Powerlifting vs Body Building My plan

Geist

Geist

Awards
Ok I have been doing some thing called Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline, I got a ft 45lb York bar...tough as nails stuff and I also have a 255lb set of Standard plates. I have been on and off due to life kicking my butt moving several times and trying to get collage arranged, have had a year long break to be truthful.

Onto my point though, what do I want out of training?

Power/Strength

The best health I can attain, I am currently out of shape and trying to quit smoking been smoking since I was like 11-12 lol sucks and I am 32 now. I want to stop for good and repair my lungs back to new if I can...hoping that is possible and wondering if there are vitamins and so on that would help aid my body on that issue.

I also want to lose what fat I do have, love handles and so on I hate it and tired of looking at it. I have a 16 mo daughter now and in March this year will have a son, so I want to pretty much do a 180 and hit it hard and heavy and recover my body and make it how I want it.

I'd love to have a low fat index, nothing extreme like for some comp stuff...I have no intentions of competing in the BB sector I'd like to gain muscle and size just not fat...I wanna lose that.

So all in all those are my goals, now for the main question...

Power Lifting or Body Building?

I have read much on both, I know from a lot that I have read that body builders are mainly about the 'pump' I could be mistaken with some I have seen these day's though. But I love the definition they get... However I like to lift heavy, as heavy as I have gotten for 5 reps was 200lbs last summer.

Can I get rid of the fat I hate and get great definition from power lifting? I seen vids of a guy from Latvia called Konstantinovs? The guy is big and is a beast, but also I see he is cut and defined as well. Every one has a diff body structure and so on, but I like his build and how he looks and how he lifts.

No offense all and all I have heard is summed up like this lol...

Power lifters have REAL size and strength, functional strength.

Body Builders are all pump, muscles that are temporarily pumped full of liquid built up from the pump. Pretty much that there all show and no functional strength...or at least no where near as strong as they look. I have seen some BB's lifting some monster weight though, so I dunno if that is all correct.

I don't care for BB'ing mainly because of ALL the technical exercises they do each work out, I don't like the idea of going to failure and think you can avoid failure and gain muscle, strength and size. Also I think isolation exercises are detrimental, yes I have read books like Power to the People by Pavel, but also The Purposful Primitive by Marty Gallagher and yes I own a set of kettlebells and use the Swing for cardio so far.

I am thinking I would fit better into Power-lifting, I love brute strength and also the look of a "Greek Titan". Over all I want to make my health and habits do a 180, feel good and look good, better than I ever have in both areas...also my diet will have to be fairly flexible...as soon I plan on going to collage across the country and I will be working as well as going to collage and very likely wont be able to afford a gym membership...I own a bar plates and a set of three kettlebells...should be every thing a guy needs?

Again hoping this is the right place for my question, this forum is awesome so far and looking to learn every thing I can.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you want to be a powerlifter, train like one. If you want to be a bodybuilder, train like a bodybuilder. That all depends on if your goals center around power or aesthetics. Me personally, I care more about looks than sheer power and strength, so I train like a bodybuilder. I mean, I'm still pretty strong, but since I don't play competitive sports, there's really no point in me trying to become some super weight slinging dude.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass but people often make this stuff out to be way more complicated than it really is.

Whatever your goals, know how to reach them. Sounds cliche, but I'm talking concentrated effort vs. sheer effort. If you're going to do something, do it as efficiently as possible.

Also, what do you mean by powerlifters have real size and strength? Functional strength? Like helping a friend move a couch? And bodybuilders aren't all about the pump. If you powerlift, your muscles are going to get pumped up too haha.

If you care about brute strength the most, train for that. Pretty simple! Everything you'd need to know is out there for free... The internet can be a nice place.

Good luck

Geist

Geist

Awards
Thanks Hero, that's good advice because I been feelin a bit over whelmed because a lot of books have just too much info for a beginner and it can be confusing. Yes I said beginner I wont lie, I have dead lifted 200 pounds for five reps. Which what I've been taught really is the "Never go over 5 reps, and lift heavy and train hard." Pretty much lift big with no more than 5 reps per set and two sets, I think that makes sense how I just described it lol.

But yeah what I meant by "Functional Strength" is stuff that will help out in every day things, yeah a couch could be included. I personally DO NOT see myself on a stage in those little underwear posing all lubed up, no offense to those that do...I just don't think that would be my thing. I really like the looks of some of the physiques, I'd like to get me one too...I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds here and that might not be possible or if it is it's not common.

All that aside this cleared up a bit for me just in one post, I don't play any competitive sports either so...heck maybe BB would be more conducive but then when I hit collage and I'll be working full time plus school as a mechanic I have no idea if I could afford a gym member ship, the diet requited and supps and all of that I hear it is kinda expensive. Then again I know less about BB than I do PL'ing, plus all I own is my barbell, 2 25lb dumbbells and 3 kettlebells lol.

I think I need to explore the BB side of things a bit more, this site here should be a good place to start too. Right now I want to melt off my fat and improve my health first, later on I will want to gain that size and def...sounds like an adventure...suppose I might need to look up the Parillo diet too maybe lol.

Thanks Hero! Awesome post and info!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First off, when it comes to functional strength... Or can I even say a practical application of strength? Anyway, all you really need is good leg and back strength and average upper body strength. I mean, when are you ever going to help someone carry something where you're share of the load is more than 100lbs? It just doesn't happen too often. Most of the time it's less weight than that. Or if you have fantasies about being on-site during an accident and lifting a car to save the hottie thus becoming the hero... That's cool haha

You can train for power while doing conventional bodybuilding training. Honestly, the only reason I would ever be doing a strict powerlifting routine is if I were training for a powerlifting competition. Conventional bodybuilding training can build strength, power and shape. That's just my opinion though.

I like everything to be in as good of proportion as possible, that's why I train like I do. If you were to do strict powerlifting movements only, you'd begin to develop certain muscle groups faster than others. This is how gorilla physiques are born. Something to think about ;)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I like to think of myself as a "powerbuilder" I want my big 3 to be strong and whatnot, but I also want to be aesthetically pleasing when I get neekid!

ManBeast

Geist

Geist

Awards
Gorilla physiques lol
You know that brought to my attention that yeah I love to lift heavy not only because it is impressive not just to others but myself, however Hero and Beast I think also along the same lines as you guy's on the "aesthetically pleasing" part. Hell I'm a fair big guy and I haven't dead lifted in about a year already mostly though it is the fact that I have been told I have an intimidating look of an ex spetsnaz rofl, least that's what I been told by a couple lady friends of mine. I think I could use a bit more of a "aesthetically pleasing" form, and work on my "pissed off" look that I seem to have naturally. (Meaning I don't try one bit but seem to scare the ladies away, so yeah...)

But...how dose one go this road with out a gym full of equipment, also a trainer would be handy at first or? I know there are tons of BS'ers out there posing as trainers and so on, and I'll probably say I am the same thing as you Beast...Power Builder sounds about right lol

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
If you already know proper form on the exercises, its just a matter of doing the right ones to balance your size with cardio/diet for the lean-ness.

ManBeast

mattsams89

Awards
Train the major compound lifts to start. That means dead lifts, squats, overhead presses, bent rows, bench, pull ups, dips, RDLs, etc. You sound like your training age is extremely low, so activating as much muscle as possible is your goal right now. You can include isolation lifts if you want, but your focus should be on compound movements.

I would advise you to find a trainer with at least a reputable certification, but a degree in exercise science or kinesiology is a plus. Buy a few sessions to work on technique and get a block or two of training under your belt, then purchase a few sessions every few months to adjust your training plan.

As far as program design, three full body days or a push, pull, combo design would work well for strength training. For two to three days in between, Charlie Francis style tempo (his website archive is a good source of information) would provide some aerobic work while aiding recovery. I would recommend checking him out as well as Mike Stone. Doc will be a little difficult to understand, but he's about the most intelligent published man you'll find where training is concerned.

weavedogg

weavedogg

Awards
Ok I have been doing some thing called Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline, I got a ft 45lb York bar...tough as nails stuff and I also have a 255lb set of Standard plates. I have been on and off due to life kicking my butt moving several times and trying to get collage arranged, have had a year long break to be truthful.

Onto my point though, what do I want out of training?

Power/Strength

The best health I can attain, I am currently out of shape and trying to quit smoking been smoking since I was like 11-12 lol sucks and I am 32 now. I want to stop for good and repair my lungs back to new if I can...hoping that is possible and wondering if there are vitamins and so on that would help aid my body on that issue.

I also want to lose what fat I do have, love handles and so on I hate it and tired of looking at it. I have a 16 mo daughter now and in March this year will have a son, so I want to pretty much do a 180 and hit it hard and heavy and recover my body and make it how I want it.

I'd love to have a low fat index, nothing extreme like for some comp stuff...I have no intentions of competing in the BB sector I'd like to gain muscle and size just not fat...I wanna lose that.

So all in all those are my goals, now for the main question...

Power Lifting or Body Building?

I have read much on both, I know from a lot that I have read that body builders are mainly about the 'pump' I could be mistaken with some I have seen these day's though. But I love the definition they get... However I like to lift heavy, as heavy as I have gotten for 5 reps was 200lbs last summer.

Can I get rid of the fat I hate and get great definition from power lifting? I seen vids of a guy from Latvia called Konstantinovs? The guy is big and is a beast, but also I see he is cut and defined as well. Every one has a diff body structure and so on, but I like his build and how he looks and how he lifts.

No offense all and all I have heard is summed up like this lol...

Power lifters have REAL size and strength, functional strength.

Body Builders are all pump, muscles that are temporarily pumped full of liquid built up from the pump. Pretty much that there all show and no functional strength...or at least no where near as strong as they look. I have seen some BB's lifting some monster weight though, so I dunno if that is all correct.

I don't care for BB'ing mainly because of ALL the technical exercises they do each work out, I don't like the idea of going to failure and think you can avoid failure and gain muscle, strength and size. Also I think isolation exercises are detrimental, yes I have read books like Power to the People by Pavel, but also The Purposful Primitive by Marty Gallagher and yes I own a set of kettlebells and use the Swing for cardio so far.

I am thinking I would fit better into Power-lifting, I love brute strength and also the look of a "Greek Titan". Over all I want to make my health and habits do a 180, feel good and look good, better than I ever have in both areas...also my diet will have to be fairly flexible...as soon I plan on going to collage across the country and I will be working as well as going to collage and very likely wont be able to afford a gym membership...I own a bar plates and a set of three kettlebells...should be every thing a guy needs?

Again hoping this is the right place for my question, this forum is awesome so far and looking to learn every thing I can.
Try learning to spell college.

Geist

Geist

Awards
Thanks mattsams89 will follow that advice, if by training age you mean the amount of time I have spent training you are very correct. I'll go mull over those sources and book mark them, got a lot to learn admittedly. Why I came here, I'll start by working on working those compound lifts, I got a trainer I know a while away from my in Indianapolis that has those certs too been to see him regarding kettlebell training he's an RKC so he's prolly a great bet there.

This is stuff I could do in college (<Well lookie there lol) too, also going to quit sweating the line between power lifters and body builders and just do what works as well. Thanks a ton, I just needed a direction to go in and I think I got a fair one to start out on :33:

Last edited:

mattsams89

Awards
No worries. Once you get a little training under your belt, you might find specialization to be something you want to do. There are novice classes as well as age/weight specific classes in everything from PLing and BBing to weight lifting and strong man, so you can find something you enjoy.

Even if you stick to "general" training, though, you'll see benefits in pretty much every aspect of life.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To answer your question, you can get get in good shape even with a powerlifting routine. Your body composition depends on a training stimulus (to build/preserve muscle and expend energy) and diet. Just dial in your diet, hit your cardio, be consistent, and you'll get there.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Why not try your hand at both training methods. I have done a bit of both and even sport specific /functional training while I played college baseball. They all have their benefits. In the end it all comes down to what you like ans fits you best. I personally have shifted away from the power lifting and training with athletic movements toward bodybuilding. I just enjoy it more. The only other thing I can add is that your assumption of bodybuilders strength is slightly ascue. While it may seem that it's all for show and not for go isn't true, any muscle mass that you build will be functional relative to the movement you are performing. Check bodybuilders like Stan efferding. He's every bit as strong as powerlifters in fact he holds a few records for raw lifts. You could even look at some of Ronnie colemans old vids, the man squatted 800 pounds that's strong enough for me.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get your ass in shape first. GPP, eat well, recover, get better. Don't worry about power lifting vs. bodybuilding.

Br

Geist

Geist

Awards
I knew I came to the right place here, all of this is helpful and I'll take it to heart. Glad there are people here to help me get focused on the right things so I can get started, I'm gonna drop the comparisons and just get my butt in gear and worry about what ever technical stuff later. Going to look up the nutrition area here and read and learn as well. Can't wait to get started!

Thanks all, your a heck of a help for sure!

RedneckDB

Awards
For some good functional strength info/books etc check out Brooks Kubik's website as his stuff in my opinion is awesome for that area of training !

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
To answer your question, you can get get in good shape even with a powerlifting routine. Your body composition depends on a training stimulus (to build/preserve muscle and expend energy) and diet. Just dial in your diet, hit your cardio, be consistent, and you'll get there.
I agree diet is definatley the key factor. Being "cut" is nothing more than haveing low bodyfat. With that said any type of training will help you get stronger and bigger. West Side style can add alot of meat to your bones plus make you strong if your diet is right. Also if you are really concerned with "functional strength" look up dinosaur traning/stronman. You don't really need to do anything that extreme. Any routine that includes squats and deadlifts regardless of bodybuilding or powerlifting will help. Throw in some farmers walks and it will probably give you what you are looking for. If you want to step up the functional side even more hitting a punching bag or tire with a sledge are great for muscle endurance.