Question about training each bodypart once a week

survey

Awards
I am considering working each bodypart once a week instead of twice. I have a lot of experience lifting, but I'm ready to take things to the next level and I think this may be the way to do it. I'm finding that I'm not fully recovered from my last workout when I start the next. Pretty sure I'm overtraining. I am currently splitting as follows:

m&th- chest/tri's
t&f-med delts/traps/legs
w&sat-lats/post delts/bis

Should I just up the intensity a little and work each bodypart once a week?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only Real suggestion I think, is to give it a try for yourself and see how it works out for you. you know the Everyone responds differently thing. So you kinda just got to test the waters and see what works for you.

survey

Awards
The only Real suggestion I think, is to give it a try for yourself and see how it works out for you. you know the Everyone responds differently thing. So you kinda just got to test the waters and see what works for you.
Great advice. What do I have to lose anyway.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im also an advocate of if it aint broke dont fix it, but also in that same time. I mix things up all the time,just for a change of pace. been strictly bodybuilding/ powerlifting type training. but as of late crossfit looks very interesting for me to help get rid of excess fat.

Tboz

Banned
Awards
I have no idea why you would break down shoulders into two diffrent days???? My suggestion would be getting a better split or try to work each bodypart once and see how you respond.

HodgeFitness

Awards
Once a week is generic but thats because it works for alot of people. One thing you have to remember is going to the next level also means taking your nutrition and outside the gym habits to the next level as well. Just make sure you bust your ass in the gym and eat and rest outside the gym. It's a puzzle and all peices have to fit.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I do each bodypart twice a week, most people worry about overtraining buts its extremely tough to overtrain and will most likely only result after months of training without proper break. If your nutrition is good, your getting enough sleep theres no reason you shouldn't be doing each bodypart 2 times a week, say if i don't work out my chest after like 3-4 days i feel i start to lose some strength so i just do it 2 times a week.

str8jacked23

str8jacked23

Awards
Jumpshot903 has a point as do others. If say mixing up your routine for maximum benefit would be much better.
Arnold had his famous "push/pull" routine which I incorporate from time to time.
Chest/Back
Bi's/Tri's
Legs/Shoulders

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do each bodypart twice a week, most people worry about overtraining buts its extremely tough to overtrain and will most likely only result after months of training without proper break. If your nutrition is good, your getting enough sleep theres no reason you shouldn't be doing each bodypart 2 times a week, say if i don't work out my chest after like 3-4 days i feel i start to lose some strength so i just do it 2 times a week.
Question to you...Do you have a physical job?...This is why its easy for me to overtrain. I cannot work if Im not able to do my job...my job is physically demanding, And if I fail at that....Bills dont get paid.

Some people can workout more often.. as I stated. And I also said what works for you. Not trying to be a d*ck. But there are other things involved..You know what I mean. I told my boss I did 720 leg press for 3 on saturday...He stated you better be 100% today. Im sore as hell, but need to buck up and get sh*t done.

Maybe if I sat at a desk all day and wasnt on my feet, then maybe I could step it up.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Question to you...Do you have a physical job?...This is why its easy for me to overtrain. I cannot work if Im not able to do my job...my job is physically demanding, And if I fail at that....Bills dont get paid.

Some people can workout more often.. as I stated. And I also said what works for you. Not trying to be a d*ck. But there are other things involved..You know what I mean. I told my boss I did 720 leg press for 3 on saturday...He stated you better be 100% today. Im sore as hell, but need to buck up and get sh*t done.

Maybe if I sat at a desk all day and wasnt on my feet, then maybe I could step it up.
Thats completely understandable, im a college student/athlete still so obviously i don't have anything to do but workout/study/party so for me twice a week is ideal. But i understand if your job involves heavy lifting or a lot of physical activity you can't have the best of both worlds, one of them will lack wether its work or working out. If you opt to workout heavy 2 bodyparts a week it will affect your job like you mentioned, but the thing i see is i mean your already getting a workout at work with a physical job so there really isn't a need to lift 2 bodyparts a week.

So basically its user dependent if your body is able to lift two days a week do it if it interfers with everyday life find a happy medium.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thats completely understandable, im a college student/athlete still so obviously i don't have anything to do but workout/study/party so for me twice a week is ideal. But i understand if your job involves heavy lifting or a lot of physical activity you can't have the best of both worlds, one of them will lack wether its work or working out. If you opt to workout heavy 2 bodyparts a week it will affect your job like you mentioned, but the thing i see is i mean your already getting a workout at work with a physical job so there really isn't a need to lift 2 bodyparts a week.

So basically its user dependent if your body is able to lift two days a week do it if it interfers with everyday life find a happy medium.

EXACTLY....I was hoping youd see what i was trying to say. Sometimes I ramble on...But yeah. It all comes down to everyones different. Give things a try and see how they workout for you. Nothing is set in stone.