When doing multiple body parts in a single workout

jmoney02

Awards
Is it more effective to finish one body part and then work the other(s) or alternate exercises for the different muscle groups?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends what you're going for. If aiming for strength, I would do them one at a time, for instance, 5x5 workout plan. Helps replenish glycogen stores and phosphocreatine in muscles between lifts to stay strong.

If aiming for more of a mass driven style, supersetting always seems to take the prize here. Like jumping straight into back from chest, tri's from bi's, shoulders from legs, etc etc.

You can find very detailed articles about both styles in the RSS feed, on T Nation, Muscular Development, etc etc.

liftsalot

Awards
It depends what you're going for. If aiming for strength, I would do them one at a time, for instance, 5x5 workout plan. Helps replenish glycogen stores and phosphocreatine in muscles between lifts to stay strong.

If aiming for more of a mass driven style, supersetting always seems to take the prize here. Like jumping straight into back from chest, tri's from bi's, shoulders from legs, etc etc.

You can find very detailed articles about both styles in the RSS feed, on T Nation, Muscular Development, etc etc.

So do you mean like do all your chest excersises first then do all your tris after? Thats how i do mine and i always wondered if it was better to bounce back and forth. Like go chest,tris,chest,tris. I usally do about 4 sets of 4 excersises per group ive been thinking of going heavier and just go to 5x5. My biggest downfall i have right now is that i can only work out about 3 days a week and at least one of those days is working out from home cause i have a 2 month old son now.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
I don't work out tri's at all, it's an isolation move usually and I don't do those - only compound moves. However, I DO work Chest / Shoulders and I've found, for mass - the best way is to alternate Chest / Shoulders / Chest / Shoulders ...

(every one of those moves hits tri's too)

So I will do my flat bench - then move to military presses on Mr. Smith - then lower the bench for inclines - then into dumbbell flies - then into declines ...

If you only have three days a week to work out - you might want to concentrate on simply compound moves. I mean - it depends on what your goals are - if you are going for competitive BB then you'll have to do isolation moves.