How important are looks in chosing a Personal Trainer?

JayRock

Awards
Should a personal trainer totally epitomize their industry by looking like a magazine fitness model, or is just being relatively "fit" good enough. Do you think that looks pay a large part in clients chosing trainers?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my opinion, that is his business card!! Sort of the old saying: "Practice What You Preach"

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I remember a fatter, depressed looking guy at the gym who was a trainer. I would always wonder how he got anyone to sign up under him... And everyone else I knew talked about it too... him being unfit and all. So IMO it matters, but to some people... I guess it doesnt cause he's been there for YEARS.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
obviously if the trainer looks better its a good marketing tool, however they don't have to be in shape to be extremely knowledgeable about the subject of weight training and diet.....i like to look at like a bill belichick couldn't tackle but he'll work circles around players when it comes to football knowledge

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
obviously if the trainer looks better its a good marketing tool, however they don't have to be in shape to be extremely knowledgeable about the subject of weight training and diet.....i like to look at like a bill belichick couldn't tackle but he'll work circles around players when it comes to football knowledge
Yea, mark rip, or whatever the guy who made crossfit's name is definitely doesn't look like he even could do anything... but he is VERY knowledgeable.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea, mark rip, or whatever the guy who made crossfit's name is definitely doesn't look like he even could do anything... but he is VERY knowledgeable.
same thing with a guy at my gym, he was mr PA back in the day, he got sick, but by just by looking at him you wouldn't think he knew anything because he's skinny and fragile looking right now....but you talk to him and your like wow, this guy knows his stuff...don't judge a book by its cover

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Should a personal trainer totally epitomize their industry by looking like a magazine fitness model, or is just being relatively "fit" good enough. Do you think that looks pay a large part in clients chosing trainers?
Sadly it is VERY important for getting clients. It doesn't matter what they might actually know just as long as they look good.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sadly it is VERY important for getting clients. It doesn't matter what they might actually know just as long as they look good.
x2. Especially in commercial gym settings. If you don't look the part you need to make sure you are very good at sales.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes and yes. I think a PT should absolutely look good, be it big and muscular, shredded, whatever. Being some sort of skinny-fat (or skinny-obese, which I have seen plenty of) is a no-no in my book. These types usually have you doing bosu ball squats and biking to warm up for any sort of hip exercises (LOL???).

And I think a PT's looks sometimes plays a part in clients chosing trainers, though word of mouth and popularity plays a larger role, honestly.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As it's been stated, you don't have to look fantastic to know your stuff, but it sure matters from the perspective of 99% of people. The 1% that is smart enough to know that knowledge doesn't necessarily also have to mean looking the part are the people who wouldn't hire a trainer, anyway.

It depends on the client base you're trying to pull in, too. A large portion want someone who just has low body fat and slightly more than average muscle. They don't want someone who is huge, even if they're ripped, too. You have to think about who is paying for a trainer. Most of the time, it's older people, young kids, women, and people rehabbing (I'm speaking solely in terms of what I've seen in all my years). They don't want a huge guy.

Also, your looks outside of just body composition will play a role, too. A good smile, symmetry, etc. will always win out.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see why the "sadly" or other peoples talking as if they think its wrong. What good is any amount of knowledge if you can't put it into practice? And how well can you motivate a client if you can't apparently motivate yourself?

I'm not saying i'd think a trainer should be a 6' 250lb 7% bf person, but under 15% bf i'd think is a must and enough muscle to look good in a t-shirt at that bodyfat.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
^ Well said :box:

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
IMO I'm not going to take much advice from someone I don't want to look like....

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't see why the "sadly" or other peoples talking as if they think its wrong. What good is any amount of knowledge if you can't put it into practice? And how well can you motivate a client if you can't apparently motivate yourself?

I'm not saying i'd think a trainer should be a 6' 250lb 7% bf person, but under 15% bf i'd think is a must and enough muscle to look good in a t-shirt at that bodyfat.
Agreed

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

The sadly is because the typical gym client will value the aesthetic appeal of their trainer rather then their actual knowledge. You can be dumb as dirt but if you got a six pack and big arms you can walk into a gym and pick clients up left and right. Im not saying a trainer should be a fat slob, but when someone is selecting a trainer how they look shouldnt even matter or be a consideration IMO.

At my old gym there was a trainer who had some decent size to him and had that typical "jersey shore" type look. Big arms & big chest. He was there all the time with at least 3 guys with him who he was training. No lie I saw him teaching people how to curl in the squat rack. Once he came up to me while I was deadlifting to tell me how dangerous the deadlift is and I shouldnt do it. He said.. And I quote "the deadlift is the worst exercise for an athlete becuase it makes you slow"..

See the reason for my comment? If someone is looking for a trainer there looks are ZERO indication of what they know. Lots of people are blessed with good genetics and any dumbazz can do steroids and get big. This doesnt mean they know what they are doing or are able to train and give advice to someone else. Again not saying to hire the 250lb 40%BF guy, but that the looks of a personal trainer have WAY too much impact on people then other more important qualities.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If someone is looking for a trainer there looks are ZERO indication of what they know.
simply not true. A 20%+ bodyfat trainer regardless of technical knowledge either has a deficit in motivation or application of knowledge. I'll grant that many people who do look good have no knowledge, but someone who has knowledge but looks bad isn't any more useful than they are.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
simply not true. A 20%+ bodyfat trainer regardless of technical knowledge either has a deficit in motivation or application of knowledge. I'll grant that many people who do look good have no knowledge, but someone who has knowledge but looks bad isn't any more useful than they are.
but what if the trainer just doesn't have the dream or goals to have that kind of physique....but rather wants to put his knowledge into helping ppl that do strive for that look

i'll gladly take training advice from powerlifters, about technique or different ideas to grow, but they don't necessarily have 6 packs or anything that i'd want to look like.....doesn't mean they are any less knowledgeable about the subject....they just dont' strive for the same look

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
but what if the trainer just doesn't have the dream or goals to have that kind of physique....but rather wants to put his knowledge into helping ppl that do strive for that look

i'll gladly take training advice from powerlifters, about technique or different ideas to grow, but they don't necessarily have 6 packs or anything that i'd want to look like.....doesn't mean they are any less knowledgeable about the subject....they just dont' strive for the same look
ok but 99% of clients at a gym are looking to lose bodyfat, not break a 400lb deadlift.

If the trainer doesn't have those kind of goals, I'm not sure how much they could support my goals of that. And i'm not saying someone needs to be ripped, but 15% is a reasonable healthy bodyfat level.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if i was going to get a personal trainer, i'd like one that is also good with diet....because you could train with the best trainer, but if your diet isn't good then the results really won't be worth what your paying for a trainer

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't even consider a training who isn't holding a pro bodybuilding card....

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then I guess you would say these guys, regardless of technical knowledge either have a deficit in motivation or application of knowledge right?

and before you say "99% of guys in the gym are looking to loose weight and those guys in the video are powerlifters and wont be good at giving advice on how one would loose bodyfat.. See below

Extreme.. Yes but illustrates a point.

Your physical appearance has nothing to do with what you know. Just because someone is big and muscular doesnt mean they can train someone else.. Just because someone is fatter than the average trainer doesnt mean the other trainers know more then them.. Just because someone is skinny and looks weak doesnt mean they cant design a good strength program... And so forth

Appearance does not equal knowledge and ability and vice versa which was the point of my post. Someone shouldnt pick a trainer based upon their appearance. SADLY this is often how trainers are picked though.. Not because of what they know but because they look good.

I dont even know why extremes are even being brought into the discussion as you yourself admitted, "many people who do look good have no knowledge", and the original discussion was over if a trainer has to look like a magazine fitness model or if just being relatively "fit" is good enough. Dont know why you felt the need to add a 20%+ BF person into the discussion since obviously the discussion isnt about that since they wouldnt be considered "relatively fit".

So if there are two trainers.. One has a six pack and looks like he just did a cover shoot for a fitness magazine and the other just looks like a average joe who is "relatively fit".. The model one is the one who would usually end up getting picked and very well might be a complete idiot and the average joe guy could have been amazing at program and diet design. This is the point I was trying to make. SADLY appearance is usually the deciding factor when someone is choosing a trainer.. Knowledge and ability isnt usually even considered

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to throw this scenario into the ring:

You've seen my avatar and other photos at one point in time that showed where my body was at. It has since turned into an abomination (aside from my arms and upper back) due to whatever unknown/undiagnosed medical/biological issue(s) I'm dealing with. I still lift 5 days a week, I still eat clean and restricted calories, I still get in cardio, etc. But if you saw me and didn't know me, you'd think I was just a fat guy with big arms.

That's one of the most sickening things about what I'm going through, because I actually enjoy helping people, but admittedly, I sure wouldn't listen to someone who looks like me, even though I've spent a large amount of my free time in the past several years studying nutrition along with more training.

I'm not saying that's even close to common and in fact, it may not even be something anyone else is dealing with. However, I'm someone who prides myself in my knowledge and my body, but for whatever reason, it doesn't look like it, right now.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't rep josh enough in this thread.

One day (maybe not) we will require personal trainers to get licensed. Just like we do with physical therapists and athletic trainers. When this day occurs, when a 45 minute online test and a trip the tanning bed no longer produce a PT certification, then good things will happen. Health care may actually start investing in the preventative ability of nutrition and exercise.

But, sadly, the majority of clients train under commercial gym personal trainers who either train them all with back/bi's or doing ridiculous things they took out of P90X or cross-****.

Br

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I agree with this. Looking good in a T shirt (or whatever you happen to be training in) is enough. The trainer I'm talking about at my gym at a full on pot belly, and always looked unhappy and depressed....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
This is a very good discussion. I have both at my gym.
Like it has been said I say your body has to somewhat sell it self, but you can't always judge a book by its cover. Anyone new to the game should take insight from someone at the gym, if they are not seeing results from then they know it's time to switch something around especially if they have a trainer and he has laid out something for that person or the person needs to re evaluate themselves.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the saddest/funniest part of all of this is that 99% of the people going into a commercial gym for a trainer would benefit from ANYTHING at all

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think too its simple for us to see it from our perspective, and yet not quite get that the majority of people walking into the gym are clueless. Most of us here could ask a trainer a handful of questions and be able to tell from that how knowledgable he is even if we disagree on details like carb intake, etc. Average 30% bodyfat woman walking in to "tone up" wouldn't have any reasonable way of evaluating them.

And even with more stringent licensing, educational etc standards, it still doesn't mean its accurate. look at how many dieticians still to this day recommend no more than 3-4 whole egss a week due to their cholesterol or saturated fat content.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
There was an guy who trained olympic marathon runners and olympic ice skaters on nutrition. He ran the nutrition department and was a professor at my college. He pissed knowledge and knew so much that it blew my mind, but he was out of shape and told us he didnt exercise. He did go on to lose a significant amount of weight with only diet, but for a while he didnt look impressive at all.

Thats a bit different, but for a personal trainer they would have to look a lot better than me or be super strong or have some outstanding quality/history.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
If you don't have a body that is respectable, IE I would be happy with it, I wouldn't pick you. It's kind of like the cover letter of your resume and a fatass without any previous pro-BB history is going to be an instant no for me. The only exception is if they have a strong amount of education to back up their facts. If they can't explain to me basics like insulin activity, I'd never pick them.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is this PT at one of the gyms I go to...he is in his late 30's maybe early 40's, average height, and doesn't look like he has lifted a day in his life, just a little skin and bones dude, and I don't respect his opinion at all. When he tries to give me pointers I just give him a "who the hell are you" look, I hate it when he tries to rush over to spot me, and everyone else is the same. I just think "oh really is that why you're so huge?"
It is the equivalent of a woman taking beauty and fashion tips from a butched woman in a flannel cutoff shirt, jean shorts, and no makeup lol.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then again, I myself don't ever think I would waste my money hiring a personal trainer. I think the majority of us on this site consider ourselves personal trainers of sorts, and a lot of us would make good trainers.
I might hire a nutritionist just to ease the load on that aspect, but knowing what I know about my own training, I not only want complete control over how my muscles are being trained, but I think I may just have too much pride to pay someone to follow me around a gym and tell me what to do. Then again, I would probably smile for days if someone like Roelly Winklar or Victor Martinez came into the gym and barked orders at me for even 10 minutes of my gym sesh lol.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is this PT at one of the gyms I go to...he is in his late 30's maybe early 40's, average height, and doesn't look like he has lifted a day in his life, just a little skin and bones dude, and I don't respect his opinion at all. When he tries to give me pointers I just give him a "who the hell are you" look, I hate it when he tries to rush over to spot me, and everyone else is the same. I just think "oh really is that why you're so huge?"
It is the equivalent of a woman taking beauty and fashion tips from a butched woman in a flannel cutoff shirt, jean shorts, and no makeup lol.
The woman comparison is so true! Seeing make up/fashion is like the woman equivalent of body building lol.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
I am 68 years-old. That in itself should stop PT clients in their tracks. I am probably the oldest full-time Fitness Director in the YMCA nationwide. As a full-time employee, I'm allowed up to 12 hours of additional Personal Training work per week. I have a waiting list for clients. Before I became the Fitness Director I was a Personal Trainer at the Y and averaged 32 hours of PT training each week. My clients came to me because they like the way I train my clients. It doesn't hurt that I am also a Master Professional Bodybuilder. So at my age, do "looks" matter? I don't know. LOL

Old Navy

73456-OldNavy.jpg

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im okay with hiring a bad looking trainer. But to get the job they have to show results in the form of past client pictures and testimonials.

Lyle mcdonald
Bret contreras
Eric cressey

None of those guys look crazy good, but all have had great client results.

Trainers at private gyms are much better ime.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
I am 68 years-old. That in itself should stop PT clients in their tracks. I am probably the oldest full-time Fitness Director in the YMCA nationwide. As a full-time employee, I'm allowed up to 12 hours of additional Personal Training work per week. I have a waiting list for clients. Before I became the Fitness Director I was a Personal Trainer at the Y and averaged 32 hours of PT training each week. My clients came to me because they like the way I train my clients. It doesn't hurt that I am also a Master Professional Bodybuilder. So at my age, do "looks" matter? I don't know. LOL

Old Navy

View attachment 49771
Wow... that is damn impressive. Respect

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Old Navy

View attachment 49771
I'd hire you. Most the guys I go to for advice in the gym are in their 50's.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
You in the Chicago land area? :p
I used to live in Chicago, where I had an apartment in Lake Point Towers at Navy Pier and worked in the Wrigley Building on Michigan Avenue when I was working for MTV Music Television, but, alas, now I live and work in Birmingham, Alabama.

Old Navy

Budoka

Budoka

Awards

Old Navy

View attachment 49771
Are you kidding me? Looking like that at 68, of course I'd pick you!

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Old Navy, I was going to say I hope I look like you when I'm 68 but I should rephrase that - I wish I looked like you NOW!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Old Navy, I was going to say I hope I look like you when I'm 68 but I should rephrase that - I wish I looked like you NOW!
Thanks. As a retired U.S. Navy Captain, I like your Avatar of "Ole Blood and Guts," General George C. Patton.

Old Navy

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, Staked :cheers:
Do you think $500.00 up front and $50.00 a session is a lot for a trainer? It includes 18 weeks of contest prep, diet, training, supplements, posing, ect.

A little back round on the trainer. IFBB pro and a chief NPC judge.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Do you think $500.00 up front and $50.00 a session is a lot for a trainer? It includes 18 weeks of contest prep, diet, training, supplements, posing, ect.

A little back round on the trainer. IFBB pro and a chief NPC judge.
No, that package is not unreasonable. One caution though. If you are doing gear, it's fine to have a IFBB/NPC trainer. Contest prep is different if you are cycling and not competing as a natural athlete in a tested competition. The diet and contest prep is different and if you are natural, even if you are doing an NPC show, you might do better to have a trainer who has competed in the natural arena to help you.

I know one natural Pro distance trainer who asks $200/month for contest prep advice. Another well known trainer (Dr. Joe) asks $175/month. I know another Pro who charges $1,400/year to provide ongoing diet and training plans and contest prep.

I ask $65/month to provide distance training contest prep. I have worked with distance training clients in Washington, Utah, California, Georgia, New York, Hong Kong, Baghdad, Iraq, Washington, DC, Florida, Ohio, Arizona and on board a U.S. Navy ship via email only. My web site is: www.BodyBuildingSenior.com. I hold Pro Cards in four natural organizations, NGA, WNSO, IDFA, NPA and work with bodybuilders, figure, bikini model and male fitness model competitors. I have competed in more than 40 shows, including six NPC events, have judged at least 15 shows, have MC'd several shows and am the promoter of the annual NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Bikini Model Championships, a Super Pro Qualifier every July. This year's show is in Birmingham, Alabama on July 14.

Old Navy

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, that package is not unreasonable. One caution though. If you are doing gear, it's fine to have a IFBB/NPC trainer. Contest prep is different if you are cycling and not competing as a natural athlete in a tested competition. The diet and contest prep is different and if you are natural, even if you are doing an NPC show, you might do better to have a trainer who has competed in the natural arena to help you.

I know one natural Pro distance trainer who asks $200/month for contest prep advice. Another well known trainer (Dr. Joe) asks $175/month. I know another Pro who charges $1,400/year to provide ongoing diet and training plans and contest prep.

I ask $65/month to provide distance training contest prep. I have worked with distance training clients in Washington, Utah, California, Georgia, New York, Hong Kong, Baghdad, Iraq, Washington, DC, Florida, Ohio, Arizona and on board a U.S. Navy ship via email only. My web site is: www.BodyBuildingSenior.com. I hold Pro Cards in four natural organizations, NGA, WNSO, IDFA, NPA and work with bodybuilders, figure, bikini model and male fitness model competitors. I have competed in more than 40 shows, including six NPC events, have judged at least 15 shows, have MC'd several shows and am the promoter of the annual NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Bikini Model Championships, a Super Pro Qualifier every July. This year's show is in Birmingham, Alabama on July 14.

Old Navy
Thats good advice and I'm natural and doing a natty / tested show. Thanks a bunch I'll be checking out you site.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Old Navy
This is really good advice, especially regarding the hiring of a trainer/consultant who specializes in natural vs. enhanced athletes.

And I charge 100/month for consulting (distance training), although I specialize more in sport specific and functional trainer, so those prices are right on the money.

Br

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just to throw this scenario into the ring:

You've seen my avatar and other photos at one point in time that showed where my body was at. It has since turned into an abomination (aside from my arms and upper back) due to whatever unknown/undiagnosed medical/biological issue(s) I'm dealing with. I still lift 5 days a week, I still eat clean and restricted calories, I still get in cardio, etc. But if you saw me and didn't know me, you'd think I was just a fat guy with big arms.

That's one of the most sickening things about what I'm going through, because I actually enjoy helping people, but admittedly, I sure wouldn't listen to someone who looks like me, even though I've spent a large amount of my free time in the past several years studying nutrition along with more training.

I'm not saying that's even close to common and in fact, it may not even be something anyone else is dealing with. However, I'm someone who prides myself in my knowledge and my body, but for whatever reason, it doesn't look like it, right now.
Amen to this. Couldn't feel u more! Still can't get a dr to take me seriously. Once infinally get a diagnosis I should really sue this current sob for negligence