Incline vs Decline bench

barry2313

barry2313

Awards
I am currently training for a benching competition and i am wondering what exercise is better for building strength. I work out my chest on Mondays a Thursdays. I am wondering if it is better to do either incline or decline both days, incline and decline on both of the days or switch them like decline on a monday on incline on a thursday.
Thanks

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
No need for decline imo. Incline and dips.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Decline doesn't carry over at all for me so its pointless for me to do it. Find what carries over for you and stick with it.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Decline doesn't carry over at all for me so its pointless for me to do it. Find what carries over for you and stick with it.
sweet opinion bro...

decline is important...

op. train with bands for a while, train your lockout... does the comp youre competing in require flat feet?

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
In my experience, decline hasn't carried over. I tend to do Incline presses [DB & BB,] weighted dips, and of course flat and DB bench press.

I'm benching around 360, so I feel like I can give somewhat of an opinion.

Nonetheless, I also like to do Hammer Strength Presses sometimes, here's a video of me, hopefully giving me a shred of credibility:

[video=youtube_share;6LkvWLf-RV8]http://youtu.be/6LkvWLf-RV8[/video]

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
The amount of weight one can put up doesn't matter..... incline/decline dips etc can all be useful tools to building a bigger bench...

You cant just say," it doesn't work for me... no point in doing it"

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
The amount of weight one can put up doesn't matter..... incline/decline dips etc can all be useful tools to building a bigger bench...

You cant just say," it doesn't work for me... no point in doing it"
Decline is still worthless IMO. I've got to where I'm at without it.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
IMHO the problem with using decline to train for a bench competition is that it has a very short ROM and I personally don't feel much from using it. It could be used in the "x" rep scheme where the weight isn't brought to the chest, nor is it locked out.

All in all, it wouldn't hurt your bench, but I don't think it would be the best way to up it.

ManBeast

barry2313

barry2313

Awards
Also is it better to do weighted dips or dips with no weight for like 20 rep sets?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Build up your back and tris. Extra chest work doest really help your bench, Unless its cambered or deep dbs. But the primary movers in the bench are delts, tris, and back. NOT CHEST. This is right out of the westside book of methods.

barry2313

barry2313

Awards
I do work on back and tris I do every body part twice a week monday chest/tris Tuesday- shoulders/ back Wednesday- bi's/legs and repeat the cycle. Does anyone have a better way to train than this. And could some one answer my question about the dips.
Thanks

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
I feel that you need to take into account for the range of motion and what muscles will be used during the lift.

I have a great book laying around here somewhere that breaks that all down.

Give me a do or so and Ill get you the details

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Build up your back and tris. Extra chest work doest really help your bench, Unless its cambered or deep dbs. But the primary movers in the bench are delts, tris, and back. NOT CHEST. This is right out of the westside book of methods.
^^^^

This.

And, where is you're sticking point? Is it the first 3-4 inches off the chest; the lockout; mid-way, etc? Identify your sticking point. Spend your second "chest day" working to strengthen it, and watch your bench press increase.

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^^^^

This.

And, where is you're sticking point? Is it the first 3-4 inches off the chest; the lockout; mid-way, etc? Identify your sticking point. Spend your second "chest day" working to strengthen it, and watch your bench press increase.

Br
i cant rep you until I rep more ppl lol

Also weighted versus high rep sets doesnt matter, Id use both during you training to test both sides of your rep strength.

Also if your training for strength there is no point in having any "chest, tris" "back,delts" "legs, bis" or any split really. The best in the world train in an upper/lower fashion and even more specific in a lift fashion such as ME bench, ME squats/deadlift, DE bench, DE squat/deadlift like at westside. Or bench+assistence, squat+assistence, oh press+assistence, deadlift+assistence such as in 5/3/1. Id personally suggest you do a split like this.

ME Bench
ME Bench variations
Deep DB work neutral grip/Dips/ect
Back work
Upper back work+tris, sometimes lateral raises here or ytl's

ME Squat/Deadlift
ME Squat/Deadlift variations
Ham/Glute/Post Chain work
Back work
Hips+Core work

DE Bench
DE Bench with chains/bands/ect
Heavy tris work
Rep tris work
Back work
Trap work/Upper back work

DE Squat/Deadlift
DE Box Squat with chains/bands/ect
Hams/Glutes/Post Chain work
Hams/Glute Work or Hip work or Leg press work
Core Work

As you can see I train westside but this is an example of what I would do. The variations of each lift make the lift harder where I already have trouble at to help reinforce even better technique and form. More of my assistence work is foundational work. Since the primary movers in the bench are back/delts/tris That is most of my work, also my sticking point is off my chest hence the deep db work but with neutral grip to still work my tris the most. The primary movers in a powerlifting squat and deadlift are the hams/glutes/hips/back/core NOT quads. This is why more of my work is in those areas. I also do lots of GPP and conditioning too. This is an example of what a split would look like for you. Hope this helps.

barry2313

barry2313

Awards
So when u train upper and lower you would do chest tris bi delts in one day and legs on another ?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its mostly tries and back as my delts and chest get enough work from the heavy pressing. Also I do bicep work like 1-2 times a month, if that they get enough work from the heavy rows and chins.

And lower is mostly lower back, glutes, hams, core, and hips work. I do very lil quad work bc they arnt MY WEAK POINT. But yes pretty much.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So when u train upper and lower you would do chest tris bi delts in one day and legs on another ?
Stop thinking muscle groups and start thinking movements.

Four major movement patterns to consider when strength training:

Upper body horizontal
Upper body vertical
Lower body squat
Lower body pull (dead lift)

The horizontal can broken down into the push (bench press) and pull (bent over barbell row)
The vertical falls along the same lines (over head press vs. pull ups).

If you want to get strong, improve movement, and build a proportionate physique, then you have to start thinking about balancing these movements.

Br

PS: Thanks lou!

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Decline is still worthless IMO. I've got to where I'm at without it.
opinions are like @ssholes... everyone has one and they all stink

your not even that strong bro... fall back small back

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
Swollen,

Before you try talking to me again, why don't you adjust your language?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stop thinking muscle groups and start thinking movements.

Four major movement patterns to consider when strength training:

Upper body horizontal
Upper body vertical
Lower body squat
Lower body pull (dead lift)

The horizontal can broken down into the push (bench press) and pull (bent over barbell row)
The vertical falls along the same lines (over head press vs. pull ups).

If you want to get strong, improve movement, and build a proportionate physique, then you have to start thinking about balancing these movements.

Br

PS: Thanks lou!
^^^^ This
Once I started training movements my lifts took off.
5/3/1 was a good program that focused on
Bench (horizontal)
Press (vertical)
Squat
Deadlift

Listen to this man.

And your welcome Zir Red

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i do westside and my main pressing movements are...
floorpress + chains
bench + bands
bench + reverse bands
bench + chains
and wide grip variations of these as well my average for these is 370-390 except floor press

i also do a lot of heaving rowing movement such as tbar 5x5 and than the next time i hit my back, ill do 1 arm dumbells rows chest suppored for 5x20 or so

for my delts 90% of the time i do rear delt flyes of facepulls

and for triceps i usuallaly do a lower rep pressing movement + a higher rep extension movement. idk if theres much any science behind it but it works for me and my two friends who all train together

joeblow1

Awards
I am currently training for a benching competition and i am wondering what exercise is better for building strength. I work out my chest on Mondays a Thursdays. I am wondering if it is better to do either incline or decline both days, incline and decline on both of the days or switch them like decline on a monday on incline on a thursday.
Thanks
Incline close grip db press. Decline is pretty much a waste for pl.

joeblow1

Awards
Also is it better to do weighted dips or dips with no weight for like 20 rep sets?
Its better to do close grip bench, board press, jm press, floor press. These have more carryover for pl. Dips build tris and chest but tax shoulders. I have done dips with 110 lbs straped to my waist and my tris grew but didnt carryover to bench and my shoulders were beat to hell. So I gave them up and my bench continues to grow with out them. There better for bb.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i do westside and my main pressing movements are...
floorpress + chains
bench + bands
bench + reverse bands
bench + chains
and wide grip variations of these as well my average for these is 370-390 except floor press

i also do a lot of heaving rowing movement such as tbar 5x5 and than the next time i hit my back, ill do 1 arm dumbells rows chest suppored for 5x20 or so

for my delts 90% of the time i do rear delt flyes of facepulls

and for triceps i usuallaly do a lower rep pressing movement + a higher rep extension movement. idk if theres much any science behind it but it works for me and my two friends who all train together
If you havent had a chance I suggest getting the westside book of methods. louies routine is pretty scientific if you ask me. The book helps so much.

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
If you havent had a chance I suggest getting the westside book of methods. louies routine is pretty scientific if you ask me. The book helps so much.
Great advice.

I worked with Cory (VP of Muscle Pharm) about 4 years ago and he was in transition from body building to power lifter.

He was hardcore into the Westside training. Those were some of my best gains not only in size, but power as well.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
i got most of the concepts of it. I have a elite PLer who pretty much helps me out w everything so far. he smart fellow