1 QUICK QUESTION....???

TrumpetLegend

Awards
1) In order to be symmetrical, do the push and pull muscles have to be lifting the same amount? (Example - 20LBS x 12 reps 22.5 x 10 reps and 25 x 8 reps for both Bicep curl and Close Bench or like 100lbs x 12 for bench and 100lbs x 12 for barbell row?) I'm asking because I can bench dramatically more than I can do with barbell rows. I've been trying to work it up so they are even, but I feel like it is holding me back...I'm willing to wait if that will effect my symmetry though...

Thanks guys!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Short answer is no. You do not have to use the same weight on opposite groups doing push/pull.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
But you should have equal volume of pushing to pulling exercises in your program over the course of a training cycle (i.e.: most training cycles in bodybuilding are 1 week).

So, if you do 3 sets of bench press, 3 sets of incline press, and 3 sets of flys, you should perform something like:
3 sets of barbell rows, 3 sets of seated pulley rows, 3 sets of face pulls.
The same holds true for deltoid work circa pull ups/downs.

Br

TrumpetLegend

Awards
OK thanks. So it's OK to keep increasing bench even though the barbell row isn't at the same weight. Thanks! Could you guys please elaborate as to how that will still allow me to be symmetric? (I believe you, but I'm just curious as to how it works.) By the way, I apologize if it sounds like I'm being short. I just spent like 15 minutes typing a whole response with my workout regime etc... and I deleted it by mistake so I'm retyping something similar. I'm doing my first cut as I have extra weight, but it's all around my mid section. I can't seem to gain muscle and after trying even with a strict diet, it seems to have mostly gone there. I was told to cut down to about 6%-10% bf range and then try to gain muscle and to focus on compound exercises for now. I'm doing HIIT training 3x per week on Monday and Thursday after working out and before eating, and first thing upon waking up Saturday morning before breakfast. I'm working up to 15 30 second sets at 8MPH with 30 seconds rest in between each at 30MPH so 30 seconds 8MPH, 30 seconds 3MPH back and forth. So far I'm up to about 5 intervals so far. (Just started last week)

This is my routine. Please let me know what you think as I'm trying to hit every part of every muscle or as close to it as possible. I'm focusing on compound exercises for now. 3 sets of each (12x, 10x, 8x increasing weight) and trying to increase weight each week. I plan to eventually substitute bicep curls for chins and close grip bench for dips when I can afford a power tower. I'm also working up abs 3 sets of 20x (Body weight) I tend to do 2-3 super sets per work out and don't work out more than 1 hour- 1 hour 15 minutes tops +15 minutes to cardio which I hope to work up to around 30 minutes once I get HIIT to 15 intervals plus 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down at the end. The exercises below are not listed in any particular order....

Monday and Friday

Flat Bench
Barbell Row
Close Grip Bench
Barbell Curl
Military Press
Shrug
Monday- 3x leg raises
Thursday- 3x decline sit up

Wed, Sat and Sunday-Off

Tuesday and Friday

Olympic Squats (Works hams and quads)
Front Squats
Stiff Legged Deadlifts (With lower back move added ad the end like a regular dead lift)
Seated Calf Raises
Standing Calf Raises
Was going to add leg curls but haven't because hams are worked by the squat too. Do you guys think that's OK and am I missing anything?
Tuesday-Oblique Twists
Friday-Crunches ...Was going to add in hyper extensions for lower back, but I'm already doing squats without a belt and stiff deads with the lower back move at the end. I don't use a belt ever for anything. I do most of my workout with the smith machine and I have some free weights to work with for curls and stuff.

Will this hit everything and do you guys think this is a good place to start? I feel like I should add in a rear shoulder move, some laterals, and leg raises eventually but for now I barely get this done in one hour...So what do you all think?