When doing multiple body parts in a single workout

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

When doing multiple body parts in a single workout

Is it more effective to finish one body part and then work the other(s) or alternate exercises for the different muscle groups?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.

It depends what you're going for. If aiming for strength, I would do them one at a time, for instance, 5x5 workout plan. Helps replenish glycogen stores and phosphocreatine in muscles between lifts to stay strong.

If aiming for more of a mass driven style, supersetting always seems to take the prize here. Like jumping straight into back from chest, tri's from bi's, shoulders from legs, etc etc.

You can find very detailed articles about both styles in the RSS feed, on T Nation, Muscular Development, etc etc.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    It depends what you're going for. If aiming for strength, I would do them one at a time, for instance, 5x5 workout plan. Helps replenish glycogen stores and phosphocreatine in muscles between lifts to stay strong.

If aiming for more of a mass driven style, supersetting always seems to take the prize here. Like jumping straight into back from chest, tri's from bi's, shoulders from legs, etc etc.

You can find very detailed articles about both styles in the RSS feed, on T Nation, Muscular Development, etc etc.

So do you mean like do all your chest excersises first then do all your tris after? Thats how i do mine and i always wondered if it was better to bounce back and forth. Like go chest,tris,chest,tris. I usally do about 4 sets of 4 excersises per group ive been thinking of going heavier and just go to 5x5. My biggest downfall i have right now is that i can only work out about 3 days a week and at least one of those days is working out from home cause i have a 2 month old son now.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.

I don't work out tri's at all, it's an isolation move usually and I don't do those - only compound moves. However, I DO work Chest / Shoulders and I've found, for mass - the best way is to alternate Chest / Shoulders / Chest / Shoulders ...

(every one of those moves hits tri's too)

So I will do my flat bench - then move to military presses on Mr. Smith - then lower the bench for inclines - then into dumbbell flies - then into declines ...

If you only have three days a week to work out - you might want to concentrate on simply compound moves. I mean - it depends on what your goals are - if you are going for competitive BB then you'll have to do isolation moves.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Splitting body parts?
    By cubical in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM
  2. need some training advice with asymmetrical body parts.
    By Cellardude in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 05:09 AM
  3. Lagging body parts/IGF
    By christopher in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM
  4. Energy expenditure for smaller body parts
    By Snuggles in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2006, 11:11 PM