Upper chest lagging.. cut out flat bench?

dramallama

Awards
Would it be wise to just focus on incline chest exercises to help my upper chest build up without it trying to catch it up with the rest of my chest? (Which seems to respond much faster..)

I also have a hard time really getting a mind-muscle connection during incline db bench for my upper chest.. at 30 & 40 degrees it seems like either my weaker left shoulder/tri will give out first or I just feel it in the rest of my chest and not exactly where I'm trying to target.. haven't done bb bench in awhile but I'm about to start again to change things up to see if it responds better.

..same with incline flyes.. hard time targeting the upper chest though it feels light it's hitting it slightly more than bench

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I had the same problem bro I started doing bb bench presses to my neck and love it.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i only used DB for a few years and rarely BB benched where my friends all did normal benching. My chest is noticeably different but there benchs are all way higher than mine. just food for thought

dramallama

Awards
Noticeably different as in bigger/better I'm assuming?

joeblow1

Awards
Would it be wise to just focus on incline chest exercises to help my upper chest build up without it trying to catch it up with the rest of my chest? (Which seems to respond much faster..)

I also have a hard time really getting a mind-muscle connection during incline db bench for my upper chest.. at 30 & 40 degrees it seems like either my weaker left shoulder/tri will give out first or I just feel it in the rest of my chest and not exactly where I'm trying to target.. haven't done bb bench in awhile but I'm about to start again to change things up to see if it responds better.

..same with incline flyes.. hard time targeting the upper chest though it feels light it's hitting it slightly more than bench
The only way Id suggest focusing on incline soley is if you had above a 55 inch chest and were sub 6% body fat in a cutting phase precomp. That is.only if it is lagging. Other wise you need to build entire chest then do extra work on lagging areas.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are your anterior delts over developed? If so, its not a chest issue but a back issue.

Br

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've posted about this issue all over this board.

Simple terms, your pecs attach to your humerus, and your humerus sits in the glenoid cavity (socket) on the shoudler blades. If your shoulder blades come forward during a pressing movement, then the length tension relationship of the pecs are lost, and the anterior delts take over. Same thing if your external rotators are weak and the elbows flair out during pressing. Most people who have difficulties developing their pecs have weak scapula retractor muscles and over active front deltoids.

Br

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah, gotcha now. I always pinch my shoulder blades when benching and drop my shoulders down.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Keep in mind it may be genetic. Work on your form like Zir suggested, but you may just be as flat chested as a 12 year old girl.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't cut out a flat press (whether it is barbell or dumbell). Instead, why don't you try to reorder your exercises. BB Incline followed by DB Incline followed by flat, then whatever else you like. Also, when Incline BB benching, tuck your shoulder blades together and stick your chest out to make sure you're hitting your chest more than delts. I have found that having a little arch helps, but nothing too drastic.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
^^^ great advice I recently learned this and I've been seeing good results lately

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't cut out a flat press (whether it is barbell or dumbell). Instead, why don't you try to reorder your exercises. BB Incline followed by DB Incline followed by flat, then whatever else you like. Also, when Incline BB benching, tuck your shoulder blades together and stick your chest out to make sure you're hitting your chest more than delts. I have found that having a little arch helps, but nothing too drastic.
Agreed. My delts don't even get taxed that much anymore doing this. I also use a bit wider grip on the incline than the flat bench (for comparison, on the incline my index is on the ring whereas on the flat my middle finger is on the ring, so it's an inch on both sides).

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i find hitting the upper chest for me doing 25-30 rep range..1-2 sets with little to no rest..once you get 30 reps add 5lbs and aim for 30 again. Your chest has no choice but to grow...I change it up between bb and db from week to week..sometimes i try to get 50reps depending on how i feel..It like your working the muscle for almost a whole minute..

ginge205

ginge205

Awards
Good advice here. I have the same problem but my whole chest is lagging compared to the rest of my body. So this thread is really helping