Good Core WOrkout.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
I am trying to get some good exercises that i feel in the ab area but are not bad for the back like crunches.

So far i am using planks and renegade rows. I also am trying to figure out the ab coaster but i am not feeling that exercise.

Any tips or recommendations for some good core exercises?

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
side planks
swiss ball crunches
standing cable/band crunch
overhead stuff, even unilateral stuff
bent press
windmills
squats, and all its variants
dragon flags

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
side planks
swiss ball crunches
bent press
windmills
dragon flags
I'd just like to point out, I don't have a strong core yet, but last time I did overhead presses my abs were sore.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
side planks
swiss ball crunches
bent press
windmills
dragon flags
Are Swiss ball crunches bad for the back? Compared to regular crunches.

I am looking to increase core strength to help with my other movements.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
In addition to what's already been said, you could try doing your normal lifts one side at a time. Bent rows, shoulder press, dumbbell power cleans, etc.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are Swiss ball crunches bad for the back? Compared to regular crunches.

I am looking to increase core strength to help with my other movements.
How are crunches bad for the back?

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
when you crunch your stressing your back at its weakest point. Can lead to herniated discs, which is no fun.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
when you crunch your stressing your back at its weakest point. Can lead to herniated discs, which is no fun.
Only if you use terrible form and your lower back is incredibly weak. The lower back is also part of the "core" and should be trained just as much.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
I am a firm believer that squats and Romanian deadlifts should give you all the "core" workout you'll ever need... The only mid-section specific exercise I do is the broom stick twist.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a firm believer that squats and Romanian deadlifts should give you all the "core" workout you'll ever need... The only mid-section specific exercise I do is the broom stick twist.
This is not true if you want to consistently improve your squat and pull.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
This is not true if you want to consistently improve your squat and pull.
What do you mean by "pull"? As in any pulling exercise? I'm actually curious about this. I completely understand how much of a full body exercise squats are, but I have a hard time seeing physiologically how the hang up with squat improvement could be abdominal or lower back muscles. At most, it would seem to me that it could be a safety hazard. For squat form though, any dipping forward is usually a result of my legs giving out, not my mid-section giving out. Thoughts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you mean by "pull"? As in any pulling exercise? I'm actually curious about this. I completely understand how much of a full body exercise squats are, but I have a hard time seeing physiologically how the hang up with squat improvement could be abdominal or lower back muscles. At most, it would seem to me that it could be a safety hazard. For squat form though, any dipping forward is usually a result of my legs giving out, not my mid-section giving out. Thoughts?
By pull, I mean deadlifts. It's just one of the many synonyms for it.

If your spine and corresponding muscles aren't strong enough to support the weight, then you will not be able to complete the rep(s). An insufficiently strong core with cause the lower back to round and then technique goes to hell from there. There are a myriad of reasons that one would fail at a squat and it is not just limited to the thigh/glute strength.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To add to Rodja comment, a lot of the imabalances and weaknesses seen in squatting and dead lifting such as forward lean or back rounding is due to weak core muscles.

In my opinion, the importance of core exercises that do not involve spinal flexion are overlooked. Bridges, holds, rotational movement, kettle bell swings, single side farmers walks, etc.

br

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
To add to Rodja comment, a lot of the imabalances and weaknesses seen in squatting and dead lifting such as forward lean or back rounding is due to weak core muscles.

In my opinion, the importance of core exercises that do not involve spinal flexion are overlooked. Bridges, holds, rotational movement, kettle bell swings, single side farmers walks, etc.

br
Can be remedied by using lighter weight and proper form.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Only if you use terrible form and your lower back is incredibly weak. The lower back is also part of the "core" and should be trained just as much.
I have been seeing a few articles such as this:
//blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/06/03/stop-doing-sit-ups-why-crunches-don-t-work.aspx

on a side note i have been trying all of the exercises mentioned here in different combos, ty for all the advice.

I have also been doing pushups with a medicine ball alternating sides.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been seeing a few articles such as this:
//blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2009/06/03/stop-doing-sit-ups-why-crunches-don-t-work.aspx

on a side note i have been trying all of the exercises mentioned here in different combos, ty for all the advice.

I have also been doing pushups with a medicine ball alternating sides.
That article only further reiterates what I was saying about the lower back is part of the core and should be trained and, IMO, should be trained more.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And to add further support to Rodja's statement:

Overtraining the Rectus Abdominis Can Make You Less Efficient in Weightlifting
Ellyn M. Robinson, DPE, CSCS*D
Journal of Strength and Conditioning
32:5 69-74

EFFICIENT TRUNK FLEXION AND
EXTENSION TRAINING IS PARAMOUNT
TO STABILIZE HEAVY
WEIGHTS LIFTED OVERHEAD IN
WEIGHTLIFTING. A STRONG AND
BALANCED TRUNK, WHICH INCLUDES
SEVERAL MUSCLE
GROUPS (NOT JUST THOSE SUPERFICIAL
MUSCLES THAT CAN BE
SEEN BUT PERHAPS EVEN MORE
IMPORTANTLY THE DEEP ONES
THAT HOLD MOST OF THE LOAD), IS
NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS. THIS
ARTICLE WILL DISCUSS THE IMPORTANCE
OF BALANCE BETWEEN
FLEXION AND EXTENSION EXERCISES
OF THE TRUNK, STABILIZATION
MOVEMENTS OF THE TRUNK,
AND SPECIFIC EXERCISES THAT
CAN BE USED IN A WEIGHTLIFTING
TRAINING PROGRAM TO MOST EFFECTIVELY
TRAIN FOR STABILIZATION
OF THE WEIGHT OVERHEAD.
Can email the full article to anyone interested.

Br