which routine is better?

day 1 chest/tri's
    day 2 back/bi's
    day 3 shoulders
    day 4 legs
    day 5 rest
    repeat days 1-5

OR

same thing but legs on day 3 and shoulders on day 4? I'm wondering if rear delts will be too thrashed to make a good shoulder day, but I just got done doing shoulders with the first mentioned routine and I didn't feel any weaker than normal.

and what day should I throw in some ab work? I never seem to know when to fit that in...

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

They both look very... routine
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    They both look very... routine
    Lmao!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.02%

Ok...well anything constructive to add?
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%

Goals? Exercise selection, set/rep scheme, etc might be useful in assisting you.

Br
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak
    Ok...well anything constructive to add?
    You know he wasn't being in Un-constructive right? He was leading you. Like in the court room
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.02%

I did not catch the sarcasm.. :P My goal is to gain lean mass. Got a good diet of 3K calories/day in place with all the right supps. I typically do 4 sets of increasing weight (pyramids I think that is called). So set 1 do 15 reps, set 2 do 12, set 3 do 10, set 4 do 8 (or to failure). I have never done the exact same exercises every single session just to keep things fresh, so I will list the exercises which I do most often. The first four are the most regularly done exercises. I hope this helps.

Chest/Tri day:
    Decline DB Bench
    Incline DB Bench
    Cable Flies
    Weighted dips
    Reverse grip flat BB bench
    Flat DB bench
    Then for triceps - cable pushdowns, skullcrushers, BW dips with focus on using triceps more than chest

Back/Bi's:
    Bent over BB rows
    Deadlifts
    Lat Pulldowns
    Hyperextensions
    Bent over DB rows
    Pull-ups (hammer grip or supinated grip)
    And for biceps - seated DB curls, standing barbell curls, standing DB hammer curls

Shoulders:
    Seated DB press
    Standing upright row
    Seated Arnold press
    Standing BB press (behind the neck, but lowering the bar only until it disappears behind my head in the mirror)
    DB Lateral raises

Legs:
    Squats (barbell on back, not front squats)
    Deadlifts
    Leg press machine
    Calf raises
    Leg extension machine
    Leg curl machine

I hope that explains things better...I only do 4 different exercises for each muscle group. When doing biceps or triceps on back or chest days, respectively, I only do 2 of those exercises 4x10. So for example on back day, after finishing my 4 back exercises I would do standing BB curl then hammer curl.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.66%

Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak View Post
    I did not catch the sarcasm.. :P My goal is to gain lean mass. Got a good diet of 3K calories/day in place with all the right supps. I typically do 4 sets of increasing weight (pyramids I think that is called). So set 1 do 15 reps, set 2 do 12, set 3 do 10, set 4 do 8 (or to failure). I have never done the exact same exercises every single session just to keep things fresh, so I will list the exercises which I do most often. The first four are the most regularly done exercises. I hope this helps.

Chest/Tri day:
    Decline DB Bench
    Incline DB Bench
    Cable Flies
    Weighted dips
    Reverse grip flat BB bench
    Flat DB bench
    Then for triceps - cable pushdowns, skullcrushers, BW dips with focus on using triceps more than chest

Back/Bi's:
    Bent over BB rows
    Deadlifts
    Lat Pulldowns
    Hyperextensions
    Bent over DB rows
    Pull-ups (hammer grip or supinated grip)
    And for biceps - seated DB curls, standing barbell curls, standing DB hammer curls

Shoulders:
    Seated DB press
    Standing upright row
    Seated Arnold press
    Standing BB press (behind the neck, but lowering the bar only until it disappears behind my head in the mirror)
    DB Lateral raises

Legs:
    Squats (barbell on back, not front squats)
    Deadlifts
    Leg press machine
    Calf raises
    Leg extension machine
    Leg curl machine

I hope that explains things better...I only do 4 different exercises for each muscle group. When doing biceps or triceps on back or chest days, respectively, I only do 2 of those exercises 4x10. So for example on back day, after finishing my 4 back exercises I would do standing BB curl then hammer curl.
    ugh! Red, do u wanna field this 1! lmao..... Whats your lifting experience?? Because imo, that program you wrote out will lead you no where fast.....
    "Dont worry about the burn man! You can do Jane Fonda classes if you want the burn"
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

You only do 4 exercises for each muscle group? I count 5-6 directly targeting each muscle group in most laid out there. Example, look at your back routine. That's what 6 right there.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%

Couple quick points to make.

First, 3000 calories is probably not enough to fuel muscle growth unless you are 5'6 150 pounds. It takes 2500-3000 additional calories fuel the building of one pound of muscle mass.

Next, ditch the partial behind the neck barbell presses. I read about this in another thread you posted in. Its a terrible idea that places the shoulder in a very comprimised position without any real benefits.

Finally, think about progressions. Practicing something once is generally not enough time to master the skill. By changing exercises every session you're not allowing for full muscular adaptations because motor programming (the set of signals sent from the brain to the muscle fibers in correct order, intensity, etc.) is not optimized.
    Along those same lines - building muscle requires progressive overload. Increased weght, sets, reps, or decreased rest periods over a period of time.

Br
  11. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.26%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I'll offer some advice.

For a routine no1 can pin point what will work/well for you. You need to try many things sometimes for a while to see any results.

Now there are a ton of routines based on skill level & goal?

Myself I use a mix of some heavy days and some volume days try a mix of that. You can google routines and find a ton and pick 1 out try it for a bit then switch. I am still new to the game and I'm always changing it up. When I say changing it up, not talking every week here lol.

Are you gaining weight now with what you are eating? Yes? Want more weight add more calories.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Couple quick points to make.

First, 3000 calories is probably not enough to fuel muscle growth unless you are 5'6 150 pounds. It takes 2500-3000 additional calories fuel the building of one pound of muscle mass.

Next, ditch the partial behind the neck barbell presses. I read about this in another thread you posted in. Its a terrible idea that places the shoulder in a very comprimised position without any real benefits.

Finally, think about progressions. Practicing something once is generally not enough time to master the skill. By changing exercises every session you're not allowing for full muscular adaptations because motor programming (the set of signals sent from the brain to the muscle fibers in correct order, intensity, etc.) is not optimized.
    Along those same lines - building muscle requires progressive overload. Increased weght, sets, reps, or decreased rest periods over a period of time.

Br
    I kinda disagree with one thing. Also, I'm not questioning ur education, there is no doubt u know ur ****. When u say it's not good to change ur exercises from session to session, does that mean, say I start will flat bench one week and then do flat last the next week? That's just an example. I'm always mixing it up. I just wanna know because it seems to work for me in gaining definition, strength etc... Or maybe it's just in my head. Lol. Since u say it's not good.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.33%

I think he's saying don't switch up your whole routine every week switching in different exercises I don't see a prob with.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

Quote Originally Posted by rsnake21
    I think he's saying don't switch up your whole routine every week switching in different exercises I don't see a prob with.
    Oh. Ok. Thanks
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.02%

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    You only do 4 exercises for each muscle group? I count 5-6 directly targeting each muscle group in most laid out there. Example, look at your back routine. That's what 6 right there.
    Those are the 5-6 I alternate with. I only do 4 exercises per session, which are chosen from the ones I listed. The higher on the list, the more often those are chosen.

The scale says I'm slowly gaining on 3K...if things slow down I'll add more. BWx16 states a daily 500calorie surplus would put me at 3200. I used to be really overweight and am reasonably lean these days, so I'm trying to be as cautious as possible with regard to gaining weight again. I am 6ft 180lbs, 24 year old male. The only physical activity I get is at the gym. Would you say 3K is still too low and I am hampering my gains? Remember I don't mind if they come slowly...I just don't want to be fat again.

I will ditch the behind the neck barbell presses. Perhaps it is just in my head, but I know I can feel my rear delts being activated more when doing those. I will sub it for something safer like rear delt flies.

So instead of switching things up each time I hit a particular muscle group, I should choose 4 exercises and stick with them for a certain amount of time before changing to a different 4. Am I understanding that correctly?
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%

Quote Originally Posted by matt8483 View Post
    I kinda disagree with one thing. Also, I'm not questioning ur education, there is no doubt u know ur ****. When u say it's not good to change ur exercises from session to session, does that mean, say I start will flat bench one week and then do flat last the next week? That's just an example. I'm always mixing it up. I just wanna know because it seems to work for me in gaining definition, strength etc... Or maybe it's just in my head. Lol. Since u say it's not good.
    What rsnake said, switching the exercises every session. Nothing wrong with changing the order.

And don't hesitate to question me if I say something you disagree with or doesn't make sense. I often enjoy it

Br
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%

Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak View Post

So instead of switching things up each time I hit a particular muscle group, I should choose 4 exercises and stick with them for a certain amount of time before changing to a different 4. Am I understanding that correctly?
    Yes, at least the major movements. Ancillary and core movements aren't as big of a deal to change around every few sessions.

Progress with those exercises for 4-6 sessions then switch to new ones for 4-6.

Change them reps every 2nd to 3rd session - check out non linear periodization

Br
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.02%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Yes, at least the major movements. Ancillary and core movements aren't as big of a deal to change around every few sessions.

Progress with those exercises for 4-6 sessions then switch to new ones for 4-6.

Change them reps every 2nd to 3rd session - check out non linear periodization

Br
    I will do exactly that. Very informative. Thanks!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Muscle Confusion or The ‘Non – Routine’ Routine
    By Quinc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 04:10 AM
  3. DC routine??
    By East1600Plus in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 10:01 PM
  4. New Routine