The first time I ever benched 405 I predicted my max to be 380. You never know until you try and you can't try without a spotter or a cage.

cisco_trooper

Awards
Squats are ok without a spotter if you know how to dump the bar without injury. I've had to do it once when I totally wasn't expecting it (newer thicker belt = huge pain when I got in the hole). Low bar squat, ditch behind you if necessary. Spotter is def more ideal though.
I guess I don't really see how you can dump the bar when you are in a bind squatting without risking serious injury. Your arms are pinned behind you pretty good. You aren't going to just let got of the bar without risking your shoulders or having the bar roll down your back. You can't just roll forward or you might crush your skull and you can't just roll backward or you might break your ass and/or tailbone. I don't see it. Can you provide some details here?

With a power rack you can set the safety bars right beneath the bottom of your squat and you can roll forward. With a spotter, well, you have a spotter.

xigotmailx

xigotmailx

Awards
  • Established
Lol, I wish I would of had a picture the time I got pinned between the bar and the safety bars in the power rack. I didn't think I was that flexible. It was just epic

lboston

lboston

Awards
I have a question about Stronglifts:

On page 62 of the PDF, in the section called "I Don't Have a Spotter" it says:

Note that you do not need a spotter on the Press/Deadlift, nor should you be doing these lifts inside the rack. On the Press, you return the bar on your chest then to the floor.

But it doesn't say anything about the Bench Press, and this would be the one exercise in which I would want a spotter. What's the best way to manage the Bench in Stronglifts without a spotter?
As I mentioned above, I did SL 5x5 for several months and had great results in body composition and strength gains. It has probably been the most productive program I had followed consistently in some time.

With that being said, I never use a spotter on anything I did--or do now, unless its s day where I am testing my limits. I don't really think it is necessary on the SL program. In fact, it may be counter productive. If you are using a spotter for pure safety, that is one thing. If you are using a spotter to get your 5 sets, 5 reps in then you are cheating yourself. Through progressive overload you will get stronger. No need for forced reps or even struggling to the point of needing assistance to complete a set or a rep.

Use a manageable weight that YOU can do by yourself. Focus on correct form and the weight will add itself week by week. If you are dependent on a spotter then it's not really an accurate depiction of what you are capable of.

That's just my opinion.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
As I mentioned above, I did SL 5x5 for several months and had great results in body composition and strength gains. It has probably been the most productive program I had followed consistently in some time.

With that being said, I never use a spotter on anything I did--or do now, unless its s day where I am testing my limits. I don't really think it is necessary on the SL program. In fact, it may be counter productive. If you are using a spotter for pure safety, that is one thing. If you are using a spotter to get your 5 sets, 5 reps in then you are cheating yourself. Through progressive overload you will get stronger. No need for forced reps or even struggling to the point of needing assistance to complete a set or a rep.

Use a manageable weight that YOU can do by yourself. Focus on correct form and the weight will add itself week by week. If you are dependent on a spotter then it's not really an accurate depiction of what you are capable of.

That's just my opinion.
That beats endless bicep curls huh?

Robbo1

Awards
Do most people tend to do 3 days a week on the strong lift program for strength, then 2-3 days a week working towards size gains?

lboston

lboston

Awards
Do most people tend to do 3 days a week on the strong lift program for strength, then 2-3 days a week working towards size gains?
As long as you are eating enough you'll see results in both size and strength--If your bit used the SL program before. I don't think that many steer away from the 3 days a week that the program calls for. With as many heavy compounds that are in the SL program, that should suffice for what you need. Doing additional days to focus more on hypertrophy only would more than likely lead you to the law of diminishing returns...meaning you overtrain and actually regress.

Others may have done differently, but for me the 3 days a week of heavy compounds was all I wanted!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I guess I don't really see how you can dump the bar when you are in a bind squatting without risking serious injury. Your arms are pinned behind you pretty good. You aren't going to just let got of the bar without risking your shoulders or having the bar roll down your back. You can't just roll forward or you might crush your skull and you can't just roll backward or you might break your ass and/or tailbone. I don't see it. Can you provide some details here?

With a power rack you can set the safety bars right beneath the bottom of your squat and you can roll forward. With a spotter, well, you have a spotter.
Dumping a barbell while squatting is very easy actually. If you watch some videos of olympic weightlifters doing back squats, they will often just dump the weight off their backs when they finish their sets. Even with safety bars, you'll still need to somewhat dump it. At my powerlifting gym though, even with spotters, sometimes people need to dump it in a bind. Never heard of or seen anyone get injured doing it. We use bumper plates though, but even still, the weights never hit anyone. Google some videos of ditching forward or backwards. It's definitely something you'll want to learn at some point in your lifting career.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have not actually followed SL 5x5, but I would say to stick with it's schedule. Size will come with strength. It will just be secondary to the strength as is the intention of the program. Though, if true bodybuilding is your goal, 5x5 is a great place to start and occasionally go to, but is not where you want to stay in your routines. At least when at the competitive levels anyways. The 5x5 that I have been following is a 4 day a week routine that I don Mon, Tue, Thurs, & Fri. Outside of cardio, core work etc I do not want to add more days. In fact, I spaced out yesterday and mixed my days up which meant that I was working certain muscle groups too close together without enough rest and it became clear as day and the realization of my blunder came when I was doing DB rows. I thought, damn why is this so sore each lift? Oh, yeah..lol

lboston

lboston

Awards
I have not actually followed SL 5x5, but I would say to stick with it's schedule. Size will come with strength. It will just be secondary to the strength as is the intention of the program. Though, if true bodybuilding is your goal, 5x5 is a great place to start and occasionally go to, but is not where you want to stay in your routines. At least when at the competitive levels anyways. The 5x5 that I have been following is a 4 day a week routine that I don Mon, Tue, Thurs, & Fri. Outside of cardio, core work etc I do not want to add more days. In fact, I spaced out yesterday and mixed my days up which meant that I was working certain muscle groups too close together without enough rest and it became clear as day and the realization of my blunder came when I was doing DB rows. I thought, damn why is this so sore each lift? Oh, yeah..lol
What's you're 4 day 5x5 looking like? I'd love to see it.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's you're 4 day 5x5 looking like? I'd love to see it.
Here you go...

Split:
Perform each workout once per week. Day1 & 2 can be on back to back days, same for day 3 & 4 (I doMon, Tues, Thurs, Fri).

How To:
Perform the exercises as straight sets,completing all the prescribed sets for one move before going on tothe next. Pay attention to the percentages of your 1RM assigned toeach 5x5 lift. They will increase each week. If your 1RM is 300 lbs,a set that calls for 65% of it will be done at 195 lbs. The loadswill increase as follows:

Wk 1: 65% of 1RM
Wk 2: 75% of 1RM
Wk 3: 85% of 1RM
Wk 4: 60% of 1RM... Reduce the sets onthe remaining exercises to two each.
Wk 5: Add 5 lbs to upper-body lifts and10 lbs to lower-body lifts, and begin the cycle again at 65%.

Lifts...

Day 1:
Squat 5x5
Power Clean 5x5
Split Squat 3x6 (each leg)
Hanging Leg Raise 3x As many aspossible

Day 2:
Bench Press 5x5
Dips 3x As many as possible
Bent Over Row 3x8-12
Pull-ups 3x As many as possible
Side Bends 3x8-12 (each side)

Day 3:
Deadlift 5x5
Front Squat 3x8-12 (I actually ended updoing this 5x5 more often so I could keep pace w/ Pwr Cleans)
Back Raise 3x8-12
Planks 5x10 sec hold (tense all musclesas hard as possible, increase hold as feasible)

Day 4:
Overhead Press 5x5
Incline DB Press 3x8-12
Tate Press 3x8-12
One-arm DB Row 3x8-12 (each side)
Hammer Curl 3x8-12

*During the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] cycle Iadded BB shrugs 3x15 to Day 1, Triceps cable push down drop sets to failure on Day 2, calf raises 3-4x20 to Day 3, and Lateral DB raises3x8-12 on Day 4 (if time permitted). All these extra exercises were added as the last lift of the workout.

Cardio:
I usually do 10-20 min of cardio post workout, switching it up always from the bike, treadmill, stair climber, C2 Rower, & Jump rope. On some of my off days, maybe 1-2 days a wk, I will run outside doing tempo runs, sprints, time trails, etc. It various as well.

Warm-up:
Before every workout I follow a dynamic warm-up routine thatconsists of following each exercise in order to create a round andcomplete 3 rounds:

Rotate a PVC pipe from in front to behind by going over head x10
Over head air squat with PVC pipe x10
Side lunges x3 to each side
Pull-ups x5-10
Push-ups x10-15 (maybe add a few scapular push ups)
Samson stretch x10-15 secs
Sit-ups x10
Glute raise bridges x5-10

Cool-down:
After every workout I use various static stretches focusing on flexibility and mobility, and with emphasis on the muscle groups,tendons, joints, etc that were worked out that day, but whole body none the less.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established

That's just my opinion.
Having a spotter doesn't always mean forced reps. You're only cheating yourself with a linear program using that logic. When referring to a spotter I am talking about having someone give you a lift off the rack, stand behind you through squats, stand behind you through presses, etc. Using a spotter for the benefits of your personal safety and not having someone shrug the weight while you're bench pressing it.