Shoulders Lifts for Injured Shoulder (On cycle dont want to waste!)

TheMaharaja

Awards
My right shoulder is just giving me some problem - i feel pain when I work out my shoulder on presses. My right shoulder is noticeably weaker than my left. Sometimes, it hurts a little bit outside the gym/any lifting. I did snatch grip deadlifts and other back exercises, and my shoulder didnt hurt at all. It seems the problem comes with presses.

Im ending my third week, and am beginning to make size gains so I dont want to put this to waste, but of course, i dont want to injure my shoulder and be out for the next few months.

Should I stick to the various raises and machine presses? Thanks for any help.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
I too deal with a shoulder pain. I've stuck to exercises that don't aggravate it. In time my shoulder has gotten stronger and I've been able to move on to exercises that had previously hurt my shoulder. I don't think that sticking to machine presses with a lighter weight for the time being will hinder any gains, it didn't in my case. You can still get a good workout by isolating the different muscles in your shoulder and shying away from the exercises that work the entire shoulder at once. Just give it time to heal and don't do compound movements that could possibly aggravate it.

Roniboney

Awards
I have shoulder problems when I do too many pressing movements.Maybe try some wide grip upright rows for your delts and the obvious bunch of lateral and front raises.Stay away from dips as I've found they really stress the shoulder.If you can do some light presses then do them just to get some blood into your shoulder.

This last one is a funny one but I'd suggest you lower your saturated fat intake as that can help to inflame and prolong inflammation.Obviously warm-up is a must for your shoulder now so make sure to use bands and rotational movements to help with it.

Good luck on your cycle man

TheMaharaja

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I was really bummed up about my cycle being a partial waste but looks like I can still make good gains. Interesting note about the fat!

So far Im thinking:
Front Raises (DB and/or plate)
Lateral
Reverse
Side Cable Raises
Shoulder Press Machine

For traps:
Neck harness raises
Shoulder Shrugs
Also, I generally separate my trap/delt workouts, but maybe Ill combine them now.

TheMaharaja

Awards
I have shoulder problems when I do too many pressing movements.Maybe try some wide grip upright rows for your delts and the obvious bunch of lateral and front raises.Stay away from dips as I've found they really stress the shoulder.If you can do some light presses then do them just to get some blood into your shoulder.
Yeah, I just remembered that my shoulder pain intensified after doing wide/chest dips. Its unfortunate, but I will be dropping this exercise.. :(

Yeah, Ill be doing light presses, I guess I just wont try to push the envelope.

Jethro52185

Jethro52185

Awards
Thanks for the advice. I was really bummed up about my cycle being a partial waste but looks like I can still make good gains. Interesting note about the fat!

So far Im thinking:
Front Raises (DB and/or plate)
Lateral
Reverse
Side Cable Raises
Shoulder Press Machine

For traps:
Neck harness raises
Shoulder Shrugs
Also, I generally separate my trap/delt workouts, but maybe Ill combine them now.
Yeah I would combine those two exercises as your shoulders will already be warmed up by the time you get around to doing traps.

Roniboney

Awards
Yeah, I just remembered that my shoulder pain intensified after doing wide/chest dips. Its unfortunate, but I will be dropping this exercise.. :(

Yeah, Ill be doing light presses, I guess I just wont try to push the envelope.
Sorry bro but it happened to me after doing Dips.If I throw Dips into my routine now I really have to drop an exercise out for them.The problem is I always going slightly below parallel and it puts a lot of strain on the scapula.

I subbed in CG bench Press for the tricep benefits of it or if as you said you were doing it for lower chest I'd do higher rep sets of a decline dumbbell press or barbell press.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You really should focus on fixing the imbalance that you have which is causing your pain. To do this, you need to really increase the amount of rear delt/mid-trap work and toss out the front raises.

What kind of pre-hab/warm-up do you do prior to training?

Roniboney

Awards
You really should focus on fixing the imbalance that you have which is causing your pain. To do this, you need to really increase the amount of rear delt/mid-trap work and toss out the front raises.

This is an excellent point that I should have included in my post.There should always be some rear delt work in any routine.If you've heard of the HodgeTwins who have a youtube channel called twin muscle workout they saw improvements in shoulder problems after including rear delt work(they preach a lot of broscience but all in all they have great advice)

TheMaharaja

Awards
This is an excellent point that I should have included in my post.There should always be some rear delt work in any routine.If you've heard of the HodgeTwins who have a youtube channel called twin muscle workout they saw improvements in shoulder problems after including rear delt work(they preach a lot of broscience but all in all they have great advice)
I will check them out, thanks.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
My shoulders ached when I was a kid and they are def lagging.
I will try these exercises and see how things go.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I get a deep burning pain in my right shoulder when doing incline bench and any shoulder presses. FIVE MRIs later and nothing wrong... My doctor told me to just push thru the pain and I have been for 2 years now.

TheMaharaja

Awards
I get a deep burning pain in my right shoulder when doing incline bench and any shoulder presses. FIVE MRIs later and nothing wrong... My doctor told me to just push thru the pain and I have been for 2 years now.
Damn, that's nuts. I should get this checked out.

joeblow1

Awards
My right shoulder is just giving me some problem - i feel pain when I work out my shoulder on presses. My right shoulder is noticeably weaker than my left. Sometimes, it hurts a little bit outside the gym/any lifting. I did snatch grip deadlifts and other back exercises, and my shoulder didnt hurt at all. It seems the problem comes with presses.

Im ending my third week, and am beginning to make size gains so I dont want to put this to waste, but of course, i dont want to injure my shoulder and be out for the next few months.

Should I stick to the various raises and machine presses? Thanks for any help.
You need to be doing active recovery work. A injured muscle needs blood flow to speed up recovery and promote healing. You have to work it without aggravating it further. Do you own a set of bands? If not buy some they are an important weapon for any lifter regardless of your choosen sport. The are effective in building strength and injury prevention and recovery. To fix a shoulder issue do reverse band benching for a couple sets of 100 reps. The weight a your chest should be about zero. If you own light bands than attach them to top of power rack and the bar. Put about 65 lbs on bar so a 10 on each side. This will flush the shoulders with blood and speed recovery. Do this before and after you bench workouts. Like 2 sets of 100. When you do pressing movements keep it ultra light to avoid further injury. In a couple weeks you should be good to start adding more weight slowly. Also ice it and use a tennis ball for smr and stretch. In the future do prehab work.

TheMaharaja

Awards
Interesting, Ill look up the exercises and equipment, Joeblow. thanks.

The Cold

Awards
Try self myofascial release using a lacrosse or tennis ball. Place the ball between the wall and your shoulder and slowly roll the ball around your shoulder while pressing with your bodyweight. When you find areas that are sensitive hold the position and increase presssure, hold for 30 seconds. It will release the trigger point and break up any adhesions and soon you will be pressing pain free.

TheMaharaja

Awards
Try self myofascial release using a lacrosse or tennis ball. Place the ball between the wall and your shoulder and slowly roll the ball around your shoulder while pressing with your bodyweight. When you find areas that are sensitive hold the position and increase presssure, hold for 30 seconds. It will release the trigger point and break up any adhesions and soon you will be pressing pain free.
Awesome, thanks.

TheMaharaja

Awards
I checked out the hodgetwins in their shoulder video. The dude on the left is clearly high with cotton mouth. Informative and entertaining though.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

^^^ This

Further... Considering connective tissue heals at a much slower rate than muscle tissue; its more than likely the issue you feel in your shoulder is tendinous in nature (connective tissue); and, AAS increases muscle recovery and strength, but does little to nothing for connective tissue repair, its likely that you will only exaggerate the issue by continuing to train pushing movements while on a cycle.

Probably not what you are looking to hear, but.....................

Best advice is to check your ego at the door (easier said than done!) - stop your cycle now before you create more muscle:tendon strength imbalances, rehab/let the shoulder heal, strengthen the weak muscles at the joint (external rotators, mid traps/rhomboids, lower traps), and then go back to heavy training with AAS.

Br