best lift

jhern216

jhern216

Awards
  • Established
Ok so me and my friend were arguing which of the two is better in terms of strength, size, and explosiveness: squat or deadlift. We were debating for a good hour or so and I chose deadlifts and he was adamant squats were better. Which do you all think is better or is it like comparing apples to oranges?

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I think the Adductor Machine is probably the most crucial lift.

Adductor-Machine.jpg

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
you can train any lift or movement to be explosive. ill go with squats here, i think everything is contracted except your triceps. and with deadlifting, you squat the weight off the ground till your knees than you pull, so ill go w squats

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlift

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Squats-> Clean to Press -> Deadlifts

Thats my opinion i don't think there is anything superior to squats and i love clean to presses cause they work so many muscles.

I think a better test of strength is a deadlift since its either you get it off the ground and lock it out or you don't and there are ways to cheat on squats, but overall best lift is squats imo.

B

bluesfan4eva

Awards
i think squats for sure. squats rule either way!!!!!! :)

B

bluesfan4eva

Awards
basically anything that works my legs I love. i think squats require better form though. i see so many people doing squats not even close to parallel and bragging about their 500lb lift. if they put 300lbs on there and do a below parallel squat they cant even lift it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok so me and my friend were arguing which of the two is better in terms of strength, size, and explosiveness: squat or deadlift. We were debating for a good hour or so and I chose deadlifts and he was adamant squats were better. Which do you all think is better or is it like comparing apples to oranges?
It's really hard for me to imagine the squat being the best for explosiveness between the two ... I think if you did 1.5 reps it might get you somewhere, or band work, but I think deadlift trumps it on that front. Strength and size, I don't know - it might depend on which one you can do more with. It might be a numbers game. But I would wager squat is the better mass builder, while the two are just too different to compare in terms of strength gains.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
* Deadlifts incorporate the arms.. Squats do not
* You can cheat fairly easily with the squat (lots of people do by reducing the depth of the squat) but it is pretty hard to cheat at a deadlift.

Deadlift works the spinal erectors, hamstrings, glutes, forearms, traps, biceps, quads, core and even the deltoids are involved in the lift. The only way the squat could compete with the deadlift would be if you were comparing it the overhead squat but in order to do this variation of the work one would need to develop coordination, balance and flexibility in order to use any significant amount of weight. The deadlift is just so straight forward.. you can either lift it or your cant. Very little room to cheat, works more muscle groups and is fairly easy to do without having to practice over and over and over again with a broom stick (like you would if practicing for a OH squat)

or in otherwords DEADLIFT FTW!!!!

T

The Cold

Awards
Box squats are the best for strength gains, also they are very hard to cheat on. If you can box squat a weight it is pretty damn legit.

M

mh625

Awards
Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the deadlift the only push and pull lift there is. I guess you could say cleans is this also but can't powerclean anything without deadlifting it first.

J

joeblow1

Awards
The 2 lifts are very similar in terms of muscle groups used. For strength and size id have to go with squats. Im term of explosiveness id give the deadlift the slight advantage. The deadlift is the great equalizer there is no way to cheat, you either pick it up or you dont. Its a concentric only lift and if you cant explode from a dead stop you wont lift it

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Deads and it ain't close. Athletics is mostly posterior chain... That's deads. The guys that care more about squats in sports are the guys that pull hamstrings. The guys that dead are the guys that can jump out the building.
As far as adding muscle....which involves more muscles? Question answered.
The obsession with squats, hill runs... And a ton of quad dominant exs is what has caused the huge increase in hammy pulls and tears, lower back strains and pulls, groin pulls, etc... It's an in-natural imbalance for the quads to be so much stronger than the hammys and erectors.

Peace.

T

The Cold

Awards
Box squats are hamstring and hip dominant. For building explosive power, they are unmatched. Want to bulletproof your hams? BOX SQUAT! Box squatting will even blow up your deadlift. Combine with deads and good mornings for maximum strength.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Box squats are hamstring and hip dominant. For building explosive power, they are unmatched. Want to bulletproof your hams? BOX SQUAT! Box squatting will even blow up your deadlift. Combine with deads and good mornings for maximum strength.
Fully agreed. No idea why dunhill equates all squatting as being quad dominant when box squats most certainly murder the hams and the whole of the posterior chain.

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Fully agreed. No idea why dunhill equates all squatting as being quad dominant when box squats most certainly murder the hams and the whole of the posterior chain.
First I was talking about BB squats but deads work the posterior chain much more than box squats... Or any kind of squat. It is just not possible to recruit the hips, hams, glutes and erectors as much with a squat as it is with a dead.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First I was talking about BB squats but deads work the posterior chain much more than box squats... Or any kind of squat. It is just not possible to recruit the hips, hams, glutes and erectors as much with a squat as it is with a dead.
Whatever you may qualify as "recruiting," it is most certainly possible to work some of those muscles harder with the squat than with the deadlift.
You got me! =p

dunhill225

dunhill225

Awards
Whatever you may qualify as "recruiting," it is most certainly possible to work some of those muscles harder with the squat than with the deadlift.

You got me! =p
They can be worked but they can't be worked harder. One is a pure posterior chain ex and the other is a quad and hip ex... Sorry but you can't change the mechanics...

This thread is about what's the best ex... I don't think its close... You can have your opinion.

cptwatson

cptwatson

Awards
This is a good one. I love both squats and deadlifts. But my preference is deadlifts. I seem to get more of a full body blast with deads.
Call me Ishmael.....