Mixing up reps? - AnabolicMinds.com

Mixing up reps?

1. New Member

Mixing up reps?

Hey fellas how often do u mix up reps/ sets and excises?every few wks do a wk of high reps?or two wks of high reps?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  170 lbs.

What are you trying to accomplish? A lot of the great strength training programs have scheduled weeks of deloading, which is simply a decrease in the amount of weight you lift without mixing up the number of reps. This allows your body to repair and catch up. The following week you hit the weights heavy again and continue making gains.

I haven't looking into body building programs, so I can't speak to that.
    Starting Weight: 155lbs. Current Weight: 170lbs. Target Weight 185lbs.
    Beginning SL 5x5.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

i have been following the conjugate system for some time now and every workout has different reps, sets, intensity, and exercises.

the goal of each workout stays the same week to week. every 4 weeks the goal changes though for the next 4 week cycle.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.

Your prior training has a lot to do with it. If you're still pretty young (training age-wise) you'll require less variation in training so you might be able to train six+ weeks before even having a down week, and the same stimulus will stay effective for quite a while (i.e., you'll require less exercise/set/rep variation from block of training to block of training).

Once you become more experienced and the weights start increasing, recovery weeks will come more often (every 4-5 weeks) and you'll need to change training stimuli more often (say, every block or two). If you're super elite, things get hectic, but we'll assume you fall into one of the other categories.

If you are new(er) to training, focus on building a strong base--nothing fancy, just plenty of strength-endurance and strength work with compound movements. If you have quite a bit of training already, we can talk shop on other methods.

Regardless, just keep in mind that high training volume needs to be followed by lower volumes to allow for recovery (don't beat yourself up for months without down weeks or decreases in training load).
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

For bodybuilding purposes, my programs follow a periodization something like

Major movements (bench, squat, deadlift, press) 6-9 weeks
    Ancillary movements change every 2-3 weeks

Rep and set ranges change once every 2-3 weeks depending on the goal of the mesocycle.

Br
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    For bodybuilding purposes, my programs follow a periodization something like

Major movements (bench, squat, deadlift, press) 6-9 weeks
    Ancillary movements change every 2-3 weeks

Rep and set ranges change once every 2-3 weeks depending on the goal of the mesocycle.

Br
    Can you expand on that a little more? What happens after the 6-9 weeks for the major movements? aren't you doing them all throughout the cycle?

I've been reading about changing the reps and sets frequently, but haven't tried it yet. I need to read more about proper setup/planning.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fadi

Can you expand on that a little more? What happens after the 6-9 weeks for the major movements? aren't you doing them all throughout the cycle?

I've been reading about changing the reps and sets frequently, but haven't tried it yet. I need to read more about proper setup/planning.
    I'll take an educated guess and say he's referring to varying the exercise. It's still going to be a squat, bench, press, and DL--just varied. So maybe front squats, incline bench, push press, and hex deads instead. Then either return to the previous or move to another variant (depends what you're training for). If you're powerlifting, for instance, your big three are important components so you want those motor patterns to stay fresh. On the other hand, if you're bodybuilding you can take more leeway.

Sport performance wise, you can remove certain exercises at certain times (say shift front squats in for back squats during 5s) then reintroduce backs during 3s so you are able to experience the benefits of a "semi novel" movement--ie, your body shows gains faster and greater than what you would see if you only did back squats during that period.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Yes, basically what was said above.

For many of my programs, the major exercise remains for the entire mesocycle (say an 8 week run at hypertrophy). During that time there will be two 3 week microcycles, one aimed at increasing sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (10-15 rep range) and one for myofibril hypertrophy/strength (5-8 rep range). The major exercises will stay constant over the course of 8 weeks; however, rep ranges will change as described above. The ancillary movements and rep ranges will change with each micro cycle, as will core and stabilizer movements.

Br
  9. New Member

So red after the 8 week cycle?it just repeats again?or?I'm 98kgs pure mass gaining ATM, I train all main muscles with big muscle movements 3 times (EOD) heavy reps max of 6 iv been doing that for 8-9 wks and know I need to mix it up, so do a few wks of higher reps (12-15) will this still build muscle on those same excises or as the other bloke said do a variation of those excises?and how long until I can go back to the excises I'm doing now?
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

After 8 weeks (or whatever time) you would analyze results and needs, and program a new training cycles.

Lets make this simple...

3 weeks of reps at 10-15, 1 week deload, 3 weeks of reps at 4-6, 1 week deload, 3 weeks at reps 7-9, 1 week deload.

Keep your major movements the same for the entire period: squats, deads, bench, press
    Change your ancillary movements every 3 weeks, and vary their reps such that it goes something like (12-15, 8-10, 10-12) on them.

After that period, evaluate results, sub in variants of the major exercises such as: front squats, snatch grip deads, incline bench, standing db press.

Br
  11. New Member

Thanks heaps RED that cleared it up a fair bit, great post.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Low reps or High reps for bicep peak?
    By W13NY in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
  2. Mixing AAS with PH/DS?
    By b2006 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
  3. Heavy reps or lighter reps better for back?
    By GOG in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 09:23 PM
  4. mixing
    By sk8ertam in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 06:49 AM