size gains

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
I have been lifting for 2 years now and as of the last year or so I have really been sticking to compound movements to gain size. My buddy swears by a routine that he has used in the past and I want to know ur thoughts on it. Basically there is no amount of reps that you are suppose to accomplish all you really focus on is the time frame of the sets. He says its best for 5 sec neg and 5 sec positive so its extremely slow if you can continue in that fashion for 45 to 60 seconds each set it leads to greater hypertrophy, which makes since and it does hurt like hell especially squats. Has anyone tried this method for size gains if so what did you see from the program?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The eccentric yes, but the concentric doesn't need to be done that slow. Also, this does not apply to squats of deadlifts.

What he is describing is what is known as TUT.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
So it is intended to be used as a 3-1-X tempo and the required time under tension or "tut" would be from 40 to 60 seconds any more would be endurance and any less would be strength and power? I however don't know why deads and squats wouldn't fall under the same rule? Also it states that the reps aren't important so is it best to stick with a 3-1-X tempo so that 40 to 60 second range would be 10 to 12 reps or would 6 reps at the same time yield the same results for hypertrophy

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it would be super harsh on your joints

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I'll add that in all the research I have done and films I've watched I have yet to see any kind of accomplished bodybuilder Rep that slow

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Deads and squats would have a high risk for injury. This is not the same but similar training style as DC. I play around with TUT sometimes at the end of my work out, mostly with abs arms and calves. I have also done DC training and loved it. I'd highly recomend doing the deloading phase. It's there for a reason skipping it is not a great idea. Trust me.

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
Deads and squats would have a high risk for injury. This is not the same but similar training style as DC. I play around with TUT sometimes at the end of my work out, mostly with abs arms and calves. I have also done DC training and loved it. I'd highly recomend doing the deloading phase. It's there for a reason skipping it is not a great idea. Trust me.
What about while on anabolics I really like the structure of this program with a slow neg and explosive positive and 2 second contraction. Tons of volume to get those deep fibers for some serious mass!!! Would one still be strictly limited to 4 weeks followed by at least a 2 week deloading phase? I would hate to be 4 weeks in and have to back off wit only 2 or 3 weeks left have you had experiance in this situation? Plus the pump is amazing reminded me of arnolds interview where he talked about all day c*ming lol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about while on anabolics I really like the structure of this program with a slow neg and explosive positive and 2 second contraction. Tons of volume to get those deep fibers for some serious mass!!! Would one still be strictly limited to 4 weeks followed by at least a 2 week deloading phase? I would hate to be 4 weeks in and have to back off wit only 2 or 3 weeks left have you had experiance in this situation? Plus the pump is amazing reminded me of arnolds interview where he talked about all day c*ming lol.
At most, you'd need to deload for a week every 6-8 weeks. Deloading is primarily a PL'ing principle and really doesn't apply to BB'ing because the percentages are much lower.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty sure part of the coast phase in DC is to both give your psyche a break from the intensity as well as give your body time off from extreme stretches - I remember reading that doing the stretches loses its effectiveness after 8-12 weeks. I do know for a fact that it's absolute strict policy to not do any extreme stretching during a coast. And coasting does not necessarily equate to a deload - it's just a "do something else" thing, to be frank. While I probably wouldn't max every lifting day on a coast, anything else is good to go.