Military Press form

ngen52

Awards
I've heard and seen it done different ways. Some people say to go all the way down and touch your chest, some say to only go to 90.

Which way is more effective?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do them standing with a bar as it allows a more natural plane to press from. And touch the chest. If using dps either seated or standing, I try to touch my shoulders

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
The main issue in whether you decide to touch your shoulders or go 90 degrees is that you pick one stick to it and increase the weight or reps each workout... if you have progression with either you will make gains. I personally prefer 90 degrees for shoulder pressed but will touch my chest for all chest exercises.

ngen52

Awards
Thank you! I'm a lot stronger at 90 but when I do standing presses I touch my chest

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
better for what? for improving that movement in that range of motion? or increasing size? increasing strength?

ngen52

Awards
More concerned with size at this point, strength is a close second right now tho

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do them standing with a bar as it allows a more natural plane to press from. And touch the chest. If using dps either seated or standing, I try to touch my shoulders
I agree with this except, I don't touch my chest. I usually hold the bar around throat level(arms at 90deg), as lower then that is putting my shoulder in a compromising position.

The strict overhead press is an awesome movement that is really under utilized. IMO A good measure of upper body strength. You would be surprised how many people can't SOHP their own weight.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok lemme correct I rest on my collar bones, or touch there. But yes zir hit it on the head, once again.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
^^ Agreed.

Here is a great video example: http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=90

Notice the elbows point forward at the bottom of the ROM and the bar finished aligned with the feet (i.e.: elbows are in line with or behind ears).

br

Br
The only thing I don't like about that video is(and it could be just the angle it is shot at) is it looks like his wrist is extremely C0Cked. Try that with some real weight and you won't be a happy camper..lol

I do them like this which is pretty similar to the posted video except keeping the wrist a bit more upright.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T3jgnQb1HM&list=UUb4liVMUN2yZEtSmaE-WYGw&index=16&feature=plcp

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
If you are concerned with size than keep constant tension on the muscle. Don't lock out on the top and don't come all the way down to your upper chest. I personally bring the bar down to my chin area

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I see what you mean. In the prior video he is starting as if he just finished a hang clean, and the bar is resting across his shoulders and the wrist does appear to break. In the video you posted the wrist is a bit more in line. Definetly something to consider.

Br

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I see what you mean. In the prior video he is starting as if he just finished a hang clean, and the bar is resting across his shoulders and the wrist does appear to break. In the video you posted the wrist is a bit more in line. Definetly something to consider.

Br
Exactly. Might not be too bad if you are used to that sort of thing I just know my wrists would hate me. Lol even heavy squats kill them.