Help me get big delts

survey

Awards
I'd really like to hear from those of you who have noticeably large medial delts. You know, the outer or lateral section of your shoulder. I've been doing lateral raises and presses(dumbell and barbell) and cant seem to get mine to grow. Is there some secret. What should i do???

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd really like to hear from those of you who have noticeably large medial delts. You know, the outer or lateral section of your shoulder. I've been doing lateral raises and presses(dumbell and barbell) and cant seem to get mine to grow. Is there some secret. What should i do???
What are your BB, and DB Press numbers looking like?

Tboz

Banned
Awards
CHeck your form,,, see alot of jamokes at gym doing laterls complety wrong and not even working their delts.. whats your routine???

survey

Awards
What are your BB, and DB Press numbers looking like?
I do 5x5 standing barbell presses with 115. Db 40-50 lbs for 4 sets of 8. Then lateral raises.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do 5x5 standing barbell presses with 115. Db 40-50 lbs for 4 sets of 8. Then lateral raises.
Let's see a pic.

Those weights would lead me to believe you just need more mass and to keep making weight progression.

When your repping the 100+ and standing strict overhead bb pressing 205-225 I will wager your delts will be fine.

survey

Awards

survey

Awards
The pic at the very bottom of the thread is the latest one.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As I suspected. You look pretty proportionate.

Keep plugging away IMO. No need for any special attention.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One thing you'll also notice, as you continue to lose fat and build up your triceps, as well, you'll see more separation, which will make your delts look more impressive. Like Frank said, I don't think they're undersized by any means. Just keep up the good form, keep going and if anything, make sure you're keeping up with your rear delts, too (seated, bent-over rear delt DB side lateral raises are my favorite).

joeblow1

Awards
As you get leaner the muscle separation will increase. If you want to give extra attention to your delts do lateral, front, rear raises in one set. Like 20 reps of each for 3 sets then do your presses. This will pre exhaust your delts and cause them to grow more. Then at the end do lateral raises again. Pick the heaviest weight you can do for 10 reps then do drop sets for as many reps as possible on each set of dumbells. I will warn you do not plan to lift your arms above your head the rest of the day.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
so you are only doing 3 exercises????? why dont you add in some rear delt moves.. try 3-4 sets

DB PRESS
Lateral
Front
BEnt over laterals
REar pec deck/shrugs

survey

Awards
All good advice. I do need to add some rear delt movements and I definately am going to try to progress in weight. Thanks guys.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Like I said, hit this thread when you are SOHP'ng 225, and I bet you wont have small delts(as long as calories have been there, along the way)..lol

All this other stuff is secondary, to getting ****ing strong.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For most people I think front shoulder raises do more harm than good. The anterior delts are generally over developed in recreational weight lifters, and working them will only result in additional misbalances at the shoulder joint.

Now, are you doing your presses correctly? Most people don't, and they look like some sort of standing incline press without a correct lockout and with an over arched back.

Observe:

http://www.cathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=90

Notice he engages his glutes and abs to keep his torso upright. The elbows are facing forward, there is no rear ward lean, and the bar finishes inline with the spine (i.e.: the elbows are align with or slightly behind the ears).

Br

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
All good advice. I do need to add some rear delt movements and I definately am going to try to progress in weight. Thanks guys.
Friend of mine told me about this lift for rear delts and I've never done another that hit them like this.

It's safer on a smith machine but you can do it w/o. Take a barbell with light or no weight just to get the form down. While standing in front of a mirror, press the barbell up behind your head. Lower the barbell just to the point that it disappears behind your head, and repeat. I love them. Don't go any further down than the point that the barbell disappears behind your head.

survey

Awards
Friend of mine told me about this lift for rear delts and I've never done another that hit them like this.

It's safer on a smith machine but you can do it w/o. Take a barbell with light or no weight just to get the form down. While standing in front of a mirror, press the barbell up behind your head. Lower the barbell just to the point that it disappears behind your head, and repeat. I love them. Don't go any further down than the point that the barbell disappears behind your head.
So its a behind the neck bb press, but you dont touch the bar to your neck in the negative?

survey

Awards
For most people I think front shoulder raises do more harm than good. The anterior delts are generally over developed in recreational weight lifters, and working them will only result in additional misbalances at the shoulder joint.

Now, are you doing your presses correctly? Most people don't, and they look like some sort of standing incline press without a correct lockout and with an over arched back.

Observe:

Notice he engages his glutes and abs to keep his torso upright. The elbows are facing forward, there is no rear ward lean, and the bar finishes inline with the spine (i.e.: the elbows are align with or slightly behind the ears).

Br
Ok! Thats a big help. I'll work on my form tomorrow using this as an example. Thanks

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
I dedicate an entire workout to delts. Anterior posterior and medial, then go right into traps when finished. I use a machine for medial and anterior and dumbells for posterior. I stayed away from overhead press until I built them up as I was afraid of a shoulder injury might occur. I really don't feel there is any harm in using machines for delts as long as you work all three muscles evenly.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
So its a behind the neck bb press, but you dont touch the bar to your neck in the negative?
Right, but you don't risk the injury because you don't go down further than just the top of your head. Or so according to said friend.

DkGreek

DkGreek

Awards
  • Established
Proper standing military presses will do the trick, old chap.:cool3:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Behind the neck bb presses don't activate the rear delt any better than normal presses. And actually, from what little scientific data I've seen on the matter, it actually puts more pressure on the anterior delt by stretching. Which can be either good or bad; but either way don't do BTN presses for your rear delts.

Do face pulls, rear delt rows and flies, etc.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Behind the neck bb presses don't activate the rear delt any better than normal presses. And actually, from what little scientific data I've seen on the matter, it actually puts more pressure on the anterior delt by stretching. Which can be either good or bad; but either way don't do BTN presses for your rear delts.

Do face pulls, rear delt rows and flies, etc.
^^^ Agreed.

Behind the neck presses or half presses as you've described, put the shoulder in a compromised position such that surpaspinatus and bieceps tendon impingement is occurring.

Br

tenrep

Awards
CHeck your form,,, see alot of jamokes at gym doing laterls complety wrong and not even working their delts.. whats your routine???
Very true I see them done wrong way more that I see them done right

Roniboney

Awards
you need to work your rear delts and then do what your still doing.Lots of pressing man.You'll get there.Try out a higher than usual rep range

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established

Observe:

Br
This video is very helpful. i and most everyone i see don't adhere to this form in the gym. i'll be working on it.