Help me get big delts

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

Help me get big delts

I'd really like to hear from those of you who have noticeably large medial delts. You know, the outer or lateral section of your shoulder. I've been doing lateral raises and presses(dumbell and barbell) and cant seem to get mine to grow. Is there some secret. What should i do???
    Get free gift cards for supplements by using this search engine. Seriously. --PM me for link--

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by survey View Post
    I'd really like to hear from those of you who have noticeably large medial delts. You know, the outer or lateral section of your shoulder. I've been doing lateral raises and presses(dumbell and barbell) and cant seem to get mine to grow. Is there some secret. What should i do???
    What are your BB, and DB Press numbers looking like?
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.67%

CHeck your form,,, see alot of jamokes at gym doing laterls complety wrong and not even working their delts.. whats your routine???
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
    What are your BB, and DB Press numbers looking like?
    I do 5x5 standing barbell presses with 115. Db 40-50 lbs for 4 sets of 8. Then lateral raises.
    Get free gift cards for supplements by using this search engine. Seriously. --PM me for link--
  5. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%

Quote Originally Posted by survey

I do 5x5 standing barbell presses with 115. Db 40-50 lbs for 4 sets of 8. Then lateral raises.
    Let's see a pic.

Those weights would lead me to believe you just need more mass and to keep making weight progression.

When your repping the 100+ and standing strict overhead bb pressing 205-225 I will wager your delts will be fine.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds

Let's see a pic.

Those weights would lead me to believe you just need more mass and to keep making weight progression.

When your repping the 100+ and standing strict overhead bb pressing 205-225 I will wager your delts will be fine.
    From 225 to 203 and still going/ with pics

Check out this thread for pics.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

The pic at the very bottom of the thread is the latest one.
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%

As I suspected. You look pretty proportionate.

Keep plugging away IMO. No need for any special attention.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.86%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

One thing you'll also notice, as you continue to lose fat and build up your triceps, as well, you'll see more separation, which will make your delts look more impressive. Like Frank said, I don't think they're undersized by any means. Just keep up the good form, keep going and if anything, make sure you're keeping up with your rear delts, too (seated, bent-over rear delt DB side lateral raises are my favorite).
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.63%

Quote Originally Posted by survey
    As you get leaner the muscle separation will increase. If you want to give extra attention to your delts do lateral, front, rear raises in one set. Like 20 reps of each for 3 sets then do your presses. This will pre exhaust your delts and cause them to grow more. Then at the end do lateral raises again. Pick the heaviest weight you can do for 10 reps then do drop sets for as many reps as possible on each set of dumbells. I will warn you do not plan to lift your arms above your head the rest of the day.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  192 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.67%

so you are only doing 3 exercises????? why dont you add in some rear delt moves.. try 3-4 sets

DB PRESS
    Lateral
    Front
    BEnt over laterals
    REar pec deck/shrugs
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

All good advice. I do need to add some rear delt movements and I definately am going to try to progress in weight. Thanks guys.
  13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.34%

Like I said, hit this thread when you are SOHP'ng 225, and I bet you wont have small delts(as long as calories have been there, along the way)..lol

All this other stuff is secondary, to getting ****ing strong.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.72%

For most people I think front shoulder raises do more harm than good. The anterior delts are generally over developed in recreational weight lifters, and working them will only result in additional misbalances at the shoulder joint.

Now, are you doing your presses correctly? Most people don't, and they look like some sort of standing incline press without a correct ******* and with an over arched back.

Observe:

http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/...?exerciseID=90

Notice he engages his glutes and abs to keep his torso upright. The elbows are facing forward, there is no rear ward lean, and the bar finishes inline with the spine (i.e.: the elbows are align with or slightly behind the ears).

Br
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.45%

All good advice. I do need to add some rear delt movements and I definately am going to try to progress in weight. Thanks guys.
    Friend of mine told me about this lift for rear delts and I've never done another that hit them like this.

It's safer on a smith machine but you can do it w/o. Take a barbell with light or no weight just to get the form down. While standing in front of a mirror, press the barbell up behind your head. Lower the barbell just to the point that it disappears behind your head, and repeat. I love them. Don't go any further down than the point that the barbell disappears behind your head.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak

Friend of mine told me about this lift for rear delts and I've never done another that hit them like this.

It's safer on a smith machine but you can do it w/o. Take a barbell with light or no weight just to get the form down. While standing in front of a mirror, press the barbell up behind your head. Lower the barbell just to the point that it disappears behind your head, and repeat. I love them. Don't go any further down than the point that the barbell disappears behind your head.
    So its a behind the neck bb press, but you dont touch the bar to your neck in the negative?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.2%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    For most people I think front shoulder raises do more harm than good. The anterior delts are generally over developed in recreational weight lifters, and working them will only result in additional misbalances at the shoulder joint.

Now, are you doing your presses correctly? Most people don't, and they look like some sort of standing incline press without a correct ******* and with an over arched back.

Observe:

Notice he engages his glutes and abs to keep his torso upright. The elbows are facing forward, there is no rear ward lean, and the bar finishes inline with the spine (i.e.: the elbows are align with or slightly behind the ears).

Br
    Ok! Thats a big help. I'll work on my form tomorrow using this as an example. Thanks
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.47%

I dedicate an entire workout to delts. Anterior posterior and medial, then go right into traps when finished. I use a machine for medial and anterior and dumbells for posterior. I stayed away from overhead press until I built them up as I was afraid of a shoulder injury might occur. I really don't feel there is any harm in using machines for delts as long as you work all three muscles evenly.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.45%

So its a behind the neck bb press, but you dont touch the bar to your neck in the negative?
    Right, but you don't risk the injury because you don't go down further than just the top of your head. Or so according to said friend.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.53%

Proper standing military presses will do the trick, old chap.
    On the road to bench pressing 400 pounds Currently over 360...
  21. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.37%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ponysteak View Post

Behind the neck bb presses don't activate the rear delt any better than normal presses. And actually, from what little scientific data I've seen on the matter, it actually puts more pressure on the anterior delt by stretching. Which can be either good or bad; but either way don't do BTN presses for your rear delts.

Do face pulls, rear delt rows and flies, etc.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Behind the neck bb presses don't activate the rear delt any better than normal presses. And actually, from what little scientific data I've seen on the matter, it actually puts more pressure on the anterior delt by stretching. Which can be either good or bad; but either way don't do BTN presses for your rear delts.

Do face pulls, rear delt rows and flies, etc.
    ^^^ Agreed.

Behind the neck presses or half presses as you've described, put the shoulder in a compromised position such that surpaspinatus and bieceps tendon impingement is occurring.

Br
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.45%

Noted. Thanks for the info.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.25%

Quote Originally Posted by Tboz
    CHeck your form,,, see alot of jamokes at gym doing laterls complety wrong and not even working their delts.. whats your routine???
    Very true I see them done wrong way more that I see them done right
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.36%

you need to work your rear delts and then do what your still doing.Lots of pressing man.You'll get there.Try out a higher than usual rep range
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.07%

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post

Observe:

Br
    This video is very helpful. i and most everyone i see don't adhere to this form in the gym. i'll be working on it.
  27. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.37%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by freefall365 View Post
    This video is very helpful. i and most everyone i see don't adhere to this form in the gym. i'll be working on it.
    It makes them a lot harder at first. Start real light and focus on form like crazy.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rear delts?
    By skindog101 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 10:46 PM
  2. 3/4in. Pin for delts?
    By searider in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM