Help with chest

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
It seems no matter how hard I work my chest, it doesn't seem to want to grow like the rest of my body. My bench goes up size doesn't change much. I know my chest has gotten stronger, but it seems it doesn't grow much. I've been lifting for 6-7 years but serious for about 4 years and have always had issues with putting mass on my chest. I was looking to get some pointers on what I can do to help this issue. Thanks

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I don't think there is anything better you can do to develop an impressive-appearing chest than a lot of heavy upper chest work. I put most of effort into upper chest movements these days. It can also be helpful, even though you've had years of lifting experience, to re-evaluate your form on bench. I found that once I passed the 225 lbs mark on bench, I had to re-train myself how to do it properly even though I have 10+ years experience. Watch some powerlifting instructional videos. The crucial point is to tuck your elbows as you go down so that you take the strain off of your shoulders. I see far too many lifters benching with their elbows parallel with their shoulders all the way down. You simply cannot go as heavy as you need to with that form. I guarantee that once you can rep >265 lbs on flat bench and >225 lbs on incline, your chest will be developing nicely.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
might help if you posted your current chest routine

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
Not trying to jack the thread but i have issues with the side of my chest. Like the part connecting to your armpit? Dont know how to explain it other than side of chest.

McCoy1989

Awards
I've seen decent growth from using really slow negatives, holding about an inch off my chest and then exploding to the beginning position. This works well with both flat and incline bench. Also what owlicks said, working upper chest helped me a lot too. I saw serious gains after I incorporated heavy incline into my routine.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd done heavy barbell bench presses in the past but never got a lot of chest development. I'm sure it had to do with muscle structure. I have the chest type where I have that upwards down "V" at my lower pecs. So in other words, I don't have that full, squared chest. Usually people with that chest type find it fairly easy to build chest mass. They could just do primarily bench presses and get good results. I on the other hand never got much out of barbell bench, so I switched to exercises that give me more room to tinker with range of motion, like DB exercises...

Here is a superset that has worked really well for me as far as helping bring out a fuller looking chest
Incline DB Flyes
Incline DB Presses
- I do 3-4 sets of each at around 8-10 reps per set. Maybe on the last set I'd do 6 reps. Make sure to establish as much "feel" when doing these exercises. It's good to go slow on your negatives with the flyes and squeeze at the top. When you switch over to incline DB presses, lower the weight relatively slowly, then explode upward with it. You can squeeze the muscles at the top too. Once you can't do any more presses, pump the weight a few times. As in, pump it as high as you can, then lower it, repeat. But do it deliberately, don't just bounce it up and down. Really good way to end a set of DB presses. Talk about a chest pump too!

Then after that superset I'll do some DB pullovers. The good ones too, where you're lying perpendicular with the bench, with your upper back making contact. Not the ones where you're lying on the bench taking the weight back over your head. The first ones are much, much better. I know I'm in my groove when I feel the serattus muscles doing a lot of pulling. I feel it there and in my chest, and it stretches out my back. Coincidentally, I do back and chest on the same day.

My chest responds really well since I've been training back and chest on the same day. I'll go ahead and post an entire routine.

(After warm-ups)
Superset A
- Weighted Dips 3 x 8-10, 1 x 6-8 (4 total sets)
- Pull-ups 4 x go to positive failure
Barbell Rows 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6
Superset B
- Incline DB Flyes 3 x 8-10, 1 x 4-6 (4 total sets)
- Incline DB Presses 3-4 x 8-10, 1 x 4-6
DB Pullovers 3-4 x 15-20
Deadlifts (after warming up) 3 x 9, 6, 3 (or whatever rep scheme you want)

Then I'll hang from the pull-up bar to stretch out. Followed by the rest of my stretching. If you have it in you, you can throw in a couple sets of something like one-arm DB rows or cable rows. Maybe every once in a while throw in a set or two of bench presses (i.e., 2 x 6-8).

Flex the muscle in between sets. Sounds funny, but it teaches muscle control. Then you can use that to your advantage when you want to tweak an exercise. That incline superset really helped me and the DB pullovers make the rib cage look better (serattus mostly). My chest looks better from the front after I'd been doing a routine like this.

Good luck brotha!

BriceBurnsRed

Awards
I'd done heavy barbell bench presses in the past but never got a lot of chest development. I'm sure it had to do with muscle structure. I have the chest type where I have that upwards down "V" at my lower pecs. So in other words, I don't have that full, squared chest. Usually people with that chest type find it fairly easy to build chest mass. They could just do primarily bench presses and get good results. I on the other hand never got much out of barbell bench, so I switched to exercises that give me more room to tinker with range of motion, like DB exercises...

Here is a superset that has worked really well for me as far as helping bring out a fuller looking chest
Incline DB Flyes
Incline DB Presses
- I do 3-4 sets of each at around 8-10 reps per set. Maybe on the last set I'd do 6 reps. Make sure to establish as much "feel" when doing these exercises. It's good to go slow on your negatives with the flyes and squeeze at the top. When you switch over to incline DB presses, lower the weight relatively slowly, then explode upward with it. You can squeeze the muscles at the top too. Once you can't do any more presses, pump the weight a few times. As in, pump it as high as you can, then lower it, repeat. But do it deliberately, don't just bounce it up and down. Really good way to end a set of DB presses. Talk about a chest pump too!

Then after that superset I'll do some DB pullovers. The good ones too, where you're lying perpendicular with the bench, with your upper back making contact. Not the ones where you're lying on the bench taking the weight back over your head. The first ones are much, much better. I know I'm in my groove when I feel the serattus muscles doing a lot of pulling. I feel it there and in my chest, and it stretches out my back. Coincidentally, I do back and chest on the same day.

My chest responds really well since I've been training back and chest on the same day. I'll go ahead and post an entire routine.

(After warm-ups)
Superset A
- Weighted Dips 3 x 8-10, 1 x 6-8 (4 total sets)
- Pull-ups 4 x go to positive failure
Barbell Rows 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6
Superset B
- Incline DB Flyes 3 x 8-10, 1 x 4-6 (4 total sets)
- Incline DB Presses 3-4 x 8-10, 1 x 4-6
DB Pullovers 3-4 x 15-20
Deadlifts (after warming up) 3 x 9, 6, 3 (or whatever rep scheme you want)

Then I'll hang from the pull-up bar to stretch out. Followed by the rest of my stretching. If you have it in you, you can throw in a couple sets of something like one-arm DB rows or cable rows. Maybe every once in a while throw in a set or two of bench presses (i.e., 2 x 6-8).

Flex the muscle in between sets. Sounds funny, but it teaches muscle control. Then you can use that to your advantage when you want to tweak an exercise. That incline superset really helped me and the DB pullovers make the rib cage look better (serattus mostly). My chest looks better from the front after I'd been doing a routine like this.

Good luck brotha!
From the sounds of it, I believe i have the same problem as lemke, and the same type of chest as you Type O, my chest doesn't have that "Square" look if you will. Although this could be from a lack of workout experience, I will be following your advice nonetheless. Thanks!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How strong are your scapular retractors and external shoulder rotators? Weakness in either will result in the load being shifted to the anterior delts when pressing. Are your front delts more developed than your pecs? If so, its not a pecs issue, but a trapezius/rhomboids issue.

Br

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
I appreciate the ideas everyone. I'm going to start focusing more on the upper chest and more of the movement and squeezing at the top. I do think incorporating more incline into my workout would benefit. I don't always do incline on chest days and I think that could be part of my issue.

I've read that flexing in between sets helps so I'll work on that too. I've done chest and back on the same day and had pretty good results before. I might try going back to that since it's been a while since I've had a chest/back day in my workout. I'll give your workout a try and see if that helps any.

It just sucks when you see guys that are about your body size but their chest is much larger than yours and you know your working yours hard but not quite getting the size your wanting. I'll try switching things up and see how my body responds. Thanks again Type O!

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if anyone would agree with me but since I started including dips and incline dumbbell press, my chest has exploded.
Those are just my 2 cents.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
My theory is to keep your chest workout simple but intense! I keep my chest workout very simple and that is what actually helped me grow a nice full chest.

Barbell Incline Press - 4-5 sets
Dumbbell or Hammer Strength Flat Bench- 4 sets
Dips- 4 sets
Pec Dec Flys- FST-7 (7 sets, 30-40sec rest)

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
My theory is to keep your chest workout simple but intense! I keep my chest workout very simple and that is what actually helped me grow a nice full chest.

Barbell Incline Press - 4-5 sets
Dumbbell or Hammer Strength Flat Bench- 4 sets
Dips- 4 sets
Pec Dec Flys- FST-7 (7 sets, 30-40sec rest)
...ways to keep intensity up
1) drop sets!!!

2) rest pause sets

3) have a training partner lift the weight up at the end of your set and do controled negatives

4) changing up rest times (stop watch)

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Work till failure bro. Jus make aure the tension time on yur chest is like 50 seconds each set so yu have to say fukc yur ego and pick a weight yu can do 12-15 slow controlled reps of for 4-5 sets

lemke28

lemke28

Awards
Thanks fellas I appreciate the input. I'll try incorporating those ideas into my chest routine.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Work till failure bro. Jus make aure the tension time on yur chest is like 50 seconds each set so yu have to say fukc yur ego and pick a weight yu can do 12-15 slow controlled reps of for 4-5 sets
You mean working to positive failure in a set or absolute failure in your workout? You don't have to be feel like you're dying to know you've had a good workout.

50 seconds TUT is a long time... I think everyone should experiment with that one. I'd always thought 5-10 seconds was plenty.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We're actually messing around with time ranges vs. rep ranges up at school.

So instead of doing sets of 8-10 on the bench press, we'll choose a weight corresponding to the max (say 80% 1rm, which should allow for about 10 reps) then do as many reps as possible in a given time. Perhaps 10 seconds or 12 or whatever.

Br

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We're actually messing around with time ranges vs. rep ranges up at school.

So instead of doing sets of 8-10 on the bench press, we'll choose a weight corresponding to the max (say 80% 1rm, which should allow for about 10 reps) then do as many reps as possible in a given time. Perhaps 10 seconds or 12 or whatever.

Br
I would be afraid of of an injury

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
NEVER be scared! If you are consistantly lifting weights you should have a good feel @ what you can do for a certain amount of reps. Obviously that changes as you get stronger but aslong as you are not jumping to a weight you never came close to lifting than you will be alright. And always ask for a spot. Having a spot is mental.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
You mean working to positive failure in a set or absolute failure in your workout? You don't have to be feel like you're dying to know you've had a good workout.

50 seconds TUT is a long time... I think everyone should experiment with that one. I'd always thought 5-10 seconds was plenty.
Well i usually do my normal sets and then on the last till failure.. I meant about 50seconds total for one set. If the negative for each rep is 4 seconds. total TUT for a 12 rep set is 48 seconds

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No different from speed bench, etc. Just need to make sure technique is sound. Things like deadlifts or pendley rows you can even drop the weight to minimize any eccentric contraction

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the tips guys. If you want a workout that kills, try dc with negatives. Ahhhh gets me so sore no joke