Best thing for arms

cg123

Awards
Right now I have a 3 day split with chest/tri back/bis shoulders/legs. My arms feel like they are getting smaller. Should I switch to a just arms day or what? Please help thanks

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
what does you back and chest workout look like?? Heavy dips/deads/chin/pullups/rows give alot of arm stimulation, you gotta find out weather your hitting them to hard or not hard enough for your genetics, If i am running splits and do a big back day, my arms are pumped and fried! Sometimes for the ego ill chuck in a hammer/db curl for around 2 sets.

What do your lifts look like also?? just looking at you weight to height i would say your fairly slim, maybe jumping on a fullbody would benefit you more??

dannyn2007

Awards
Make sure you are not over training. Diet plays a huge role, make sure you eat enough to stimulate muscle growth. Food=growth. Stick with compound movement mention above. Dips, deadlift, pull ups, presses, etc. Rep and weight rang plays a role too.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Like dannyn said, u must eat! U will never grow unless u eat. Also, it depends on how hard u hit chest and back. In my opinion, I think u should try pairing up bis/tris together and see how that works. And workout back, chest, shoulders, and legs once a week. So every body part gets one week to rest. And just make sure u feed ur muscles.

joeblow1

Awards
Right now I have a 3 day split with chest/tri back/bis shoulders/legs. My arms feel like they are getting smaller. Should I switch to a just arms day or what? Please help thanks
If your doing heavy compound movements for chest and back your arms should be growing. The extra work with close grip bench, barbell curls, skull crushers etc. Should keep them growing. You have to trin hard and heavy if you wabt strength and mass. There is no easy way, if that was the case no one would be fat or skinny. Increase intensity and eat.

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
Eat more and of course, chin-ups on the reg.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
try DC training if you can understand it. it got my arms bigger. also, do pull ups!!! then blast your biceps.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
what does you back and chest workout look like?? Heavy dips/deads/chin/pullups/rows give alot of arm stimulation, you gotta find out weather your hitting them to hard or not hard enough for your genetics, If i am running splits and do a big back day, my arms are pumped and fried! Sometimes for the ego ill chuck in a hammer/db curl for around 2 sets.

What do your lifts look like also?? just looking at you weight to height i would say your fairly slim, maybe jumping on a fullbody would benefit you more??
I switch between a 3 day split and a full body sometimes.

What are your thoughts on full body Newton?
Think it helps smaller new guys getting in the game?
When I tried full body in the past it exhausted me lol....

cg123

Awards
I am 6 1 almost 190. I used to be really skinny like 140 a year and almost a half ago. And ya I have done full body already. Anything else I could try?

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I switch between a 3 day split and a full body sometimes.

What are your thoughts on full body Newton?
Think it helps smaller new guys getting in the game?
When I tried full body in the past it exhausted me lol....
Im a big advocate personally on full body routines up to a certain point at least being around the whole 300/400/500 bench/squat/dead. When i say this though i mean the basic FB routines like SS or 5x5 and not the ones you find on bb.com ect. For the newer skinner guy provided there diet is where it needs to be, rapid strength gains with linear progression will yield to a faster change in body composition then your standard bodybuilding routine. (I feel majority of natural bodybuilders need to dabble in the powerlifting side of things to help with there physique development.)
Once said strength goals are reached and lifts start stalling i would then get people to move onto my next preferred method of training which is 5/3/1 but using an upper/lower split which will continue you to make strength gains in the major lifts combining progressive overload through the main lifts, and some more progressive overload but mainly tension overload via accessory work. (Getting abit OT now :D )

As far as you feeling burnt out on a fullbody routine, what was the routine exactly? was it a version you stumbled across or made up yourself? or was it a proven FB method. Either your super strong and were pumping out 500lb squats 3times a week burnt you out, or your diet and sleep were off at the time.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I am 6 1 almost 190. I used to be really skinny like 140 a year and almost a half ago. And ya I have done full body already. Anything else I could try?
again though wheres your strength levels at? Get your macros and cals perfected and i reckon you could still milk linear progression if your strength isnt that great yet and make good gains from it.

cg123

Awards
My strength is good and I have been lifting heavy. Everything is fine. I just wanted to know some tips to bigger arms because that is my main goal

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
My strength is good and I have been lifting heavy. Everything is fine. I just wanted to know some tips to bigger arms because that is my main goal
No worries, if thats the case i would be beating a dead horse if i said anymore, everything has been posted on how to get bigger arms in the previous 10 posts

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Im a big advocate personally on full body routines up to a certain point at least being around the whole 300/400/500 bench/squat/dead. When i say this though i mean the basic FB routines like SS or 5x5 and not the ones you find on bb.com ect. For the newer skinner guy provided there diet is where it needs to be, rapid strength gains with linear progression will yield to a faster change in body composition then your standard bodybuilding routine. (I feel majority of natural bodybuilders need to dabble in the powerlifting side of things to help with there physique development.)
Once said strength goals are reached and lifts start stalling i would then get people to move onto my next preferred method of training which is 5/3/1 but using an upper/lower split which will continue you to make strength gains in the major lifts combining progressive overload through the main lifts, and some more progressive overload but mainly tension overload via accessory work. (Getting abit OT now :D )

As far as you feeling burnt out on a fullbody routine, what was the routine exactly? was it a version you stumbled across or made up yourself? or was it a proven FB method. Either your super strong and were pumping out 500lb squats 3times a week burnt you out, or your diet and sleep were off at the time.
I'd take it that diet and sleep was off.
I was doing like 2 exercises and about each muscle and 2 sets by 10 reps....
It was a routine I found.

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I'd take it that diet and sleep was off.
I was doing like 2 exercises and about each muscle and 2 sets by 10 reps....
It was a routine I found.
congratz on the rep position to bro!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Im on a 4 day split focusing on indirect/direct muscle stress. Arms (especially biceps) are a tough growing point for me. Earlier in the week I hit back and 2-3 days later directly lift biceps.

One week is just heavy powerlifts. Every other week I crosstrain bis/tris as so:
Superset 1:
Bis 4-6 ---> Tris 16-20 (3 sets)
Superset 2:
Tris 4-6 ---> Bis 16-20 (3 sets) <--repeat sequence with alternative exercises

I can be pretty brutal both resistance and cardio

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I used to use the same split, and I didn't feel like my arms were growing like they should have been. I started doing the following on cardio days and my arms did start to look more full:

Basically it's two supersets.

8 sets db curls alternating with triceps pushdowns with no rest between either. So curl/pushdown/curl/pushdown 4 times. The pump is unreal.

Rest 2 minutes then immediately get into:

8 sets bb curls alternating with bench triceps dips. Same deal as with the above - no rest. Use roughly 80% of the weight you'd usually use for curls/pushdowns and see if you can make it through. It absolutely wrecked me the first time through.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i hate full body as well. when im in school, i do DC training mainly so i only have to be in the gym three days a week and yet its one of the hardest yet rewarding routine i have done.

cg123

Awards
yeah i hate full body as well. when im in school, i do DC training mainly so i only have to be in the gym three days a week and yet its one of the hardest yet rewarding routine i have done.
Everyone tells me about dc and gives me articles and reading and I have read this. Can u or someone just finally give me a workout plan with excercises sets etc?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its split up with A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 each with its own workouts. for example

Monday - A1 - follow the workouts for A1

Wednesday - B1 follow for B1

Friday - A2

Monday - B2

Wednesday - A3

Friday - B3

...etc

joeblow1

Awards
Everyone tells me about dc and gives me articles and reading and I have read this. Can u or someone just finally give me a workout plan with excercises sets etc?
There isnt a magical plan or number of sets. Its based on hard work, diet, intensity, dedication, and time. No one will have 22 inch guns in a couple months unless your a fat ass. But thats not muscle its fat. Do heavy compound movements then do barbell curls, cable curls, and hammer curls. Do them as intensely as you can. Then eat like a man that wants to be jacked. There is no shortcut it takes time to get big. There is only one secret, lift big + eat big = get big. Do this and in a few years youll have some decent size.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Weighted dips and chin ups are the best thing for overall arm size. IMO.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
oh i agree. my arms really respond well to reverse grip bench press and pull ups. love em
How safe is going heavy with a reverse grip on the bench? I've heard mixed reports about grip giving out, throats being crushed...etc. But I've also heard it's a great exercise.

woodbear

Awards
Had stubborn arms, found my answer when i got them from 14"-17" in one year drug free. (didnt gain any arm size on my 4week havoc try , so i dont count it) my stats 5'4" 175lbs, approx 15% bf and 17"-17'5" pumped.

Started with 11".
1. Gain overall size.
2. For me, the dips and pullups thing and minimal arm work only seems to work for those with low insertions and good arm genetics.. But is a good way to start.
3. My arms only grow on 12-20 reps works, minimum 20sets, training until they are max pumped and i hardly can lift anything.
They get their strength training from alot heavier chest and back work.

Split for succes:
Chest triceps( closegrip bench the first exercise for both chest and triceps... If tris are weaker than chest.. Mine where, now the are equal)
Back biceps.
Shouldes triceps
Legs biceps
Rest
Repeat
Or insert rest days after need. Vary volume and rep ranges . Lower , heavier means more rest days ...
Different exercises on the two arm workouts per round.

Slightly based on cedric mc millans plan. Can also be used for a hit like routine too.. I vary.. I gain strengh during a lower rep phase, (2-4 reps) and size comes when i then switch to high volume later.

Ive tried no training arms, doing very little arm work, until i tried high frequency for them.

Ps dont start with 20 -30 sets, start with little and get used to high volume over time.

Just my idea, worked wonders for me, might not for you.

woodbear

Awards
Ps i started with bodyweight of 49kgs and 11" arms 16 years ago. Started put with high volume lee priest like training , and grew up to 13-14" in short time, then i got into the hit/hd thing and they stayed the same for 10years, but gradually everything grew more than arms, after a while they look really small...so i though, after dc training and higher frequency got them up to 15" but the rest of my body grew even better, hence not a good look, especially considering i always wanted impressive arms.. I started lowring frequency on the rest of my body, while increasing for weaker parts.
Legs are my biggest bodypart, so i train them only every 2-3 legs/bicep workouts... Just to maintain.
Another thing, legs seem to take away from upper body gains, my upperbody grew like crazy when i took 6 months off leg work...my legs hardly shrank..perhaps half an inch..

Want bigger arms, dont train legs for awhile...squatting never improved my arms,..just the opposite.. But then again, got a really powerful lower body... So i canmget away with minimum leg work...

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How safe is going heavy with a reverse grip on the bench? I've heard mixed reports about grip giving out, throats being crushed...etc. But I've also heard it's a great exercise.
do it on the smith machine :D i go shoulder width, but with DC, u dont go EXTREMELY heavy anyways.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
If you want big arms you need an arm day period despite what a lot guy say in this sit. Lets see there huge arms??? Anyways without ranting on don't over complicate it. Here is a sample workout try it!

Weighted dips
Straight bar curl
Close grip bench
Hammer curls
Single arm Over head extensions
Preacher curls

Drop set rope press down
Drop set single arm cable curl

Start at six reps 3 sets on week one then each week do one more Rep. Once you get to 12 reps start at 6 again and up the weight as much as u can.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want big arms you need an arm day period despite what a lot guy say in this sit. Lets see there huge arms??? Anyways without ranting on don't over complicate it. Here is a sample workout try it!

Weighted dips
Straight bar curl
Close grip bench
Hammer curls
Single arm Over head extensions
Preacher curls

Drop set rope press down
Drop set single arm cable curl

Start at six reps 3 sets on week one then each week do one more Rep. Once you get to 12 reps start at 6 again and up the weight as much as u can.

so im guessing you have never seen a guy with big arms that never do an arm day huh? like powerlifters? i know many ppl who dont lift arms and have big arms

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Want bigger arms, dont train legs for awhile...squatting never improved my arms,..just the opposite.. But then again, got a really powerful lower body... So i canmget away with minimum leg work...
Sorry but this makes no sense.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
so im guessing you have never seen a guy with big arms that never do an arm day huh? like powerlifters? i know many ppl who dont lift arms and have big arms
Yea sure like Ronnie c. But at the end the day its the truth. Powerlifters do not have impressive arms they are just all big. There are a couple but they most likely have bodybuilding background. That's like saying don't train abs Cuz squats and deadlifts work ABS. Or don't train calves because they get worked during leg day. Or don't train traps!! All preposterus statements!!

If you want proptionaly big arms you gotta freaking give it all you got. And if your constantly training them AFTER chest/back you only give your arms what's left in the tank.

So now you can go Google some genetically gifted Guy who never had an arm day n prove me wrong. So yes there is always exceptions But at the end of the day what I'm saying isn't based on bro science its the truth based on Joe weiders principal of muscle prioritizing! Now go train your arms! Lol

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, would rather dedicate the extra day to hitting back/chest again, which is what I do now.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Agreed, would rather dedicate the extra day to hitting back/chest again, which is what I do now.
That's fine. Everyone has different builds n a different look there going for. I personally have never done a shoulder day cuz they would get way to big. Am gifted in that region. Suppose someone approaches me at gym n says how do you get those shoulders. I'm not going to say don't do a shoulder day lol. Im going to say if you want to really bring them up do shoulder days or train them first n blast those suckers. You see the point here?

You guys are forgetting this thread is on ARMS! If you want um big, freaky big for the last time do an arm day at least once ever 2 weeks on top what u do now.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's fine. Everyone has different builds n a different look there going for. I personally have never done a shoulder day cuz they would get way to big. Am gifted in that region. Suppose someone approaches me at gym n says how do you get those shoulders. I'm not going to say don't do a shoulder day lol. Im going to say if you want to really bring them up do shoulder days or train them first n blast those suckers. You see the point here?

You guys are forgetting this thread is on ARMS! If you want um big, freaky big for the last time do an arm day at least once ever 2 weeks on top what u do now.
i want you to try something for a few weeks. drop arm day all together. when you hit chest, do a compound movement for triceps and an accessory movement. same for back and biceps but do close grip pull ups and do about 4 sets of those. i PROMISE you that you will see results.

are you the guy that does tricep kickbacks in the gym?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

im not saying dont train arms. but its possible to get big arms without directly hitting them as an arm day. i am proof. and i dont do shoulders either.

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
im not saying dont train arms. but its possible to get big arms without directly hitting them as an arm day. i am proof. and i dont do shoulders either.
Sorry man buts that's just bro science like I said. If you read my previous post u kno there are many exceptions. And yea I believe you have great arm n don't do a arm day. But if you wanted to get freaky big shoulders for who knows what reason would you train them after back or chest?? No you make them a priority.

I'm not saying you can't get well developed arms with out arm day. Im saying if you want them to be the best they can or what tgis thread is on..the best things for arms that's what it is! Arm day. Cut n dry. Its Joe weiders basic principles or training man. So for you try doing a hard core arm day for next three weeks n you will see bigger better results ! LOL ;)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not necessarily. Every persons body responds different. Some respond to more concentrated work like arm day, others are the opposite. Gotta find what works for you. There is something called over training as well....

cg123

Awards
Not necessarily. Every persons body responds different. Some respond to more concentrated work like arm day, others are the opposite. Gotta find what works for you. There is something called over training as well....
Ya overtraining could be a problem. Right now if I'm doing a chest tri. Back bi. Legs shoulders 3 day. Should I add an arms day too. Or would that just overdo it?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let me put it this way. Have you ever seen a guy with a big back and big chest with small arms

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Ya overtraining could be a problem. Right now if I'm doing a chest tri. Back bi. Legs shoulders 3 day. Should I add an arms day too. Or would that just overdo it?
When you train your tri with chest or bi with back I would do 2 exercises primarily focused on developing more strength then do an arm day focusing on adding size at end of week. Over training wont be an issue. Maybe under eating not resting enough but over training wont be an issue. I'd throw in some core routines too.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i sometimes do this, but here is how i do it so i dont overtrain

Chest - 3 chest movements and DC stretching at the end.

Triceps - 1 compound movement (4 sets)

Back - 3 back movements and DC stretch

Biceps - 1 compound movement (4 sets)

Arm day - 10 sets of triceps and 10 sets of biceps,

if you dont do shoulders, this will be fine.

mon - chest/tri
tues - back/bi
wed - off
thurs - legs/abs
fri - arms
weekend off

i used to do this exact routine, but have seen alot better results from DC (not a knock to the routine, i have used tons of different routines and DC is the best for my body)

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
<3 DC

joeblow1

Awards
When you train your tri with chest or bi with back I would do 2 exercises primarily focused on developing more strength then do an arm day focusing on adding size at end of week. Over training wont be an issue. Maybe under eating not resting enough but over training wont be an issue. I'd throw in some core routines too.
You do not need to have an arm day thats a waste of training. Compound movements increase muscle mass way more than isolation moves directly focusing on arms. You indeed should train arms after heavy back and chest. You are basically finishing them off. Go to a gym and find a guy who does rows and bench with a **** load of weight I bet he has big guns. Then go find someone who only benches 2-300 lbs and focuses a whole day on arms my guess is hes not that big. You have to move big weights to get big. The body grows together. The only people with big arms and little torso are on synthol.

woodbear

Awards
I train generally like I wrote either biceps or triceps after every other bodypart workout.. ie. tris after chest.
main reason, if not, I need a rest day between, or leg day. I don`t like doing arms the day before chest or back...because that will make those bodyparts suffer.
chest, tris
back bis
shoulders tris
legs bis

is a very good way to split up for more frequent arm work without killing off gains on the big lifts..

chest/back
shoulders/arms
legs.... not good, training shoulders and arms the day after legs, is not optimal, since they where worked very hard the day before.

biceps before back day is just plain stupid, so is triceps before chest.

I gained alot more doing highrep armwork frequent, than heavy armwork once a week... 4-8reps never result in much arm size.. but works wonders for chest and back...

Alot of people want to have a decent build with a bit to big arms, but to get the really oversized arms... like som have, look at your genetic... do you have long biceps insertions almost down to your forearms, same with triceps... or do you have a big gap, but high peak.
I have the short biceps, my arms will only match the rest of my body with insane amount of work... while I have 2 friends with those wonderful thick arms, round delts, but slim torsos.. if you put their arms together, they are just aas thick as their entire torso... these guys naturally don`t care so much for doing alot of arm work, since unlike us, is their strong point, as they grow regardsless... while their chest and backs hardly budge....

It seems like the guys with those kind of arms, also involve them alot more in the big lifts, so much, they have a hard time getting a big torso.. people are different... the best way to see what works, is to try something very different...

but I vote higher frequency before an arm day...

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I train generally like I wrote either biceps or triceps after every other bodypart workout.. ie. tris after chest.
main reason, if not, I need a rest day between, or leg day. I don`t like doing arms the day before chest or back...because that will make those bodyparts suffer.
chest, tris
back bis
shoulders tris
legs bis

is a very good way to split up for more frequent arm work without killing off gains on the big lifts..

chest/back
shoulders/arms
legs.... not good, training shoulders and arms the day after legs, is not optimal, since they where worked very hard the day before.

biceps before back day is just plain stupid, so is triceps before chest.

I gained alot more doing highrep armwork frequent, than heavy armwork once a week... 4-8reps never result in much arm size.. but works wonders for chest and back...

Alot of people want to have a decent build with a bit to big arms, but to get the really oversized arms... like som have, look at your genetic... do you have long biceps insertions almost down to your forearms, same with triceps... or do you have a big gap, but high peak.
I have the short biceps, my arms will only match the rest of my body with insane amount of work... while I have 2 friends with those wonderful thick arms, round delts, but slim torsos.. if you put their arms together, they are just aas thick as their entire torso... these guys naturally don`t care so much for doing alot of arm work, since unlike us, is their strong point, as they grow regardsless... while their chest and backs hardly budge....

It seems like the guys with those kind of arms, also involve them alot more in the big lifts, so much, they have a hard time getting a big torso.. people are different... the best way to see what works, is to try something very different...

but I vote higher frequency before an arm day...
I like this as well. A bit much for me but if you genetically hindered in that area this sounds great!