A little Advice/Guidance

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
Hey guys,

I've been a member here at AM for little while and I don't normally post, so you probably don't know me. More often than not I browse around and soak in the seemingly endless amount of knowledge the members here have. Which is what brings me here today. I am looking for a little advice and/or guidance on where I should go from here as far as training and diet mainly.

A little back story: Around July/August 2009 I weighed 220 pounds (Fat) It was my senior year of high school and something snapped inside of me and I had decided I was tired of being heavy, as I had been most of my adolescence. So I dedicated myself to losing weight, a lot of it came off when i stopped drinking pop (those damned empty calories) and stopped eating any type of fast food. By January '10 I had dropped down to around 160 and eventually, was at my lowest around 150 pounds. This was a skinny fat and now that i actually had my weight in check.. I wanted to put that weight back on, the right way. I didn't start to seriously train until January 2011 and even then my training was sporadic until around before the summer started. My serious lifting experience I would consider now to be a little less than a year. I am 20 years old, weigh ~165 and believe my body fat to be at about 12%, this is just a very rough estimation, so I could be off easily as I have not actually measured it.

So, back to the topic at hand. I am currently running a 3 day split similar to the "Starting Strength program" by Mark Rippetoe. It focuses on the big 3 lifts, which I have been told, is the right direction. I am on week 6 of the program and feel I have my form down decently well, so i am just working on throwing more weight onto the bar. Here is my program as well as my current weights:

Alternate "A" and "B" days
Week 1 - ABA
Week 2 - BAB etc..

Weeks 1-4

"A" Day
Weighted Plank 2x60 Seconds
Squat 3x8
Superset-
Bench 3x8
Chest Supported Row 3x8
Superset-
Dumbbell Split Squat 2x12
Cable Face Pull (Rear Delt Row) 2x15

"B" Day
Half Kneeling Cable Chop 2x10
Deadlift 3x8
Superset-
Chin Up 3x8-12
DB Setup Ups 3x12
Superset-
Push Up 2x8-12
Hyperextensions 2x12

Weeks 4-8 (Current Weights in Bold)

"A" Day
Swiss Ball Plank 2x60 Seconds 90 Seconds
Squat 3x6 215 lbs.
Superset-
Bench 3x6 165 lbs.
One Arm DB Row 3x8 60 lbs.
Superset-
Dumbbell Split Squat 3x10 35 lbs.
Cable Face Pull (Rear Delt Row) 2x12 70 lbs.

"B" Day
Half Kneeling Cable Chop 2x10 80 lbs.
Deadlift 3x6 205 lbs.
Superset-
Chin Up 3x8-12 BW
DB Step Ups 3x10 30 lb. DB's
Superset-
DB Bench 2x10B 65 lb. DB's
Swiss Ball Leg Curl 2x8 BW

I usually am able to increase my lower body weights by about 10 pounds every workout and around 5 for my upper body exercises. Should I meet my goals by the end of the 12 week program I will be benching over 200 pounds and my squat and deadlift will both be pushing 300 pounds as well. I am a little worried that my progress here should be more substantial, both in the weight im putting on the bar and on as muscle as I believe I've gained roughly 5-6 pounds from the start. My diet is pretty clean (not chicken and rice every meal clean) but i put myself at about 2500-3000 cals a day, 130-160+ grams of protein, lowish carbs until I workout, healthy fats. I don't feel as if I am getting any bigger/am proportioned correctly, if that makes sense. Here are some progress pics (I apologize for the crappy quality on some and the non-variety of different shots):

Edit:Well It looks like I will have to wait until 50 posts in order to post my pictures :( Unless there is a way around it.

Any comments and/or advice and guidance you guys can give me would be great and I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance, and go easy on me, I'm still a newb!

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
Again.. Anything you guys have to offer would be appreciated. If I am in the wrong section of the forums I'd be happy to repost somewhere else.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
The strength gains you are making are incredible. Do you have your macronutrient breakdown right? You might be off-balance that way and hindering the actual muscle gains. Are you getting enough sleep to fully recover? Also you might want to look into a more hypertrophy-oriented type program (if mass is your goal) also because too long (4-6 months) on the same routine allows the body to adapt significantly and get "bored/used to" the workout. Check out this thread for ideas:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/189614-lots-programs.html

ManBeast

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
The strength gains you are making are incredible. Do you have your macronutrient breakdown right? You might be off-balance that way and hindering the actual muscle gains. Are you getting enough sleep to fully recover? Also you might want to look into a more hypertrophy-oriented type program (if mass is your goal) also because too long (4-6 months) on the same routine allows the body to adapt significantly and get "bored/used to" the workout. Check out this thread for ideas:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/189614-lots-programs.html

ManBeast
Thank you for your reply, and thanks! I'm not quite sure what my macronutrient breakdown should be at this point, I'm aiming for a "lean bulk" if you will, so I'm keeping my carbs relatively low until after my workout. I get anywhere from 6-10 hours of sleep a night, which varies depending on my work schedule and when i can fit in time to do school work, as well as commit time to the girlfriend. In the next few weeks here I plan on switching up my routine. I'm also not quite sure what you mean by hypertrophy-oriented? Does that mean a program geared toward size rather than leaning out/cutting?

Thanks again for the reply!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
In general you can lift for mass (muscle size) or strength. Hypertrophy is the gaining of muscle size. Which is best done in the 6-10 rep range. Strength gains are mostly done in the 1-5 rep range. There is no rep range that will "lean you out" *although* the shorter rest time and longer sets of a hypertrophy (Muscle size) program (usually 1 minute to 90 seconds at most rest) vs. the rest time for a strength set (2-5 minutes), makes the hypertrophy workouts a bit more calorically intense (in general for the beginner/intermediate trainee). So by training for muscle growth you lean out in several ways:
1) By adding muscle you effectively lower your bodyfat percentage.
2) Muscle burns more calories irregardless if you are sitting on your butt or working out.
3) The workouts for adding muscle tend to put someone at your level into a more "calorie burning" state.

ManBeast

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
In general you can lift for mass (muscle size) or strength. Hypertrophy is the gaining of muscle size. Which is best done in the 6-10 rep range. Strength gains are mostly done in the 1-5 rep range. There is no rep range that will "lean you out" *although* the shorter rest time and longer sets of a hypertrophy (Muscle size) program (usually 1 minute to 90 seconds at most rest) vs. the rest time for a strength set (2-5 minutes), makes the hypertrophy workouts a bit more calorically intense (in general for the beginner/intermediate trainee). So by training for muscle growth you lean out in several ways:
2) Muscle burns more calories irregardless if you are sitting on your butt or working out.
3) The workouts for adding muscle tend to put someone at your level into a more "calorie burning" state.

ManBeast
Hypertrophy I like :)

BriceBurnsRed

Awards

ManBeast
Alright, that makes sense actually. Which program would you reccomend specifically? I've looked at tons of different programs, from working a body part twice a week all the way down to only doing 3 days a week full body workouts, and I'm not quite sure what is best for the goals I have in mind. Another question, I've gathered cardio is completely necessary to get down into the lower BF%'s, and I've read that fasted cardio early in the morning is best, but I've also seen a lot of resistance to that idea. It seems like solid logic, but I'm not exactly sure what to think.

Nickmort

Nickmort

Awards
Alright, that makes sense actually. Which program would you reccomend specifically? I've looked at tons of different programs, from working a body part twice a week all the way down to only doing 3 days a week full body workouts, and I'm not quite sure what is best for the goals I have in mind. Another question, I've gathered cardio is completely necessary to get down into the lower BF%'s, and I've read that fasted cardio early in the morning is best, but I've also seen a lot of resistance to that idea. It seems like solid logic, but I'm not exactly sure what to think.
I like cardio after i hit the weights. Glycogen is depleted at this point so more fat is used for fuel.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'm not the best to rate hypertrophy programs, as I've only done them while on a cycle (ah the life of an endo... whats-a-bulk?), and its not fair to reccomend those to a natural trainee without major major tweaking. Layne Norton's PHAT is a pretty popular and successful program from what I've heard though:
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

ManBeast

P.S. I like my Cardio after weights too, I mix it up with HIIT 3/6 days right now and LI 2/6 (I do like 5 minutes of "active recovery" cardio on legs day, so I can walk decently the rest of the week :D).

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
I like cardio after i hit the weights. Glycogen is depleted at this point so more fat is used for fuel.
I'm not the best to rate hypertrophy programs, as I've only done them while on a cycle (ah the life of an endo... whats-a-bulk?), and its not fair to reccomend those to a natural trainee without major major tweaking. Layne Norton's PHAT is a pretty popular and successful program from what I've heard though:
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

ManBeast

P.S. I like my Cardio after weights too, I mix it up with HIIT 3/6 days right now and LI 2/6 (I do like 5 minutes of "active recovery" cardio on legs day, so I can walk decently the rest of the week :D).
I am also an Endo, and I've come to terms with the fact that im definitely not old enough for a cycle of anything yet, at least that's what I've been told.

Does doing cardio after a workout put muscle mass at risk though? Or is all of the energy coming straight from fat?

vicesoldier

vicesoldier

Awards

ManBeast
I second the PHAT program which I just started but don't expect to hit PR's at the beginning but it will happen in due time

Nickmort

Nickmort

Awards
I am also an Endo, and I've come to terms with the fact that im definitely not old enough for a cycle of anything yet, at least that's what I've been told.

Does doing cardio after a workout put muscle mass at risk though? Or is all of the energy coming straight from fat?
I can only speak from personal experience but i dont think it affects muscle mass as long as your diet is dialed in and you're not doing a crazy amount of cardio after lifting. I like to do LISS cardio for like 30-45 min after lifting and I'm still able to put on muscle. If you are really that worried about losing muscle though you could put back a protein shake or bcaa drink(my choice since im on the lean gains protocol) after your weight training before cardio.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I can only speak from personal experience but i dont think it affects muscle mass as long as your diet is dialed in and you're not doing a crazy amount of cardio after lifting. I like to do LISS cardio for like 30-45 min after lifting and I'm still able to put on muscle. If you are really that worried about losing muscle though you could put back a protein shake or bcaa drink(my choice since im on the lean gains protocol) after your weight training before cardio.
Or 10-15 minutes (tops) of HIIT. The (water-based) protien shake or BCCAs is a great suggestion if you are noticing it drop/don't want to risk it.

ManBeast