Working on a program; would love critiques.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Looking for critiques of this program I've been working on. Goals are speed-strength and a bit of mass. It's a 4 day upper/lower split that focuses on a major lift (or 2) for each workout, along with a couple assistance exercises.

For major lifts (marked with a ">"), there are 4-10 sets of 3 reps, starting at 50-60% of the relevant 1RM, and increasing up to 85-95% of the relevant 1RM at varying increments based on the starting percentage. Speed of the movement, especially concentric acceleration, is emphasized in early sets and to a lesser degree as percentage of 1RM is increased, however, acceleration is always emphasized. Each rep is performed with as much acceleration as possible.

For assistance lifts (marked with a "~"), well, this is where I'm really looking for opinions. I'm thinking either 1 or 2 rest-pause sets (DC style) per lift (usually 2), with a weight that can be lifted 10-15 times, or 2-3 nearfailure sets with an approximate 10 rep weight or body weight for a relevant exercise. Volume is the main emphasis on either, but acceleration is still intended to be maximal.

Here's a template view:

day 1:
> bench press
> bent barbell rows or 1 arm db rows
~ bench press, incline bench, or dips
~ 1 arm db rows, cable rows, or inverted bodyweight rows

day 2:
> back squat
~ goblet squat
~ stiff-legged deadlift, or leg curls

day 3: rest

day 4:
> overhead barbell press
> weighted chin-ups
~ overhead barbell press or seated overhead barbell press
~ bodyweight chin-ups, lat pulldowns, or rack chins

day 5:
> sumo deadlift
~ stiff-legged deadlift or barbell hip-thrust
~ hanging leg raises (ab work)

Last edited:
Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This looks a lot like advanced GVT or Waterbury's 10x3. Have you given either of those a look? Basically the only difference is your incorporation of DC sets on your accessory movements. Both are great for gaining strength with some size.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
This looks a lot like advanced GVT or Waterbury's 10x3. Have you given either of those a look? Basically the only difference is your incorporation of DC sets on your accessory movements. Both are great for gaining strength with some size.
Haven't read anything by Waterbury in a long, long time. Some of the inspiration for this definitely came from him, but a lot came from Thibaudeau's recent writings.

This isn't a set-in-stone 10x3. It's anywhere from 4-10 sets of 3, based on desired intensity and current stress state (basically, judging my levels of mental and physical fatigue upon arriving at the gym and basing intensity on that).

Any thoughts on what I offered up for the assistance work? Not sure if I should go with 1-2 sets DC style (starting with a weight I can lift 10-15 times), or 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've read some of Thibaudeau's stuff.

My only concern would the neural fatigue by emphasizing rep speed early then going to heavier weight later in the workout. I might do something like this to cycle it:

2-3 weeks
Day 1: Speed
Day 2: Effort
Day 3: Efffort
Day 4: Speed

2-3 week
Effort
Speed
Speed
Effort

This way you are working upper and lower speed and effort in the same week, but rotating the movements.

As for ancillary movements, some should depend on your weak/sticking points. Others should be basic prehab.

Br

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Haven't read anything by Waterbury in a long, long time. Some of the inspiration for this definitely came from him, but a lot came from Thibaudeau's recent writings.

This isn't a set-in-stone 10x3. It's anywhere from 4-10 sets of 3, based on desired intensity and current stress state (basically, judging my levels of mental and physical fatigue upon ar***** at the gym and basing intensity on that).

Any thoughts on what I offered up for the assistance work? Not sure if I should go with 1-2 sets DC style (starting with a weight I can lift 10-15 times), or 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps.
Yeah, it's been cool to see Thibs' mindset change over the last few years. His approach highly contrasted with Waterbury's high frequency/high sets/low reps programs. But now, there is a lot of similarity between both of their recent articles.

As far as the accessory lifts go, I'd say change it up. If DC sounds good one day, and 3x15 sounds good the next, do that. Having some variety around a solid foundation would keep this fresh.