3 Day split but need cardio

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Answers

3 Day split but need cardio

Hello,
    Looking for general advice.
    I like to do about 30-50 minutes of elliptical work including just starting HIIT. About 5x a week with 3x being HIIT.
    Need to help with cutting

But, I also want to do a 3day split for lifting weights.

I am assuming you need to ploy through the workout then do the elliptical?

I have a hard time imaging doing HIIT for 20-30 minutes, than have to lift.

Or, is it not even advisable to do both together. I wish I could do HIIT 4 days a week and train on the other 3, but than I have no days off.

Advice?

2. Registered User
    Answers

sounds like you favour cardio style training vs lifting weights? Why dont you try look at things like crossfit or circuit training style routines, where the primary focus is cardio and fitness with muscle building being more of by product due to all the weighted/bodyweight exercises that are in the mix...
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Answers

I would but I really want to put some mass on chest and arms in particular and I know I really need heavy lifting/decreased reps to get it done.

Hard to do that with all that cardio in the same day.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    I would but I really want to put some mass on chest and arms in particular and I know I really need heavy lifting/decreased reps to get it done.

Hard to do that with all that cardio in the same day.
    Jump on a full body routine like 5x5 or SS Mon/Wed/fri and HIIT on the off days?....
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Answers

I was thinking about that. Got nervous with getting fatigued at the end of a full body workout, but that may be a good option.

I think because I am shooting for 5 reps, I bet it will really push me to add some weight to what I am doing.

I like it.

I'll try:
    1. Full body 3x a week with a little cardio in warm up and down.
    2. HIIT on alternate days

I'm still pretty new and definitely have not really pushed myself, so I bet I could thrive for awhile still doing full body workouts.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

A 3xweek full body routine with HIIT on off days wont burn u out, provided your diets all good and your sleeping but thats the case with any program. doing something like this if your fairly new will maximise fast strength gains and muscle mass while keeping you lean, just watch your cardio on your training days, you may start feeling burnt out doing fullbody 3 x a week plus HIIT on off days as well as mild cardio, i would just stick to this HIIT and reduce your calorie intake, you wil get awsome results that way. Check out Lots Of Programs thread for some fullbody training ideas.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Weight-training 3x/week

HIIT 3x/week

1 day off

Hit extra elliptical work after your lifting sessions if you really feel like doing it. If you lift hard enough, your HR will get up and you'll get enough out of them that you won't need more cardio on those days.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for guidance.

One more comment question.

I am getting conflicting advice about using creatine when cutting. I understand it fills muscles, and supposedly will not contribute to subcutaneous fat swelling. I also understand it shouldn't be exclusively about the weight number, as opposed to the actual body fat%.

Of course, creatine will cause weight gain. But, if trying to lose belly fat and maybe trying to get sculpted abs (a little bit), should I be starting creatine, and accept the 2-3 pounds of eight gain, or wait until cutting is done and start it with bulking?

What do you think?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Do you use creatine regularly right now?

If you do, you should know how your body reacts to it. If for some reason you're someone who bloats from monohydrate/creapure, you could look at something like creatine nitrate or MCC.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  158 lbs.
    Answers

I think I did have some digestive upset on it.
    I was using the Kre-alkalyn for awhile and I did seem to tolerate it a lot easier. I stopped it awhile ago when I started cutting.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alewisdvm View Post
    I think I did have some digestive upset on it.
    I was using the Kre-alkalyn for awhile and I did seem to tolerate it a lot easier. I stopped it awhile ago when I started cutting.
    If you felt a bloat or any issues, I'd recommend trying one of the other varieties of it. No real reason to stay away from creatine, though .
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. 3day split to 4day split for fat loss?
    By SamuraiSid in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 12:27 AM