A question regarding ''pump''

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
So my question is why I can't feel the skin tearing pumps in my chest or back when I workout? When I work on my arms or legs I get awesome pumps and I really feel like the muscle I'm working is growing.

My typical chest workout would be like

3 sets of 8 - 12 reps

Bench press
Incline bench press
Dumbell press
Incline dumbell press
Dumbell flyes
Cable crossovers

Am I doing something wrong or does everyone have the same ''problem''?

I just love the the feeling when my arms are pumped and I just feel they are growing :p

Tboz

Banned
Awards
think thats a little too much volume for chest.. My 2cents would be to make sure you are using correct form.. Many people dont bench correctley, same with back.. Too many ppl will use their arms not their back so make sure form is correct.

maybe try higher reps and see how you respond to 15-25 reps

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Sounds to me like your working past the point of the "pump" and overtraining

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A pump doesn't mean a damn thing for either strength or hypertrophy.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
what rodja said

aceroni

Awards
^^ @ rodja.. idk dude most of the bodybuilders i talk to tell me to go for a pump and feel.. so i'm not saying that if you have a pump you're not growing, but you're definitely sending blood to the muscles and with that nutrients.. How can that not be beneficial..?

@ the OP.. Try lowering your rest times.. if youre resting 2-3minutes which is optimal for strength, you wont get a pump, at least not compared to a one minute or less rest time. try it out.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
x4 What Rodja said. Also, why are you doing flat bench and incline w/ both barbell and dumbbells? Also, why are you doing both flyes and crossovers? I would cut about half that workout out of there. Try incline press, dumbbell flyes, and dumbbell pullovers (perpendicular to the bench). If you're looking for more of a "pump," up the intensity and take shorter rests between sets. In the long run though, you will benefit the most by maximizing your form and weight.

So my question is why I can't feel the skin tearing pumps in my chest or back when I workout? When I work on my arms or legs I get awesome pumps and I really feel like the muscle I'm working is growing.

My typical chest workout would be like

3 sets of 8 - 12 reps

Bench press
Incline bench press
Dumbell press
Incline dumbell press
Dumbell flyes
Cable crossovers

Am I doing something wrong or does everyone have the same ''problem''?

I just love the the feeling when my arms are pumped and I just feel they are growing :p

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
^^ @ rodja.. idk dude most of the bodybuilders i talk to tell me to go for a pump and feel.. so i'm not saying that if you have a pump you're not growing, but you're definitely sending blood to the muscles and with that nutrients.. How can that not be beneficial..?

@ the OP.. Try lowering your rest times.. if youre resting 2-3minutes which is optimal for strength, you wont get a pump, at least not compared to a one minute or less rest time. try it out.
You would be navigating blood to the muscle either way simply by using it, granted a pump is a massive flood of blood removing toxins and the such from the muscle break down but simply stretching post workout does the same thing and allows the muscle fibers to grow and keep elasticity. Would you want a pump on your erectors during deadlifts?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I never said it wasn't beneficial, but, like DOMS, it does not equate to a productive workout.

aceroni

Awards
^actually. Ive gotten awesome pumps in the lower back from deads and i love it bro.... I'm not saying to cut your rest to 20 seconds and use baby weights, but some where in the middle where you're using heavy weights, but still not resting too long that you can actually achieve a decent pump is where i believe it to be most beneficial. for me, i dont like to rest longer than 1:30.. thats for bigger compound movements such as squats or deads that i want to perform heavier.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^actually. Ive gotten awesome pumps in the lower back from deads and i love it bro.... I'm not saying to cut your rest to 20 seconds and use baby weights, but some where in the middle where you're using heavy weights, but still not resting too long that you can actually achieve a decent pump is where i believe it to be most beneficial. for me, i dont like to rest longer than 1:30.. thats for bigger compound movements such as squats or deads that i want to perform heavier.
Again, why does it matter if you get a pump other than psychological pleasure? Pumps are great for a temporary, aesthetic pleasure, but don't hold much merit in regards to the efficacy of a training session.

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
A pump doesn't mean a damn thing for either strength or hypertrophy.
Ok good to know. I guess I'm just seeing my arms growing faster than my chest and I was just wondering if this might be the reason why.

I have heard from some people the same that you have. I don't know if it has any effect on muscle growth / strength but it just feels awesome right :D

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You would be navigating blood to the muscle either way simply by using it, granted a pump is a massive flood of blood removing toxins and the such from the muscle break down but simply stretching post workout does the same thing and allows the muscle fibers to grow and keep elasticity. Would you want a pump on your erectors during deadlifts?
Actually, quite the opposite. The pump is due to increased pressure in the vessels forcing fluid out into the interstitial space (the area outside of the muscle cells and blood vessels). As a result of this high pressure, some capillaries may actually be compressed and a lack of blood flow will be delivered. In addition, the high pressure reduces nutrient exchange and waste product removal. Which, in terms of signalling hypertrophy, is not an overall bad thing (see KATSU training). The pump, can however, reduce recovery due to fluid not reentering the system and a build up of inflammatory chemicals, which is one of the main reasons for performing a warm down and even cryotherapy (icing, ice baths, contrast showers, etc.) post workout.

Br