how to be a successful Trainer?

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys Im seriously considering getting certified as a pt. Any tips? As of now Im really trying to bring my own body up to spec. I'm a smaller guy..(ecto) so trying to put the mass on in heaps. Thats my first priority at the moment so I can be an walking add. I have been studying here n there on line. If i do get my cert i plan on offering a truly personalized program for each client. I see trainers in my gym doing the same cookie cutter routines for people with totally different body types. Thats what i want to kinda be my selling point... a totally personalized program. I would like to train 2-3 days a week n still work my other job. Looking to make 15+ an hour on average with the day booked up. Tips advice. Anything?

LiamGTR

LiamGTR

Awards
There are PT's out there with qualifications/Masters ect. ... just getting cert' will not be enough to make you stand out.

You're making it sound easy saying 15+ + your normal job.

I wish you luck but you've got to put the effort in, my advise is to keep looking into what OTHER pt's are qualified in, and go from there as that will show you a little of what you have to have just to be on the same level as some of these guys.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
There are PT's out there with qualifications/Masters ect. ... just getting cert' will not be enough to make you stand out.

You're making it sound easy saying 15+ + your normal job.

I wish you luck but you've got to put the effort in, my advise is to keep looking into what OTHER pt's are qualified in, and go from there as that will show you a little of what you have to have just to be on the same level as some of these guys.
Much thanks for the input. Good advice!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do you plan on offering a personalized training program..............

How will you assess various forms of fitness: aerobic, anaerobic conditioning, muscular endurance, strength etc? How will you determine the fitness needs of your clients? How will you taylor these needs to their generic goals (lose weight, get tones, etc.)?

How will you measure changes in the various forms of fitness?

How will you screen for movement deficiency patterns, areas of potential injury, etc? And how you will fix these to improve performance/daily living?

How will you screen for health or medical issues that may prevent certain exercises?

How will your progress clients - based on what factors?

And how are you going to integrate all this into a personalized program?

Br

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established

How will you assess various forms of fitness: aerobic, anaerobic conditioning, muscular endurance, strength etc? How will you determine the fitness needs of your clients? How will you taylor these needs to their generic goals (lose weight, get tones, etc.)?

How will you screen for movement deficiency patterns, areas of potential injury, etc? And how you will fix these to improve performance/daily living?

How will you screen for health or medical issues that may prevent certain exercises?

Br
Dang dude blasting me the the qs. First thanks Cuz I kno your one the most knowledgeable guys on hear. Well to kinda simply answer all the question I would be using a fitness/postural assessment. It would involve certain this like how long a person could plank, how long they could run on tread at certain speed before burning out. How many crunches/push ups if any they can do in row on in aloted amount of time. As far as looking for other weekness the posture assessment kinda gives you a head up on what to be looking for. I'd be keeping strict eye in form making sure proper muscles aren't engaged and auxiliaries are taking over.

Obviously I haven't really written the best assessment out. This is just off the top my head. But anyways taking there week points in goals and body type all into consideration thats how i would work up theyre routines/diet. Oh another thing that needs to be checked is flexibility as well. but any tips from you regarding this would be awesome.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, you're on the right track. Next step is to choose some assessments (check out the NASM over head squat test) for movement patterns, and some of the NSCA supine row and push up screens for upper body omvement screening.

Next, is to figure out how you are going communicate the value value of these tests for your clients. Remember, you're going to be up against the MTV "I used to be fat" trainer who yells cliches and makes people puke. So, you need to break this mold and communicate to your clients how making changes will benefit them: their daily activities, performance, joint pain, injury prevention, etc.

Since not everyone can run on a treadmill, you may want to look into the heart rate recovery as a way to gauge cardiovascular fitness. If after reaching near max HR, it does not come down at least 20 BPM in 2 min of seated rest, then that person is at a higher risk for cardiovascular disease and their heart is quite out of shape. You can always use the 2 min step test to elevate HR vs. treadmill running.

Glad to see you are taking a more evidenced based approach!

Br

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, you're on the right track. Next step is to choose some assessments (check out the NASM over head squat test) for movement patterns, and some of the NSCA supine row and push up screens for upper body omvement screening.
Are you a fan of FMS for assessment? I have a DVD of one of Boyles presentations and Cooks FMS manual and have been meaning to go over them but havent had the time.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established

Br
Do you have a particular organization you prefer to get certified ..?

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
I recomend NASM that's who I'm certified through and its great they cover everything and the program design is great all my clients get fantastic results in my opinion its the way to go

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I recomend NASM that's who I'm certified through and its great they cover everything and the program design is great all my clients get fantastic results in my opinion its the way to go
That's awesome ill def look into them. Any tips as far as being a successful pt.?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you a fan of FMS for assessment? I have a DVD of one of Boyles presentations and Cooks FMS manual and have been meaning to go over them but havent had the time.
We use it a lot up at school, and have invested (too much, imo) money into it. Its a good system, but I do not think there is anyone holy grail of assessment.

Br

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
That's awesome ill def look into them. Any tips as far as being a successful pt.?
Easy. Give results and know your sh*t. Also practice what you preach. Its all about ur clients

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
Being a personal trainer i see many ppl who have higher certz than me, yet I am yrs above them, imo either you have the natdual ability to understand the psychology behind d.getting thr best out of ppl is the biggest asset 99%trainers dont have this. Most pt even hugh level ones are ****. Knowledge is also important of every aspect of pt from diet to biology to training therapy. Also read alot of news various kinds about anyhing that way u can also have inteligent convos with ur rich clients 99% of trainers do not meet all of the requirements I have listed.