Chest Training

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.36%

Chest Training

I have noticed (and had pointed out) that my chest seems to be lagging behind the rest of my body. I also have a fairly weak Bench Press in relation to my other lifts.

I am going to embark on a clean bulk - I am currently following the Stronglifts 5x5 program as I have had some good results from it.

Problem is, when I bench press, I tend to feel it in my anterior delts before I feel it in my pecs.

I think I have good form, shoulders pulled back tight, slight arch in my back, feet firmly planted, elbows about 45 degrees to my sides.....

Is there anything I can add or change in my workout that will help my pecs grow?

I have sort of run out of ideas on my own - I do a lot of reading and watch a load of videos, but think it is time to ask for some advice......

So any ideas and comments welcome

Thanks

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.22%

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBassGuy
    I have noticed (and had pointed out) that my chest seems to be lagging behind the rest of my body. I also have a fairly weak Bench Press in relation to my other lifts.

I am going to embark on a clean bulk - I am currently following the Stronglifts 5x5 program as I have had some good results from it.

Problem is, when I bench press, I tend to feel it in my anterior delts before I feel it in my pecs.

I think I have good form, shoulders pulled back tight, slight arch in my back, feet firmly planted, elbows about 45 degrees to my sides.....

Is there anything I can add or change in my workout that will help my pecs grow?

I have sort of run out of ideas on my own - I do a lot of reading and watch a load of videos, but think it is time to ask for some advice......

So any ideas and comments welcome

Thanks
    IMO U should mix in some isolation movements. Such as DB flys, cable flys, maybe some hammer strength presses. But definitely stick to the bench, it's the best. Ur form sounds good, so some isolation movements might help spark some extra growth. OH, and also dips will help tremendously too...
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.02%

Yeah man I have same problem. Do u do dumbell ?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.36%

Thanks guys - I work out at home so no cable or hammer strength machines.

But I do have Olympic bar, and Olympic dumbbell handles. Will add some DB flys to my routine.

I have done DB incline presses in the past, you think I should add DB Incline and DB flat presses to my regular routine as well?

Also - I have a squat rack, if I build some bars to hook over the safety bars, I could set up a dip station that way right?

That is safe right?
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

i had the same problem, i focused directly on bb incline and bb decline with flat bench only used as warmups or high rep failures...
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBassGuy View Post
    Thanks guys - I work out at home so no cable or hammer strength machines.

But I do have Olympic bar, and Olympic dumbbell handles. Will add some DB flys to my routine.

I have done DB incline presses in the past, you think I should add DB Incline and DB flat presses to my regular routine as well?

Also - I have a squat rack, if I build some bars to hook over the safety bars, I could set up a dip station that way right?

That is safe right?
    if you have an adj. bench...incline/decline/flat then you can build your own powercage.. if your interested i can link you a few sites
    www.lgsciences.com
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.36%

I have an adjustable bench (decline/flat/incline) and a 4 post cage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DUW51...I&linkCode=asn

I figured that with 2 more bars, laid across the safety bars in my cage (and secured somehow) - about shoulder width apart would make a good dip station - does that sound ok?
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.08%

you can also build one out of pvc or galvanized pipe...www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com
    www.lgsciences.com
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.36%

Coool - I feel some DIY coming on next weekend - watch this space.

First I will build a dip station, next I will build a solid routine, then I will build some pecs!
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.08%

sounds like a plan
    www.lgsciences.com
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.02%

Try to really tens that chest on each rep. And go nice and slow see if that helps
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.14%

I'm fairly new but u say u feel bench n ur Delts more? Maybe u should try to pre exhaust them first so when u bench ur chest will pick up the slack, just an idea, n I noticed more growth n my chest by doing DB flat n decline presses
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.19%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Are your elbows flairing out when benching? That can lead to more anterior delt recruitment. The other option is to use dumbbells to reduce the amount of lateral force (i.e.: your triceps).

Br
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

The way I'm built, barbell bench presses are of little worth to me, so I stick with DB presses, dips and flyes. I do DB pullovers too.

Doesn't matter if I'm pressing heavy or not, DB presses do more for me.

A superset that I'm really fond of is doing incline DB flyes followed directly by incline DB presses.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.02%

Yeah db are good but on incline with no spotter I find u cant get ur max weight up with out a spotter
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I actually think this may be something simple. You said you feel it in your anterior delts - sounds like you're not setting up properly on the bench. Make sure to pinch your shoulder blades together when you set up for the bench, as if you're trying to hold a nickel in between your shoulder blades. Really dig your traps into the bench. Grip the bar tight, unrack it, and then as you descend with the bar pretend like you're pulling the bar apart and start tucking your elbows.

For more good tips check out some of the links for bench press here: Proper Techniques
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My suggestion would be to get some micro-loads and very slowly start upping your bench poundages. Remember slow and steady wins the race. Also Dip your ass off. High rep BW dips.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.74%

Supersetting flys w/ a pressing movement w/ dumbbells sounds pretty good for conditioning. I believe Rich Gaspari used to do that for a contest prep back in the day

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
  2. Chest Training
    By Bulldawg07 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
  3. over-training chest?
    By lennoxchi in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
  4. Chest training