my workout, looking for input

mattrawls

Awards
I am 20, go to the gym 5-6 days a week for about 2-3 hours per workout. I play lacrosse (3x practice a week for 2 hours in the springtime, plus games on weekends) and I am also preparing myself for the Navy (bootcamp this summer). I want to get up to ~230 lbs, currently at ~200.

Here is my workout: (I get my heart rate to ~200 before every workout)
I am taking 1-2 scoops of No Xplode before every workout, and whey protein every morning/after workout.

Here are the exercises I do, not always in the order listed

Monday: Back
Pull ups
Chin ups
Seated mid-rows on pulley machine (close grip and wide grip)
Mid rows with dumbells on bench (one knee on bench, torso horizontal to bench)
Lat pulls
Hyper extensions

Tuesday: Shoulders
Side raises
Front raises
Shoulder press
Shrugs
Standing front rows (lift bar from waste to chin)

Wed.: Arms
Bicep curls
Preacher curls
Hammer curls
Forearm curls
Skull crushers (with close grip bench burnout)
Tricep pull downs
Wrist curls (sometimes)

Thurs: Legs
Squats
Leg press
Calf press
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Lunges

Fri: Chest
Bench
DB bench
Widegrip bench
Incline bench
Flys

Sometimes ill do hang cleans + cardio over the weekend, rest on sunday. I usually follow every workout with a low impact biking session after I drink my whey.

I do 4 sets of everything, sometimes 5. This was my workout all summer and I have been doing it for the past 3 weeks as well. When lacrosse season starts I will not workout as hard because Ill be practicing.

I am wondering what you guys think about this workout and if it is practical for gaining 30 lbs with the proper diet and protein intake.

cisco_trooper

Awards
If you get up to 230 before summer you are going to be packing on some fat. Also, at 2 - 3 hours a day I hope you are getting a lot of sleep.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I honestly don't see how those workouts could take you 2-3 hours...or how you can have a 200 heart rate. I've never known of anyone hitting that. Ever. Cisco is right about the fat, though. You can't gain that amount of muscle in that amount of time and body building workouts seem counter productive to being a better lacrosse player.

joeblow1

Awards
I am 20, go to the gym 5-6 days a week for about 2-3 hours per workout. I play lacrosse (3x practice a week for 2 hours in the springtime, plus games on weekends) and I am also preparing myself for the Navy (bootcamp this summer). I want to get up to ~230 lbs, currently at ~200.

Here is my workout: (I get my heart rate to ~200 before every workout)
I am taking 1-2 scoops of No Xplode before every workout, and whey protein every morning/after workout.

Here are the exercises I do, not always in the order listed

Monday: Back
Pull ups
Chin ups
Seated mid-rows on pulley machine (close grip and wide grip)
Mid rows with dumbells on bench (one knee on bench, torso horizontal to bench)
Lat pulls
Hyper extensions

Tuesday: Shoulders
Side raises
Front raises
Shoulder press
Shrugs
Standing front rows (lift bar from waste to chin)

Wed.: Arms
Bicep curls
Preacher curls
Hammer curls
Forearm curls
Skull crushers (with close grip bench burnout)
Tricep pull downs
Wrist curls (sometimes)

Thurs: Legs
Squats
Leg press
Calf press
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Lunges

Fri: Chest
Bench
DB bench
Widegrip bench
Incline bench
Flys

Sometimes ill do hang cleans + cardio over the weekend, rest on sunday. I usually follow every workout with a low impact biking session after I drink my whey.

I do 4 sets of everything, sometimes 5. This was my workout all summer and I have been doing it for the past 3 weeks as well. When lacrosse season starts I will not workout as hard because Ill be practicing.

I am wondering what you guys think about this workout and if it is practical for gaining 30 lbs with the proper diet and protein intake.
Youll never gain 30 lbs with all that cardio in 6 months. Plus its a lofty goal unless you gain all fat. In a good year your lucky to gain 15 lbs of muscle. Set attainable goals and get your diet right. You have to eat to gain.

mattrawls

Awards
it doesnt take me 2-3 hours to do the workout that was my bad. i just said that cause its usually been 2 hours from when i arrive at the gym to when i leave and i ususally steam or sauna for a while and shower there as well, shoot the **** with other members.

i get my heart rate to 185-200 by warm up jogging then moving it up to a sprint and it only takes me five minutes. basically i sprint until i break a sweat. im not doing this to become a better lacrosse player that is just a hobby of mine.

and thanks guys ive never really put a lot of thought into my workout/diet plan before but i try to eat 5-6 meals a day. im not sure if i said i wanted to be 230 by summertime in the first post but that is not really the case that is just my target weight overall. I do not want to put on a lot of fat so should i shoot for like 210? im really doing all this training because im pretty serious about the military and after I finish bootcamp im either going OCS or attempt seals so i need to keep up the cardio. i know BUDs requires a 4 mile run in boots in 28 mins minimum.

cisco_trooper

Awards
SEAL Teams are hardcore endurance athletes. They run on little to no sleep at times and can keep going for days. Getting too big may be counter-productive to the SEAL goals, but I'll let an actual SEAL weigh in on that. You do want to be as strong as possible for whatever weight is going to make you the best athlete. When you start breaking 200 lbs your endurance is going to suffer. Not trying to rain on your parade but if you have end goals in mind you can choose the best path.

mattrawls

Awards
you arent raining on my parade haha im looking for input from the experienced folks here i am by no means trying to say that what i am doing is what is best for me.

As for diet, i eat a lot of brown rice and grilled chicken and eggs. Pasta for dinner sometimes. Are those the types of foods I should be eating? Carbs and proteins?

cisco_trooper

Awards
Try this:

www dot usuhs dot mil/mem/hpl/NavySEALFitnessGuide.pdf

Chris528

Chris528

Awards
Im no expert, but I don't think 30 pounds is a realistic goal by summer.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
30 in that short period of time probably wont happen. That's a large amount of weight. In my opinion there's too Much cardio involved for much mass gain on the scale your talking. Only thing I could add would be to fit in deadlifts on your back day. Other than squats I can't think of a better way to stimulate your central nervous system and grow. Best of luck.

cisco_trooper

Awards
@mattrawls, what is your primary goal? Is SEALS your primary goal or is gaining lean muscle mass your primary goal?

If SEALS is your primary goal check out the SEALS fitness guide I linked to. Sorry for the jacked up link, I'm too new to post actual links.

If gaining lean muscle mass is your primary goal definitely add deadlifts, overhead press, and barbell rows. From what I've read so far you may consider removing some of it so you can recover. You grow outside the gym, not in it.

Start checking out some of the beginning weight lifting programs out there as well. Guys who get HUGE have programs that are relatively simple to follow and don't focus on too many of the isolation exercises for the smaller muscles. I'm definitely no expert but the way the stuff has been laid out makes perfect sense to me. I'm going to start Strong Lifts 5x5 as soon as I get my Power Rack situation figured out. Just throwing that out there for your consideration. Ultimately you will have to choose the best path based on your primary goals and by stepping back and doing a little research.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Training should reflect your goals, and you need more horizontal back work, rear delt work, mid trap work, and hamstring/post chain work...ALOT more. To avoid injuries and stay healthy for whatever you plan on doing.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SEAL Teams are hardcore endurance athletes. They run on little to no sleep at times and can keep going for days. Getting too big may be counter-productive to the SEAL goals, but I'll let an actual SEAL weigh in on that. You do want to be as strong as possible for whatever weight is going to make you the best athlete. When you start breaking 200 lbs your endurance is going to suffer. Not trying to rain on your parade but if you have end goals in mind you can choose the best path.
^^^^ This

Plus, all the chest/shoulder/anterior kinetic chain work you have is going to result in some serious muscular imbalances, which will effect both lacrosse and swimming performance.

Br