Leg workout tips

twizitid

Awards
I've been trying everything to get my legs to grow. I have very long legs so the gains are very slow, but if you guys have any tips or tricks please let me know.
I hit them 1-2 times a week depending on if there spew from the last gym session.
I have no problem with food intake, I'm eating 5300 calories everyday. Thanks for the help

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Perhaps post up your current Leg Workout and let some of these dudes take a look at it.

As for me, I've been going heavy, doing some deep squats and just really pushing myself. Today though, I lowered the weight a little and went for more reps and also did some super-setting. My legs are on fire right now!

I do have 1 tip for you - at the end of your workout, do 100 hindu squats. It might take you a few tries, but keep going, keep counting and get to 100. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSVpo4mzNI

twizitid

Awards
I'll try that out for sure! Thanks man
And my training routine has been changing a bit lately, but it looks like this...
2 warmup sets of leg extensions
2 sets standing calf raises( very deep and held at the top for 1-2 seconds)
Deep squats, full extension- 1 warm up set and 3 working sets. Rep range of 8- 12
Ham string curls 3 sets of 8-15 reps
Another 2 sets of standing calf raises
Leg press 3-4 sets of 15-25 reps
Leg extension 2 sets to failure superset with calf raises to failure

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Toss out the leg extensions and sub in walking DB or BB lunges and also add in either SLDL or good mornings.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Make sure to stretch well before hand. That almost seems common sense though haha.

I like stretching in between sets too. Feels really good to me. When you do squats, make sure you're squatting down as low as you can go. As in, however low you can squat with just the bar, that's how low you want to be going. Don't worry if you used to half squat 100lbs more. You need those full range of motion squats. It is okay though to do some half squats. Where you don't go down ALL the way. I mean, don't half ass it. Go to exrx.net and check it out. On those, go heavy.

Stretch the **** out of them afterward.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I think you need to try squatting first.. Get rid of all those extensions you need more presses

I do this
Squats FIRST
single leg press
hack squat
extension
reverse ext
lying curls
calf raise
calf raise

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with Rodja's tips.

Also, don't do your calves before squats. Tight calves comprimise most peoples squat depth and technique as it is. Do some calf rocks between sets of squats to help stretch them out; but save the actual calf work until the end.

Br

Mivvi

Awards
I target different parts of my quads when I squat by alternating the width of my stance. Close stance does the tear-shaped muscle just above the knee and wide stance does more glutes and outer quad. Can't remember the name of the muscles exactly and can't be bothered Googling them at the moment coz it's almost bed time (haha) but seriously...

I also swear by sprint training as I used to sprint for Scotland for a few years towards the end of school and they made my legs pretty brutal!

Hope this helps buddy.

twizitid

Awards
That's a lot guys, I'll use all your advice! I just slightly injured my knee but I'll be back training legs very soon!

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
If you're going to do squats first - nothing wrong with that at all ! - definitely warm up on the treadmill or do some lighter leg extensions.

Good luck, man!

Roniboney

Awards
Squats 3x4,8,12
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3x4,8,12
Leg Press 3x25-35
Glute Ham Raise 3x as many as possible
Calf Raises 5x15-25
Hyperextensions 3x12-15

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
...... or do some lighter leg extensions.
why do leg extensions for a warm up when squats are a hip dominant movement? it would be like doing tricep extensions to warm up for bench.

Mivvi

Awards
why do leg extensions for a warm up when squats are a hip dominant movement? it would be like doing tricep extensions to warm up for bench.
Was thinking the same thing buddy. Also, why tire your legs out with pointless exercises or with cardio? I mean, sure it's a warm-up but thought you could maybe start off with lighter weights on the squat rack?

But I do agree with what he's saying - that there's nothing wrong with squatting first.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
Go heavy! If you really want to pack on that muscle in your legs, you need to stimulate them to grow. Looks like you're just looking for a pump with such high reps. Do Squats first and throw more weight on it til you can only do 3 reps. Do 5 sets of that. Repeat every week til you can get 5 reps, then add more weight til you can only do 3 again and repeat.

I warm up for squats by doing squats. I do 20 reps with the bar, then just keep adding plates til I get to my working set.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
I've learned to love leg day, as it's changed my overall body with growth.

Still skinny but a work in progress and great info.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A hip mobility warm up and some activation exercises will do wonders for your squat performance.

Br

Mivvi

Awards
Looks like you're just looking for a pump with such high reps.
Without the pump you won't expand the muscle fibre enough for effective growth.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
Go for the pump afterwards. I always end my squats with a ladder set, taking plates off one at a time and squating til I can't do anymore.

mattsams89

Awards
Cool broscience, man. ;) Perhaps from a sarcoplasmic standpoint, but actual myofibrillar hypertrophy comes from applying an adequate stress to the muscles then undertaking proper recovery (it gets a lot more complicated, but that's training in a super general nutshell).

Mivvi

Awards
Cool broscience, man. ;) Perhaps from a sarcoplasmic standpoint, but actual myofibrillar hypertrophy comes from applying an adequate stress to the muscles then undertaking proper recovery (it gets a lot more complicated, but that's training in a super general nutshell).
AWESOME broscience there chief ;-) ! Looks like it's 1-0 to you...!

I just like to use light weights for 2 weeks and get ridiculous pumps before I go and do 6-8 weeks of relatively higher weights to bash out 6-10 reps.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The pump really has nothing to do with growth.

First, despite the NO ads, the pump actually reduces nutrient exchange.

Second, the pump is due to elevated hydrostatic pressure and filtration of fluids into the interstitial space. This means, that the pump is not INTRA muscular. The pump has absolutely nothing to do with the expansion of the muscle fiber, nor does training actually result in an acute increase in muscle fiber size.

If you want to evoke hypertrophy via suprahydration, you'll need some form of intracellular osmolyte...such as extreme glycogen storage.

Br

wtmdcg91

wtmdcg91

Awards
You right you have to put enough stress on the muscle to break it down. The guy doing 3 sets of squats it hardly get the muscle exited. I do some days 5 sets of squats and move to leg presses , hacks and wrap the thigh workout . I work hams on another day you must work them separate not the day of thighs cause you work them indirectly. Calves the same another day ham day and back day!! My thoughts i am a female strength athlete i have squat 425 at 132 body weight , is all in training ! Take your time to kill it right!!!!lol

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Was thinking the same thing buddy. Also, why tire your legs out with pointless exercises or with cardio? I mean, sure it's a warm-up but thought you could maybe start off with lighter weights on the squat rack?

But I do agree with what he's saying - that there's nothing wrong with squatting first.
I'm only doing some leg extensions for a few minutes - just to get some blood flowing. :rofl:Not on there all day...

When I squat I definitely do some lighter squats to warm up.