training in pain

theslime

Awards
I've had my good share of injuries over the years and I think i'm starting to give up on trying to train completely pain free. Some joints have hurt for so long, even with taking long time off and starting back slowly, the pain doesn'T go away. I have really tried everything. Am I the only one who seems destined to train with pain or do some of you share this situation?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Actually I have a few pains that don't go away and more than likely will not go away.. just a fact of life with me... I try to not let me affect me training or with other things but there are some days that it just does seem to work that way.. what exactly is the pain from or where is it located?

theslime

Awards
I have had lateral hip pain for more than a year (mostly squats and heavy deadlifts hurt), took various anti-inflammatories (motrin, naproxen, viox) then received four cortisone shots for it. I also took time off after the shots. Nothing really solved the problem, everything just made it a little better for a while. I also saw a few doctors, physios, chiros, took glucosamine. Right now, I also have elbow pain when doing pressing exercises (not curling), and also pain in my lower trap (when doing shrugs) and a bit of shoulder pain (when doing chins). Nothing really hurts terribly, it just sucks and I need to really focus when I'm tired or else it can bother my training. Mathew, do you still take anti-inflammatories once in a while? How do you manage your pain?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
I do take them every once in a while and but mine is related to my back surgery and just general old body that has been through a ton of ****... Managing my pain.. I can't really tell you what I do... I have just a really high thresh hold for pain and it really takes a lot to get me out of the game.. my chiro did help some when my back was acting up but it took surgery to make the pain go away for a while... it is kinda there but not at bad as it had gotten this time last year.. sorry I am not much help..

theslime

Awards
Thanks. I guess I wasn't really looking for help anyways, I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes to train too much to stop even when I have many signs that seem to say I should!

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately once you tweek something it's very unlikely to ever return to 100%. I sprained my back on a deadlift a few months ago and even with recovery it's still not right.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
left wrist has always been a problem, ever since a high school basketball injury. When volume and weight gets high, i feel it hard in the joints even still. Not the only one bro.
Sage

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel ya bro, I'm just about always dealing with some sort of pain when lifting, it's something that I've just had to become accustomed to. I think quite a bit of the old injuries stemmed from when I started training, when my form sucked ass and I couldn't be bothered to take the proper time to warm up. What I've found to help is elbow braces to keep my elbow joints warm. For lower body workouts I take a generous amount of time stretching out hip flexors, quads, etc. This has helped me to improve flexibility, thus improving exercise form, depth, and avoid further injuries.

I've been afraid to take anti-inflammatories because of their protein synthesis reduction properties. Would it be safe to run a course of anti-inflammatories on an upcoming week off that I have, when protein synthesis wouldn't be of such a high concern? I've had an inflamed knee tendon for a year or so, and I'd like to take a crack at reducing the inflammation.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Has anyone here tried ART. I had a bad neck injury that six weeks of therapy and NSAID's didnt even touch; after three sessions with an ART practitioner it was completely taken care of. I've also had a pinched nerve in my right arm which caused my last two fingers to go numb, again therapy for three weeks didnt do crap but my ART guy fixed it in two sessions. Even my back ART has helped immensely. The only thing that they couldnt fix is my wrist but they got me able to lift with it again.

You may have to pay some out of pocket but to me it was well worth it.

LegPress

Awards
Has anyone here tried ART. I had a bad neck injury that six weeks of therapy and NSAID's didnt even touch; after three sessions with an ART practitioner it was completely taken care of. I've also had a pinched nerve in my right arm which caused my last two fingers to go numb, again therapy for three weeks didnt do crap but my ART guy fixed it in two sessions. Even my back ART has helped immensely. The only thing that they couldnt fix is my wrist but they got me able to lift with it again.

You may have to pay some out of pocket but to me it was well worth it.
I did try ART at the suggestion of a chiropractor friend of mine after a nasty shoulder injury. After the first session, I had twice the strength and mobility in my shoulder than I had when I walked in. I had about 8 or 9 more sessions, and all were helpful. Unfortunately, I had 2 tears in my rotator cuff, (one of which required pins and sutures to reattach a tendon to the bone) so ART wasn't completly successful in my case. But I highly recommend it for injuries where surgery isn't required.

As far as pain is concerned, a year and a half after the muscles and tendons were repaired and I still have pain in my shoulder when doing flat bench and especially shoulder press. Pretty much the price I have to pay. If it gets really bad, I ice it and deal with it. I'm not going to stop lifting. :D

LP

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
My shoulder kills me on military press. I do it anyway!

Bring on the pain! It will not keep me down.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have the same lateral hip pain.it's like a constant dull ache limiting range of motion.I know it's from years of squating and deads.What I do to minimize pain is cycle deads with one arm dumbell row or T-Bar every other workout,and the same with legs one week Il do Leg press and the other squat.I never do deads and squats in the same week.This seems to make it managable...give it a try,and if your real bad do not do either for a month..

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My shoulder kills me on military press. I do it anyway!

Bring on the pain! It will not keep me down.
Have you tried doing DB side presses and the like. I know its tougher to go heavy with regular dumbbell presses compared to military but side presses offer an advantage in being able to hoist more weight. DBs are so much easier on shoulders.

Most of my training injury problems can be rectified by just stopping whatever movement is causing the problem. Deadlifting off the floor was causing me quad tendon problems, so I just started doing my deads holding the bar. Problem gone. Heavy squatting getting to knee joints...I switch to box squatting. Problem gone. Little stuff like that helps. I do have some injuries that won't go away at all though. They are usually those that aren't really aggravated by lifting but were caused by lifting (neck injury for example).