2 workouts a day

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Working out 2 times in a day...say 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Is it worth the extra work, or pointless for achieving results?!

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I do it... But its usually split cardio and lifting, but not always. If I lift twice, it will be something like che.st in the morning and arms in the evening or abs in the evening. If I just had time to do a light chest work out, I might hit it again, but usually not the same body part twice in a day

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Only pre-competition. Light in the morning, one body part. Heavy in the afternoon, a complimentary body part. I have a gym in my apartment complex so it works well for the AM stuff.

Its a huge time commitment but if youre willing and able then go for it.

rynie27

Awards
I like to do fasted cardio in the morning and weights in the evening. Usually find that I'm pretty drained whe it comes time tonlift heavy though:(

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Thanks guys, I think I want to try it, but only maybe 1 or 2 times a week. I don't want to exert myself too much. Just trying to get a jump start on my fitness.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I do two a days... usually a couple days a week. I like to lift in the morning and my girlfriend isnt a morning person but prefers I come to the gym with her so I usually get sucked in to going for cardio in the afternoon... not exactly my thing but usually by the time I get in the car I'm pleased with myself for wanting to workout a second time in one day. Especially since in the past, I've done 3 workouts a week and now I'm doing 5 days a week lifting with some days going a second time... I must be losing it ha.

Also, I was reading some of the transformation pages on a website not long ago and quite a few of the guys who got pretty cut in a 3-6 month period were doing weights in the morning and cardio at night. For me... I feel like I am barely taking in enough calories to offset my one workout in the morning let alone cover another 300-600 doing cardio, but we'll see how my body responds.

Good luck!

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
My rule is 60-90 min/day, max. Doesn't matter how many separate sessions I do to get there.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I do two a days... usually a couple days a week. I like to lift in the morning and my girlfriend isnt a morning person but prefers I come to the gym with her so I usually get sucked in to going for cardio in the afternoon... not exactly my thing but usually by the time I get in the car I'm pleased with myself for wanting to workout a second time in one day. Especially since in the past, I've done 3 workouts a week and now I'm doing 5 days a week lifting with some days going a second time... I must be losing it ha.

Also, I was reading some of the transformation pages on a website not long ago and quite a few of the guys who got pretty cut in a 3-6 month period were doing weights in the morning and cardio at night. For me... I feel like I am barely taking in enough calories to offset my one workout in the morning let alone cover another 300-600 doing cardio, but we'll see how my body responds.

Good luck!
With 3 day a week work outs did you see any results?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
With 3 day a week work outs did you see any results?
I took quite awhile off working out a few years ago and when I came back in to it I was doing 3 days a week full body workouts that we pretty intense and i would vary rep ranges (mon: 6-8, tue: 10-12, and wed: 15) and to be honest it stripped fat off me like crazy. I lost 20 lbs in a month. Somedays I would take rests between exercises and somedays I would superset them and somedays I would just go crazy and do them in a circuit... but it definitely did the trick wanting to lean out.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I took quite awhile off working out a few years ago and when I came back in to it I was doing 3 days a week full body workouts that we pretty intense and i would vary rep ranges (mon: 6-8, tue: 10-12, and wed: 15) and to be honest it stripped fat off me like crazy. I lost 20 lbs in a month. Somedays I would take rests between exercises and somedays I would superset them and somedays I would just go crazy and do them in a circuit... but it definitely did the trick wanting to lean out.
I do 3 a week as well...

Legs/Shoulders

Chest/Triceps

Back/Biceps

Nice time saver and can get cardio in on my off days.

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Flawed...I'm not a morning person either! I tend to end up working out in the evening as well, thats good you go with your girlfriend. My boyfriend and I work out together when we have time and it's really motivating, at least for me :) I heard supersets are great. You think those are better than circuits, or about the same? I was thinking of making a plan where I did 3 mins of strength, 2 minutes cardio (like jumping jacks), and 1 minute abs. Do same exercises 2 times, then do another circuit. WOrkouts ended up being a little more than 20. But I still feel like I need to do extra cardio. Maybe I'm just trying to see results quicker.

John...I like that rule. Sometimes I only have time for 20 minute workouts, so it would be nice to be able to do a 20 minute on in the morning, and do some more later on the days I have time.

Aaron...how many days do you do cardio, on all of your off days or just a few?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Flawed...I'm not a morning person either! I tend to end up working out in the evening as well, thats good you go with your girlfriend. My boyfriend and I work out together when we have time and it's really motivating, at least for me :) I heard supersets are great. You think those are better than circuits, or about the same? I was thinking of making a plan where I did 3 mins of strength, 2 minutes cardio (like jumping jacks), and 1 minute abs. Do same exercises 2 times, then do another circuit. WOrkouts ended up being a little more than 20. But I still feel like I need to do extra cardio. Maybe I'm just trying to see results quicker.

John...I like that rule. Sometimes I only have time for 20 minute workouts, so it would be nice to be able to do a 20 minute on in the morning, and do some more later on the days I have time.

Aaron...how many days do you do cardio, on all of your off days or just a few?
When ever I feel like it...
Cardio to me is a brisk 45 to 1 hour walk thats it and I can do that maybe 3 nights a week.

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Sounds easy enough, I prefer to jog. I start coaching girls on the run at my school where I work in mid feb, so it will be easy for me to get a little jog in at least 2 times a week.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sounds easy enough, I prefer to jog. I start coaching girls on the run at my school where I work in mid feb, so it will be easy for me to get a little jog in at least 2 times a week.
Nice...
Above all else have fun.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
Working out 2 times in a day...say 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening. Is it worth the extra work, or pointless for achieving results?!
I do it occasionally when I get a day off work like a vacation day or holiday or something, but not the whole week.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
One of the gym locations near work has a pool so I do cardio after work strictly for enjoyment on off days.

I know powerlifters who go in the AM and squat for 45min, then go home, eat eat eat, and return later for deadlifts. Not my style, just giving another example.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
when i used to 2 a days and when i put clients on it i would not just cut my volume in half, i would cut it in 1/3. but then each session was more intense. the only time i would do 2 a days for more volume was for distance runners. and even then i found that the same volume work or just over what 1 a day could do, 2 a days did better and IMO it was the increased intensity of each workout or increased quality.

but be careful. you are cutting down on the recovery period. so be sure to eat enough and sleep enough to help with the shortened recovery.

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
One of the gym locations near work has a pool so I do cardio after work strictly for enjoyment on off days.

I know powerlifters who go in the AM and squat for 45min, then go home, eat eat eat, and return later for deadlifts. Not my style, just giving another example.
I am not a powerlifter. I'm just a woman trying to lose weight and tone up! I want to worker smarter not harder. If doing double is pointless for my goals, then I'm not going to do it!

when i used to 2 a days and when i put clients on it i would not just cut my volume in half, i would cut it in 1/3. but then each session was more intense. the only time i would do 2 a days for more volume was for distance runners. and even then i found that the same volume work or just over what 1 a day could do, 2 a days did better and IMO it was the increased intensity of each workout or increased quality.

but be careful. you are cutting down on the recovery period. so be sure to eat enough and sleep enough to help with the shortened recovery.
Thanks for the tips! Don't worry I'm not doing it, I was just curious as to what people thought about it. My sleeping time is already limited because I'm at 530 or earlier every day. So if I do 2 a day, it will be split, and prolly only when I don't have to work :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
1 work out a day is good.
If doin weights an cardio just fit it in.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Maybe check out Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video. My girlfriend has that and its a lot like the circuit you just explained. I looked up transformations for my gf on the forum and there were some pretty impressive ones just from that easy workout

banthony22

banthony22

Awards
Maybe check out Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video. My girlfriend has that and its a lot like the circuit you just explained. I looked up transformations for my gf on the forum and there were some pretty impressive ones just from that easy workout
I love jillian michaels, I have prolly 3 or 4 of her workout videos. I will do those 2 times a week, but I'm trying to learn my own ways to workout without following a video. Her workouts are pretty hardcore though and I will prolly always do them!

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I love jillian michaels, I have prolly 3 or 4 of her workout videos. I will do those 2 times a week, but I'm trying to learn my own ways to workout without following a video. Her workouts are pretty hardcore though and I will prolly always do them!
I love her too... mostly because I think shes sexy! hahahah! Sexy in a ill kick you ass kind of way

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't right now but have many times. Some of the best shapes of my life were when I was doing 2 a days. Usually run, swim, obstacle course or what not in the am and lift in the afternoon/evening. Would usually do 2 a days about 3 times a week. Ensuring you get some good rest time and nutrition play a big factor in doing it successfully. I found I had to eat more than usual but still leaned out well.