Push - Pull - Legs

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted some feedback on this push/pull/legs routine I came up with.

Mon.
Bench 5x5
OH Press 4x6
Incline DB Press 2x8
CG Bench 3x12
Lateral Raise 3x12

Wed.
Squat 5x5
Walking Lunge 3x8
Front squat 3x8
GHR 3x10
Seat Calf Raise 3x10

Fri.
Bent-Over Rows 4x6
Deadlift 3x5
Weighted CG Chins 3x6
Shrugs 3x12
Wide Pull Downs 2x12
DB Curls 3x12

I will usually follow the mon/wed/fri schedule but will sometimes throw in a 4th day. So do you think that looks good? Any changes I should make?

-Thanks

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
If anyone has used a push/pull/legs with good results would you mind posting up what your routine looked like?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sub seated for barbell calf raises smith machine on a ledge or those aerobics blocks.anything seated is wasting time

joeblow1

Awards
Sub seated for barbell calf raises smith machine on a ledge or those aerobics blocks.anything seated is wasting time
Seated calf raises work your inner calf muscle and standing works the outside. If you want balance do both.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Seated calf raises work your inner calf muscle and standing works the outside. If you want balance do both.
U can work diff parts using diff stances...put weight on inside balls
Of feet and raise to do outer and weight in outside balls towards small toe and that works inner

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seated calf raises work your soleus, which is the small, flat, mainly slow twitch deep calf muscle.

Standing calf raises work your gastrocnemius, the large, superficial, mainly fast twitch calf muscle.

The reason is because the soleus attaches to the tibia and fibula, thus knee bend does not effect it. The gastroc attaches to the femur, so the knee must be extended to full recruit it.
And, we know that type I muscles have much less potential for hypertrophy than type II. So, if size is your goal, standing calf raises should be prioritized.

(and of course, I can go on about how tight soleus on so many of my clients and athletes disrupts squat depth/patterns, etc. etc.

Br

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
OK well thanks for all of the advice on my calf work. My calves are really the part of me I'm the least concerned with though...

I really want advice on the rest of the routine... Do people like the idea of doing push/pull/legs? Has anyone tried a routine like this before with good results? Do the other exercise choices look good and are they in a good order?

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i love push pull legs and its the only routine ive ever used. combined with a high caloric diet, low reps (4-7) and lots of compound exercises you can put on some great mass. went from 150lbs to a natural 205lbs currently on this routine alone over the years... couple cycles in there and retarded amounts of food

day 1: back, biceps, traps

day 2: chest, tri's, shoulders

day 3: rest

day 4: legs

from here on in, whichever group has recovered fully (push group, pull, or legs) i just work it out again. i don't have specific gym days. whatever group is ready to be trained again gets trained so i work out by feel and not schedule

i know some ppl devote whole days to small groups like shoulders or bi's lol (madness) but i only devote 2 isolation workouts for smaller muscle groups (bi's, tri's, traps, shoulders) and thats at the end of my workout. i do tons of compound movements which hits them hard pretty much every exercise. so even though it looks like a lot of muscle groups for 1 day i finish my workouts in 1-1.5 hours

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
I have used a push/pull/leg routine and got great results within 6 months I went from barely being able to put up 200 on bench to putting up 305. I would add dips because they are my personal favorite chest builder, also seems as though you could change the shrugs into upright rows I realize this would throw some shoulders into your back day but it also adds biceps to the movement.
Those are just my 2 cents.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
i love push pull legs and its the only routine ive ever used. combined with a high caloric diet, low reps (4-7) and lots of compound exercises you can put on some great mass. went from 150lbs to a natural 205lbs currently on this routine alone over the years... couple cycles in there and retarded amounts of food

from here on in, whichever group has recovered fully (push group, pull, or legs) i just work it out again. i don't have specific gym days. whatever group is ready to be trained again gets trained so i work out by feel and not schedule

i know some ppl devote whole days to small groups like shoulders or bi's lol (madness) but i only devote 2 isolation workouts for smaller muscle groups (bi's, tri's, traps, shoulders) and thats at the end of my workout. i do tons of compound movements which hits them hard pretty much every exercise. so even though it looks like a lot of muscle groups for 1 day i finish my workouts in 1-1.5 hours
If u have DOMS from squats max effort squats, how is it best to recover the muscles?do light squats next day to open up blood flow and o2 through?!?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If u have DOMS from squats max effort squats, how is it best to recover the muscles?do light squats next day to open up blood flow and o2 through?!?
Foam roll, rotate between hot and ice baths.

Br

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Foam roll, rotate between hot and ice baths.

Br
Thanks. Is it ok to use a tennis ball over the quads or stick with actual roller?

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established

Do you mind posting up exactly what your routine looks like (which exercises, sets, reps)? I'd appreciate it man!

Hikeon3

Hikeon3

Awards
Looks very similar to what I do. I basically have three "days" that I alternate at the gym. Legs, Push (chest/shoulders/tris), and Pull (back/traps/bis).

I do M/T/W on, Th off, F/S on, Sun off. Results have been fast and furious and recovery has been adequate but I'm high-cal bulking. Can't speak to how recovery might be on a cut.

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
Looks very similar to what I do. I basically have three "days" that I alternate at the gym. Legs, Push (chest/shoulders/tris), and Pull (back/traps/bis).

I do M/T/W on, Th off, F/S on, Sun off. Results have been fast and furious and recovery has been adequate but I'm high-cal bulking. Can't speak to how recovery might be on a cut.
Can you post up what your routine looks like exactly?

Hikeon3

Hikeon3

Awards
Can you post up what your routine looks like exactly?
It's pretty simple and the volume isn't anything special.

M: Back Day [Pendlay Rows for 4 work sets, Weighted Pull-Up for 4 work sets, Dumbell Row for 3 Work Sets, Shrugs for 6-7 varying sets, Grip work]
T: Chest Day [Flat BB Bench for 3-4 work sets, Hammerstrength Incline for 3 work sets, Weighted dips for 3 work sets, Dumbell Pullovers for 3 worksets, Medial delt work for 4-5 varying sets]
W: Leg Day [Hack Squats for 5-6 work sets varying stance, Romanian Deadlift for 3-4 work sets, Superset Lying Ham Curl w/ Standing Calf raise for 3-4 slow sets]
Th: Off
F: Repeat Back Day
S: Repeat Chest Day
Sun: Off
M: Repeat Leg Day

ETC

Not a believer in a "one-size fits all" routine. This works very well for me. In the past 6 months I've added about 25lbs to my frame (a good amount of it was fat) and for the past month weight has been stable, but recomp is going VERY well using the same routine with more attention to carb timing peri-workout. Lifts still progressing and jeans/mirror are doing the talking there.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you mind posting up exactly what your routine looks like (which exercises, sets, reps)? I'd appreciate it man!
i change things around every once in a while. just cuz it works for me doesnt mean it will work for you....

this is what i currently do.

push days:

**flat bench warm up 3 sets
flat bench 3 sets
dumbell incline press 3 sets
dumbell flys 3 sets
incline bench 3 sets
military press on smith machine 3 sets
over head tricep extension or cable push downs 3 sets

back:

**wide grip pulldown warm up 3 sets
wide grip pull down 3 sets
barbell row 3 sets
lawnmowers 3 sets each hand
T-bar rows 3 sets
hammer curls 3 sets
pull ups to failure 3 sets

legs:

**squat warm up 3 sets
regular squats 3 sets
single leg squats on smith machine (put a bench behind you and put one leg behind you on the bench, other infront to squat) 3 sets
leg extension 3 sets
leg curls 3 sets
standing calve raises 3 sets
seated calve raises 3 sets

if im doing more than 6 reps i add weight. i try to do weights where i fail on 4-6 reps. im in the gym 3-4 days a week with intense heavy lifting like this so i get plenty of rest and food outside of the gym. food is by far most important. workouts usually last 1-1.5 hour. 1-2 gallons of water per day.

this is how i bulk. i was naturally skinny when i started now im 205 heavy musculature appearence. i've never had to cut. so i don't know how something like this would work if you're not bulking.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Ive got a question for those of you who use push/pull/legs splits....

Do you pretty much always use that split and then just switch up certain exercises and change rep ranges for variety every so often?

Ive been thinking about switching to that type of split and am just curious what people do to keep things fresh

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I had some very good results with push - pull methods; did supersets and negatives. My routine was kinda like this:

Arms
Chest/Back
Legs/Shoulder

For arms:
Biceps curl negatives, 3x8
Superset
Triceps overhead extension negatives, 3x8

Biceps on the machine negatives, 3x8
Superset
Triceps rope negatives, 3x8

Preacher Curl, 3x6
Triceps V bar, 3x6

Back/Chest

Assisted Pull ups negative, 3x8 (I would put a higher weight and then take my feet off the step and then do a negative, place my feet back for the way up)
Superset
Bench Press negative -with spotter -, 3x8

Smith Row negative, 3x8
Superset
Incline DB Press negative -spotter-, 3x8

Deadlift, 3x6
Superset
Decline DB Press, 3x6

For legs it was just regular, same as shoulders. Would do Hack squat, Leg Press and Leg Curls, and shoulder would do lateral raises and overhead presses.

I had very good success with this, especially where arms were concerned. They showed the most development that's for sure.

Machmood

Awards
I really like your workouts but I would add a bit more frequency. I would try mon- tue thurs-fri which adds a bit more frequency . That being said i would take out shrugs in your pull since you have deeds and u have more frequency now ' and maybe even do something like 2 workouts deadliest then skip deadlifts one workout .

Machmood

Awards
Also take out some leg stuff, only do 1 type of squat

BaDgErFaN

Awards
  • Established
I really like your workouts but I would add a bit more frequency. I would try mon- tue thurs-fri which adds a bit more frequency . That being said i would take out shrugs in your pull since you have deeds and u have more frequency now ' and maybe even do something like 2 workouts deadliest then skip deadlifts one workout .
Thanks for the input, I am taking the advice and am planning on doing 4x a week from now on.

So far Ive really enjoyed training with push/pull/legs. Thanks for all the input/advice guys!

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
I had some very good results with push - pull methods; did supersets and negatives. My routine was kinda like this:

Arms
Chest/Back
Legs/Shoulder
Thats not exactly push/pull/legs... The idea behind push/pull/legs is you do all your pushing movements on push day, pulling on pull day etc.