Always have to to use db :(

tobejb

Awards
Hey iv been hitting the gym just into a year now , none of my pals are interested in training so iv always been on my own 5x a week. As I'm on my own I always hit chest press ect with dumbells am I just being a ***** and should barbell without a spot. I hear smith machines are terrible to use ??

cisco_trooper

Awards
Find a gym with a power rack and safety bars and you can bench press with the barbell safely.

steppinRazor

Awards
Find a gym with a power rack and safety bars and you can bench press with the barbell safely.
good point. never thought of that...otherwise yeah id say go for the smith - its better than nothing

or just use a weight you're comfortable with - when in doubt ask someone for a spot. most people dont mind

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
Ive been training on my own for two year and still use barbell just start of with a comfortable weight and just increase each week or 2 but dont rush it just get use to what u are doing and in my opinion I dont mind smiths because they normaly have safety clips. But dont be shy to ask for a spot I always spot pepoel and I always ask for a spot.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lift without a spot every day and it hasn't stopped me from doing a lift I've wanted to.

Just be smart and the unfortunate thing about being spot-less is that you sometimes have to rack it a rep early.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
I work out solo as well, and just for safety reasons, I never clip my weights. If I have to dump plates in the floor because I can't get that last rep, so be it. They have rubber floors in the gym for a reason. Yeah, I guess it could be embarrassing, but it's better than suffocating while waiting on someone to get the bar off you. But if there is someone around to see you dump plates, why not just ask for a spot?

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
I work out solo as well, and just for safety reasons, I never clip my weights. If I have to dump plates in the floor because I can't get that last rep, so be it. They have rubber floors in the gym for a reason. Yeah, I guess it could be embarrassing, but it's better than suffocating while waiting on someone to get the bar off you. But if there is someone around to see you dump plates, why not just ask for a spot?
Yeah I do the same thing never clip plates. Forgot to say in my last post. Just dont be shy to ask ive seen pepoel get stuck a couple of time. But i Must say it is quite funny when the dont ask and do get stuck under the bar

easonj23

easonj23

Awards
Great advice. I started lifting on a regular bench and never felt comfortable using a lot of weight. Once I got into a rack I could lift with confidence knowing I wasn't going to kill myself.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Just ask someone to spot you I spot anyone who asks and have never had someone say no when I asked for a spot (unless they just didnt know how to spot for an exercise)

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Just ask someone to spot you I spot anyone who asks and have never had someone say no when I asked for a spot (unless they just didnt know how to spot for an exercise)
True this. Just ask someone. Just size em up and if they look capable of lifting the weight off your neck, ask em! I'm sure nobody in their right mind would say no. I know I wouldnt. I'm always more than willing to help someone push their limits safely.

tobejb

Awards
Okay awesome feed back here, I guess your all right about asking guys to spot I suppose I don't like getting in the way I guys routines , if all else fails I'll give the power rack a try! May have been a
Dum question now haha. Cheers though guys .

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
Ull be fine mate. Just dont be shy of asking. Me and a bloke at my gym have spotted each other so much. That if we are there at the same time. We will just train with each other. So u might even find a gym partner after a while good luck bud