Power Racks

cisco_trooper

Awards
I'm looking to move from a leverage based multi-gym to a power cage. I'm curious what you all recommend before I make the plunge. I'd like to keep the price to $500 if possible. I don't trust the reviews on amazon and other websites. I trust you all as you seem to be dedicated athletes.

Thanks.

Roniboney

Awards
I'm looking to move from a leverage based multi-gym to a power cage. I'm curious what you all recommend before I make the plunge. I'd like to keep the price to $500 if possible. I don't trust the reviews on amazon and other websites. I trust you all as you seem to be dedicated athletes.

Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/Valor-Athletics-Inc-BD-Power/dp/B002EJC990/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326786058&sr=8-5

That is a solid piece of equipment.A tad over your price range but for what it offers its great.Do you have an oly barbell and plates?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You might want to check out local universities and colleges around your area. A lot of uni's change equipment every 3-5 years. its a good opportunity to get high quality stuff at a low price.

Br

cisco_trooper

Awards
That is a solid piece of equipment.A tad over your price range but for what it offers its great.Do you have an oly barbell and plates?
Do you feel like you have plenty of room front to back when performing squats? I'm kind of worried about that since I've never actually used a power cage before.

Yep, I've got an olympic bar with the following plates:
8 x 45lbs
2 x 35lbs
6 x 25lbs
6 x 10lbs
12 x 5lbs
4 x 2.5lbs

I also have hex dumbbells in pairs ranging from 20lbs through 50lbs.

So I think I'm set on weight given I'm a whopping 170lbs. The most I've weight is 180lbs while training on the leverage gym. I believe I can do better under free weights, and since I won't be neglecting lower body I think I can enter beast mode pretty quick, ESPECIALLY since I haven't trained in a good 6 months to a year. I'm freaking excited.

cisco_trooper

Awards
I think I'm leaning toward the BD-11 model. It looks like there is more room inside the cage and it is made of 2.5" x 2.5" vs 2.0" x 2.0" in the BD-7 model. Space is not a concern. I've got 3 boys, two of which have the build of my father in law who is a big dude. For a few extra bucks might as well get the bigger one.

Any other thoughts here? Any other pieces of equipment that anyone else recommends?

Roniboney

Awards
The cage with the lat attachemnt is your best bet for now.

Pick up some 18 inch dumbbell handles and some country power hooks(look these up) and you'll be able to get dumbbell work in with weights well over 120lbs using standard plates.These are one of the best decisions of my lifting career.

joeblow1

Awards
The cage with the lat attachemnt is your best bet for now.

Pick up some 18 inch dumbbell handles and some country power hooks(look these up) and you'll be able to get dumbbell work in with weights well over 120lbs using standard plates.These are one of the best decisions of my lifting career.
Search craigslist or if you want top quality go to elitefts. Its a little more than you have to spend but worth every penny.

cisco_trooper

Awards
Not finding much on craigslist in my area. Any reason for recommending BD-7 over BD-11, other than the lat attachment? Can't I just do weighted pullups / chinups and not worry about the lat attachment?

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Weighted pull-ups and chin-ups are much better IMO.

Roniboney

Awards
Weighted pull-ups and chin-ups are much better IMO.
Yes of course they are but you'll be able to do those anyway on any power rack.Having the extra lat and low row attachments may very well come in handy and for an extra few bucks I'd go for it

cisco_trooper

Awards
I see now that they make a lat pull attachment for the BD-11. I'll pick up the lat pull attachment later if I find I want or need it. I like the higher weight limit of the BD-11 and 2.5" construction vs 2.0" construction. The cage looks deeper also giving a little more room for movement inside the cage with weight on your shoulders. It seems like a more durable and stable platform to me.