Starting Deads Again...Need Some Advice

Alpha Mind

Awards
~6 months ago, I separated my rib (badly, from the upper sternum) in a martial arts tournament and had to take some time off. I am fully healed, but have stayed away from heavy lifting, just to make sure I don't pop it out again. I have been doing kettlebells, clubbells, and higher rep lifting. All this supports the boxing (mitts and bags only) and kickboxing I've been doing, but I am ready to go heavy again.

After being on this forum...my definition of "heavy" differs from others' on here.

I was doing 4 sets of 6-10, depending on how awesome/crappy my day was.

So, first time back, for size and power, what is the ideal rep range for me to be going "heavy," Anabolic Minds style?

Much appreciated.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think heavy is a weight that sits within your 10RM to 1RM range. And I include the upper end in this discussion since there's no real way to say with a straight face that squatting 495x10 is "going light and easy" (though I would say leg pressing 495 is light unless you're under 18 y/o). So it is a little dependent on the exercise.

What rep range should you hit? 1-8 for "heavy." For deadlifts, I honestly wouldn't do anything that you can do more than 5 reps with. Upper body you're probably safe working in the 3-6 for compound exercises. Don't try for 1 rep maxes too often (week to week is too often for most exercises).

Obviously lifting heavy will mean deloading (or deloading more frequently).

joeblow1

Awards
~6 months ago, I separated my rib (badly, from the upper sternum) in a martial arts tournament and had to take some time off. I am fully healed, but have stayed away from heavy lifting, just to make sure I don't pop it out again. I have been doing kettlebells, clubbells, and higher rep lifting. All this supports the boxing (mitts and bags only) and kickboxing I've been doing, but I am ready to go heavy again.

After being on this forum...my definition of "heavy" differs from others' on here.

I was doing 4 sets of 6-10, depending on how awesome/crappy my day was.

So, first time back, for size and power, what is the ideal rep range for me to be going "heavy," Anabolic Minds style?

Much appreciated.
No more than 5 reps. 1-3 is ideal for heavy if you want volume do 8-10 sets of 3-5 reps. If you want to deadlift heavy and get big and strong then you rarely want to go over 5 reps. Every rep should stop dead on the floor, no touch and go bs. If you go heavy every set I guarantee you wont make it 8 sets your first go. Deadlifting should be extremely taxing on your body, not a walk in the park. You have to strain to gain.