Superset with bi's and tri's?

barry2313

barry2313

Awards
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried supper setting bi's and tri's. will this make your arms bigger and stronger? Or just bigger, or just stronger?
I was thinking about doing a workout like this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/benblack9.htm
What do you guys think?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It will definitely make your arms bigger. That should feed in to strength as well. When I get off of DC my arms day will pretty much always be supersetting biceps with triceps.

Personally I like starting off with an exercise I do heavy sets with for both biceps (7-9 reps) and triceps (4-6 reps). From there I go up a notch on the rep range, and the last exercise I usually do pretty light work, but I still superset it. Most online sources will say to not superset everything all the time as you may be overtraining, but it wasn't a problem for me. I think this is definitely a case where if you feel you're overtraining doing this, you're simply not eating enough.

barry2313

barry2313

Awards
No I don't feel like I'm over training I've never tried supper setting them

C Rex

C Rex

Awards
It will definitely make your arms bigger. That should feed in to strength as well. When I get off of DC my arms day will pretty much always be supersetting biceps with triceps.

Personally I like starting off with an exercise I do heavy sets with for both biceps (7-9 reps) and triceps (4-6 reps). From there I go up a notch on the rep range, and the last exercise I usually do pretty light work, but I still superset it. Most online sources will say to not superset everything all the time as you may be overtraining, but it wasn't a problem for me. I think this is definitely a case where if you feel you're overtraining doing this, you're simply not eating enough.

This... Supersetting will make you a lot more vascular as well, in my experience. I began giving my arms their own day and got stronger. Once i began supersetting bi's and tri's I also noticed a big difference. I tend to start with heavier lifts (for bis: preacher curl, hammer curl, straight bb curl / tri's: tricept press and tricept extensions) and move to lighter lifts with more reps (maybe some cable exercises) at the end of my work out....But ya, Torobestia gave some good advice.

C Rex

C Rex

Awards
One more thing I feel I should mention: After a while of supersetting bi's and tri's on arm day I noticed an over all gain in strength due to my supporting muscles helping out more (stabilization wise) with chest, back, and shoulders....

T

TheMaharaja

Awards
Ive been doing:

1. Close grip bench press with barbell curls
2. Skull crushers with reverse curls
3. Tricep extensions with hammer curls

I read about using equal force in both exercises when supersetting them.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive been doing:

1. Close grip bench press with barbell curls
2. Skull crushers with reverse curls
3. Tricep extensions with hammer curls

I read about using equal force in both exercises when supersetting them.
What I used to do was

1. Close Grip Bench Press (try to hit 3-4 sets of 6) with Seated EZ Bar Preacher Curls (3-4 sets of 7+)
These I would do constantly and wouldn't switch the exercise out (I also don't close grip bench press 400lbs, so maybe if you're that strong you need to alternate more frequently)

The next 2 working exercises I would cycle every 4 or 6 weeks (I forget exactly)
2. Skullcrushers/Dips with Hammer Curls/Seated DB Curls (try for 3-4 sets of 10 reps)
3. Tricep Pulldowns/Tricep Extensions with Standing Iron Cross Cable Curls/Cable Curls (3 sets of 10-15 reps)

At some point I also started doing Close Grip Decline Bench Presses too for triceps, but I don't remember what exercise I subbed out. Also really good are JM Presses.

T

TheMaharaja

Awards
What I used to do was

1. Close Grip Bench Press (try to hit 3-4 sets of 6) with Seated EZ Bar Preacher Curls (3-4 sets of 7+)
These I would do constantly and wouldn't switch the exercise out (I also don't close grip bench press 400lbs, so maybe if you're that strong you need to alternate more frequently)

The next 2 working exercises I would cycle every 4 or 6 weeks (I forget exactly)
2. Skullcrushers/Dips with Hammer Curls/Seated DB Curls (try for 3-4 sets of 10 reps)
3. Tricep Pulldowns/Tricep Extensions with Standing Iron Cross Cable Curls/Cable Curls (3 sets of 10-15 reps)

At some point I also started doing Close Grip Decline Bench Presses too for triceps, but I don't remember what exercise I subbed out. Also really good are JM Presses.
Id love to do that, but my gym is full of tools that sit around forever on machines so just getting a bench can be a blessing. Ill try this with a partner though.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I like tons of volume for arms. Supersetting is a good way to get it done quickly, too.

An old Serge workout would call for 8 sets of a 12 reps db curl/ 12 reps pushdown superset with 30 second rests, followed by 8 sets of 12 rep bb curl/12 rep bench dip supersets, again with 30 seconds of rest.

I don't do this exactly anymore, but a few times a month I'll do the curls/pushdowns at the end of an arms workout just to really get a pump and fascia stretch. It's the best arm pump I've ever had. I'm still undecided on doing bis and tris the same day.

T

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I like doing this to change it up every so oftern or when im in a rush to get my workout done... IT will give u great pumps

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just mentioned this on a "push pull" topic, figure it will apply to this as well so I'm quoting it here.

I had some very good results with push - pull methods; did supersets and negatives. My routine was kinda like this:

Arms
Chest/Back
Legs/Shoulder

For arms:
Biceps curl negatives, 3x8
Superset
Triceps overhead extension negatives, 3x8

Biceps on the machine negatives, 3x8
Superset
Triceps rope negatives, 3x8

Preacher Curl, 3x6
Triceps V bar, 3x6

Back/Chest

Assisted Pull ups negative, 3x8 (I would put a higher weight and then take my feet off the step and then do a negative, place my feet back for the way up)
Superset
Bench Press negative -with spotter -, 3x8

Smith Row negative, 3x8
Superset
Incline DB Press negative -spotter-, 3x8

Deadlift, 3x6
Superset
Decline DB Press, 3x6

For legs it was just regular, same as shoulders. Would do Hack squat, Leg Press and Leg Curls, and shoulder would do lateral raises and overhead presses.

I had very good success with this, especially where arms were concerned. They showed the most development that's for sure.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried supper setting bi's and tri's. will this make your arms bigger and stronger? Or just bigger, or just stronger?
I was thinking about doing a workout like this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/benblack9.htm
What do you guys think?
Bi's and tri's are the best. For me,It's nice having a day for arms. I look forward to it. And I've noticed a lot more muscle growth with that versus back/bis and chest/tri's.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bi's and tri's are the best. For me,It's nice having a day for arms. I look forward to it. And I've noticed a lot more muscle growth with that versus back/bis and chest/tri's.
Agreed, although I personally would still do chest/tris even with an arms day. But I also need the extra stimulus I guess

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, although I personally would still do chest/tris even with an arms day. But I also need the extra stimulus I guess
Wow! Thats what I call volume.. I thought i hit arms hard... Lol

808Pump

Awards
I've done chest/bi and back/tri...I have made some gains, but now I'm doing DC.