advice please (breaking down my routine barney style, sorry its long)

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Hey Everyone, first I just wanted to say if this isn't the right place feel free to move it.

Second I am looking for some serious advice on building everything from my diet to my routine. I have been around the boards for a while and read and researched for hours and hours over the last 4 years. But recently I had a **** storm in my life and I took 7 months off from the gym and pretty much turned into a lazy piece of poo and ate whatever came my way and drank myself under the table on many occasions, I ended up ballooning to around 20% bf possibly a little higher. I quit right after I had hit some PR 405 x 2 on bench 450 x 3 on dl and 325 on squat (low I know) I was in really good shape and down around 13% and feeling great, then I literally just stopped going and saw the inside of a gym maybe 3 times over that time.

Well four weeks ago I decided I couldn't take my laziness anymore and that I was going to get back into the gym and I have been hitting it hard ever since. I have been using some athletix titanium and original dermacrine and really after 4 weeks I am getting pretty close to my regular lifts on a natural cycle. The first week I was dying hitting 135 x 15 on bench, 135 on squats hurt like hell and deads I thought I was going to kill myself doing 205.
After these four weeks I am pushing 225 x 12 bench for nice slow solid reps for three sets, tonight I did 315 x 5 for three sets on deads and 205 x 5 for three sets on squats so I am feeling pretty good again.

Now, I am going to be starting a cycle in about 2-3 weeks (I know its really soon after just getting back into it but I have some serious **** that I am going to be dealing with middle of the year next year and I won't have the opportunity to do anything so I am doing it now and this is where I need the help. I am trying to make this cycle as beneficial as possible and get the most out of my gear. I am looking for advice on routine and diet and this is not my first cycle but I haven't run test in a long time so this should be a fun ride.

Cycle

1-4 dbol 40mg ed
1-14 test e 500 per week (250 sun/thurs)
2-15 hcg 500iu per week same schedule as test

Support for on cycle
Aridex
Nolva

For PCT I am following the Nolva Clomid scheme
TCF-1
have hcgen on hand also
Open to suggestions for pct

Routine

I am using the Madcow 5x5 routine which I have used before and that is why I hit my PR on bench of 405 and I have always had good results with it. I added a couple exercises to each to to target some muscles individually. Also, I work abs every workout day doing weighted abs on Mon, reps on Wed, Friday I target obliques.

**After my workouts I have been walking on a treadmill for an hour. I start at 7 incline and 3mph and every 10 minutes for the first half hour I increase the incline by 1. After 30 minutes I decrease the incline by one every 10 minutes. When I hit the 40 minute marker I grab two 35lbs weight plates and I do 15 slow shrugs and then carry the weight for one minute. I then drop the weight for one minute and I repeat this process for 10 minutes. The last 10 minutes are a cool down at 2.6mph and 5 incline.

Monday
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

Supplemental exercises are done for higher volume 12-15 rang for 3 sets to failure. Every other week I will be doing weighted dips instead of dumbell bench.
Incline Dumbell
Decline Dumbell
Weighted Hypers

Tuesday
Insanity workout cardio

Wensday
Squat 5x4
Clean 5x4
Deadlift 5x4

Supplemental exercises
Bicep 21's with rope on pulley slow reps with full contraction at peak
Tricep 21's same as bicep
Pull-ups for 3 max sets

Thursday
Insanity workout cardio

Friday
Squat 5x4 followed by a heavy set for 3 reps followed by a light set for 8 reps
Bench 5x4 followed by a heavy set for 3 reps followed by a light set for 8 reps
Clean 5x4 followed by a heavy set for 3 reps followed by a light set for 8 reps

Supplemental exercises
Face pulls
Forearm rolls
Lat pull downs

Diet is where I suck, I cave easily but this time around I have more motivation that I ever have for the gym and am really wanting to work to drop as much fat as I can while building as much muscle as I can. I know those two don't go together very well but being at the BF I am at I think I will be able to just because the muscle I put on will be using a lot of the calories I am throwing at my body, and my body is already used to a high caloric intake pretty close to what I will be eating on cycle but coming from much cleaner foods.
So any advice falls upon open ears, everything from what to eat, when to eat it, etc.
I am aiming for 3500 cals on cycle btw

Diet

Breakfast
usually consist of some kind of eggs and meat. Just depends on the day and what I am feeling. I usually have chorizo, or some kind of brisket to put with my eggs.

Morning Snack
Usually some kind of fruit like a banana, blueberries, or a pack of nuts and possibly a protein shake

Afternoon
Lunch is hard for me to put down but I have been doing a lot of salads with some fruit in them and either chicken or turkey and a balsamic of some kind

Evening snack
Usually water and just something I can grab out of the fridge from yogurt to string cheese

Dinner
I have been making a lot of different types of chicken and beef and that is no problem for me. Usually a chicken breast with some brown rice with a can of rotel and some spinach in it to get ride of the blandness.

Post workout

I workout right before I go to bed, so this is the last food I take in for the day.

Meal some kind of meat and a source of carbs like more rice, or a sweet potato. I finish my mean first and immediately down my shake.
Shake - 2 eggs, 2 scoops of protein, 1 cup steel cut oats, 1 banana, 2tbps of natural peanut butter
(On the shake would it be smarter to move it to right after my workout before I start walking on the treadmill)

Now some controversial things that I have read and have been toying with this last week and I haven't gained any weight, I look better and feel better in the gym. I took this from a couple articles that I skimmed and figured I would give it a shot because as we all know its all about trial and error. And everyone can say something about it, but when it comes down to it not many people that I know have tried it so they are speaking from hearsay.

Pre workout I have been taking a large shot of whiskey, the science behind it is that it puts less strain on the heart, dialates your blood vessels and slightly thins your blood allowing it to move easier through your body.

Post workout and this one came from Arnold, But I am having a beer first thing when I get home. The science is that your body can more easily use the "water" in the beer because of the salts and electrolytes found in it. Also the insulin spike is supposed to be beneficial

I think I covered almost everything that I could remember. It has been a really really long day and if I forgot something just let me know.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer, and if you think I am an idiot feel free to post it up I have thick skin. I might not be 8% bf but I have hit some pretty good numbers in my lifetime and was pretty happy where I was at before.

One last thing I did forget
Stats

Age - 25
Height 5'7
Weight 186lbs

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Muscle memory alone will be able to throw it on you very fast. You will be surprised at just how fast you can build from a long lay off. I think its a little early for a cycle, but that's your call. IMO I would take advantage of the easy gains you will get from being out of the gym first, then start a cycle later on...

PCT looks good with the SERM, TCF-1, and HCGenerate. I would consider adding some DAA and an AI like Formastanozol in there also.

It looks like you are planning a recomp for the most part. You will get a wide variety of opinions on what would work well in that respect. I would keep your calories higher (about 500 or so over maintenance) and add in a decent amount of cardio. 15-20 minutes HIIT following training sessions 3-4 times per week would well IMO

BarbellBeast

BarbellBeast

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Drink the shake after cardio.
Looks like you may need to be eating a quite bit more protein guy.
I would at the bare minimum get in 200 at the weight your at. More like 250-300 though.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I second what Rick said about muscle memory. I think 6 months is a good window to stay all natty with and allow muscle memory to do its thing before you jump into a cycle.

If and when you do, I don't think you need to run the hcg the entire cycle like that, it's going to make estro harder to control. I'd hit up like 8 weeks of hcg right in the middle of the cycle, or the last 8 weeks of it or something along those lines.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Looks like everyone else has given you pretty good advice; I would try upping your volume while attempting to increase strength. Heavy weights and lots of volume are the way to grow IMO.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the tips guys. I was doing HIIT after my routine last time I was doing 5x5 and milas suggested trying LISS instead but I might try and switch it up every week between the two to keep it fresh because I hate cardio with a passion.

BB- I forgot about my afternoon shake with greak yogurt and some other goodies in it, and that I put two hard-boiled eggs in my salad. So according to fitday I am getting around 250g of protein a day.

Also, starting it this soon isn't my ideal situation but I have the gear and it looks like I will be moving out of the country over the summer. So if I start it when I planned I will have just the right amount of time to run the cycle, a strong pct, and then a couple weeks after it to bust my ass before I move.

Rick - I forgot to mention that I have a full month supply of DAA powerchews thanks to Nathan!

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for all the tips guys. I was doing HIIT after my routine last time I was doing 5x5 and milas suggested trying LISS instead but I might try and switch it up every week between the two to keep it fresh because I hate cardio with a passion.

BB- I forgot about my afternoon shake with greak yogurt and some other goodies in it, and that I put two hard-boiled eggs in my salad. So according to fitday I am getting around 250g of protein a day.

Also, starting it this soon isn't my ideal situation but I have the gear and it looks like I will be moving out of the country over the summer. So if I start it when I planned I will have just the right amount of time to run the cycle, a strong pct, and then a couple weeks after it to bust my ass before I move.

Rick - I forgot to mention that I have a full month supply of DAA powerchews thanks to Nathan!
DAA powerchews will be perfect for PCT. I'm sure you will enjoy those man ;)

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
I do have a question about the HCG, I had read a couple places that people thought it was better to start it a week after starting your cycle and run it for the full length because it prevented testicular atrophy from ever really happening? Also, wouldn't the Aridex that I am using keep the estro under control?

Also, Rick when you say to get an AI for pct, would I be good just sticking with the Aridex I have for on cycle? I have a bunch of extra Aridex and I was planning on running .25mg eod possible every third day of my cycle and then just continue that regiment over to pct?

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do have a question about the HCG, I had read a couple places that people thought it was better to start it a week after starting your cycle and run it for the full length because it prevented testicular atrophy from ever really happening? Also, wouldn't the Aridex that I am using keep the estro under control?

Also, Rick when you say to get an AI for pct, would I be good just sticking with the Aridex I have for on cycle? I have a bunch of extra Aridex and I was planning on running .25mg eod possible every third day of my cycle and then just continue that regiment over to pct?

Yeh I missed the part that you had the pharm grade AI in there. No need for another one....you are good bro. Just continue use of that on cycle and then taper down the dosage in PCT.

I'm not very well versed on the best way to use your HCG, so i will let someone else chime in on that part.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Adex is going to help control the estro. The thing is that the amount of aromatization and dose you need is going to be very consistent with your test from week to week, however when you add in hcg, every time you hit that 250iu dose of it or whatever dose you are running, it's going to spike. That makes it very hard to control, it can be like a rollercoaster up and down with your estro when you use hcg. some guys it affects more so than others.

My suggestion would be to possibly dose your AI higher on the days that you pin the hcg and drop it back down in between. You'll just have to play with it.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I will def keep an eye out.
On previous cycles I have been really lucky and never really had any issues with estro so I am hoping it will be the same on this one.

As far as the diet goes what are good macros for a recomp?
I set up my meals for the week and my macro split for the week came out to 40/40/20 p/f/c

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, I will def keep an eye out.
On previous cycles I have been really lucky and never really had any issues with estro so I am hoping it will be the same on this one.

As far as the diet goes what are good macros for a recomp?
I set up my meals for the week and my macro split for the week came out to 40/40/20 p/f/c
That isnt bad, for recomp. I would probably go a tad lower on carbs closer to 30%, but I am pretty sensitive to carbs and bloat quick on them

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I am relatively carb sensitive myself. [HR][/HR]

Would you split the 10% or go 50/30/20

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, I am relatively carb sensitive myself. [HR][/HR]

Would you split the 10% or go 50/30/20
I would split it between the protein and fats. 50% protein can get pretty high if your caloric intake is over 3k.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Thats what I figured, that would end up being an insane amount of protein to be taking in throughout the day.

I do have another question that I thought of.
I semi understand the whole eating carbs early and focused around your workout time, but I am in a weird situation. I go to the gym at 10pm M/W and on friday I go to the gym around 11, which means M/W I am out of the gym around midnight, and then Friday around 12:30

I go to bed around 2-3 in the morning right now, but I am trying to get on a better schedule where I come home and go to sleep by 1am

How would you adjust eating around this? should I still stick to carbs only early in the morning and afternoon, and maybe just some oats in a post workout shake?

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats what I figured, that would end up being an insane amount of protein to be taking in throughout the day.

I do have another question that I thought of.
I semi understand the whole eating carbs early and focused around your workout time, but I am in a weird situation. I go to the gym at 10pm M/W and on friday I go to the gym around 11, which means M/W I am out of the gym around midnight, and then Friday around 12:30

I go to bed around 2-3 in the morning right now, but I am trying to get on a better schedule where I come home and go to sleep by 1am

How would you adjust eating around this? should I still stick to carbs only early in the morning and afternoon, and maybe just some oats in a post workout shake?

There has been studies that have shown that the old wives tale of having to take the bulk of your carbs early in the day, and then tapering down to minimize fat gain is not true. As a matter in fact there has been a lot of evidence to show the opposite with the biggest amount of carbs taken with the last meal could be more beneficial in terms of fat loss or minimizing fat gain in a bulk.

So long story short, don't be afraid to take those carbs in late at night post workout. It won't hurt you one bit ;)

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, and that makes sense to me. and I love my post workout grub filled with carbs.
If you leave them out early, then while you are most active your body would be using other sources for fuel. And I would much rather hear that because I am fine in the morning and afternoon without carbs, at night is when I crave them the most, but like I said before finding good information is getting harder and harder. For every study you find on a topic, there are 3 refuting what that one says.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're doing cleans, they should be done first in your workout.

You need to add in a lot more pulling exercises for ancillary. Rows once a week doesn't cut it.

Find a low impact HIIT cardio, and structure it to a highly metabolic conditioning on tuesday/thursday to preserve your CNS. Something like 1-2 min of work followed by 30-60 sec of recovery.

Attached is a PDF from an endocrinologist about HCG.

View attachment HCGupdate.pdf

Br

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input, and I missed putting Rows down on Friday.

I have added in two variations of face pulls, one with the rope to just below the chin and another with two cables where you have the right cable with the left arm and the left cable with the right arm and you cross them.

I just finished the HCG pdf and had a question or two.

In the paper he is running the test dose once a week from the way it reads and found that it was most beneficial to dose the HCG the two days prior to the test cyp injection correct?

Now I know that after 2-3 weeks because of the half life of test that you could run the pins once a week and still receive have the same test levels throughout the week.
For the weeks prior to that I thought that you still needed to do the twice dosing scheme to keep test levels consistent? If that is the case what do you do then with the hcg, or does it not effect anything if you are still pinning twice a week with the test since levels should be the same?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I believe I am clear on it, but since we aren't playing with water here I'd like to be sure.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Take your question about HCG to the anabolics section. The article was wrote regarding medicinal test replacement therapy, not test for performance enhancement, but its poses some good information regardless.

I'd be happy to help you with any training or nutrition questions though.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Take your question about HCG to the anabolics section. The article was wrote regarding medicinal test replacement therapy, not test for performance enhancement, but its poses some good information regardless.

I'd be happy to help you with any training or nutrition questions though.
Awesome, how does this sound for the day for my food

1 Banana in the morning with 1 cup of greek yogurt
morning snack 6 ounces of egg salad only made with egg, mustard, celery and hot sauce
Lunch 8 oz of tuna salad made with mustard and hot sauce with 12 low fat whole grain crackers
evening snack protein shake
Dinner 8oz chicken breast with mixed veggies with a splash of olive oil
after workout 9 oz of brown rice with 6oz of 90% lean hamburger 1/2 oz shredded cheese
pre-bed snack 2 cups of cottage cheese

for 3k calories 300g protein 250g carbs and 99g fat

How does that look for a daily intake?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If its during a cycle, then good. If its off cycle, then the protein is a bit excessive and I would increase the fats. Also, try to get in more vegetables, especially green-leafy ones. Lots of benefits, including betaine and Hcy reductions.

Br

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again.
I am off cycle but starting next week so I am trying to get my body used to eating this much again before I start. last cycle my first two weeks I was having a hard time getting all my cals.
I will def add more greans. I usually have a mixed greens salad a day I just ran out. I also forgot I eat homemade pico with my chicken usually and cucumbers in the afternoon.
How much should I up the fats, 20g?

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Hey Zir,
So I am really looking to maximize my gear and supps during this cycle so I have a couple more questions.

With my goals being to get bigger, but also trim belly fat. I know I will lose some relatively easy just because of my current bf. I am not super worried about strength, for me that comes pretty easily so this is more about getting my old physique back but with more mass.

1. According to my bmr I should be getting 1920cals a day, and factoring in the Harris Benedict equation I should be right at 3k cals. Should I stick at 3000 7 days a week, or should it be a variance?
I was thinking maybe on workout days to hit 3200, and then on non workout days take it down to 2600cals

2. I have been recovering very quick is pretty normal for me and on cycle it is really fast. So I have decided to add 3-4 exercises in the 12-15 rep range for three sets to the end of my normal 5x5 workout.

Monday being extra chest (DB incline bench and flys, DB decline, cables)
Wed extra arms and traps (I add calfs in between my deads)
Friday is extra back with 4 extra exercises like you mentioned
Abs are done every workout day, no weights just body exercises

Cardio has been 30 minute warm up before lifting, nothing strenuous but I have a bad back so I find it a little easier if I have some extra blood pumping.
Following my workout I have been doing an hour on the treadmill starting at 7 incline 3 speed, and then ever 3 minutes I increase incline until 12, then work my way back down until I have walked for an hour.
Once I hit 20 minutes left I do farmers walk on the treadmill with weight plates for 30 seconds, then 15 shrugs. rest for one min and repeat for 10 minutes.
last 10 minutes is a kind of cool down.

None workout days I have been doing Hiit cardio at some point in the day. Its never consistent.

I know I am outlining the same stuff again but I figured I would put it all in one place with the couple changes I made and see what you think.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im not totally familiar with the benedict equation..or maybe its just the naming of it.

Give me your height, weight, describe you activity level outside of the gym (work, life, etc.), how many hours a week of resistance trianing, how many hours of HIIT, and how many hours of lower intensity cardio per week and I'll run it through my equation

As for your workout, I would suggest increasing frequency over volume if you are recovering well. Train each muscle 2x per week.

Add some foam rolling and mobility work in before each weight training session as part of your warm up. 15 min cardio, 15 min foam rolling and mobility.

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Im not totally familiar with the benedict equation..or maybe its just the naming of it.

It factors in what you mention below

Give me your height, weight, describe you activity level outside of the gym (work, life, etc.), how many hours a week of resistance trianing, how many hours of HIIT, and how many hours of lower intensity cardio per week and I'll run it through my equation

-5'8
-192 (up 12lbs since I started working out again)
-I work from home at my computer desk so work is all down time
-I spend about an hour and a half lifting 3 days a week with a 30 minute warm up, and I just started using a foam roller 3 weeks ago, best advice I ever got.
-After workout I do an hour to 75 minutes of LISS
-HIIT cardio 3 days a week for roughly 30 minutes

As for your workout, I would suggest increasing frequency over volume if you are recovering well. Train each muscle 2x per week.

I might consider going to 4 or 5 days a week in order to push a little harder. Right now I am hitting the compound lifts twice a week.

Add some foam rolling and mobility work in before each weight training session as part of your warm up. 15 min cardio, 15 min foam rolling and mobility

again, those foam rollers are magic, used to have bad issues with my shoulders and elbows and low back. After learning what a good warm up and a foam roller can do I would never switch back.

thanks, Eric

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Based on that info, I have you averaging 3340 kcal per day to maintain mass.

You could go more on training days and less on off days. That usually about what I do with clients.

Height in InchesWeight in poundsBSA
Enter kcal/hr Men: 36-38 Women 34-36
Years over 204
Resting Metabolic Rate =1847.439
Unplanned activity 15-20% sedentary 20-35% low activity 30% high activity 35% labor
Planned Activity in hrs/week
Resistance training4.5
Intense cardio1.5
Low intensity cardio6
Ave Daily Planned Activity=750
Thermogenic Effect of Food
10 for low protein 20 for high protein
Daily Caloric Requirements3336.414

indysoccer16

indysoccer16

Awards
  • Established
Awesome Zir, I really appreciate the effort.
This is the first time I have been weighing all of my food and I'm glad I started before my cycle because 3300 cal is a lot more than I thought. I had done cups in the past and found it to be a lot less accurate. now I can tell why there is a big separation between guys who compete and people lifting for hobby.