good morning check

napalm

napalm

Awards
i've only been doing these about a month and a half, still trying to get the movement down

sorry, still can't post vids

youtube.com/watch?v=UxBv6joAj_0

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like you got it.

On a total side note, I've never really thought about it this way but is a good morning basically the same movement as a RDL except with the weight on your back? (I'm not asking if it works you the same way but rather if the movement is the same)

napalm

napalm

Awards
Looks like you got it.

On a total side note, I've never really thought about it this way but is a good morning basically the same movement as a RDL except with the weight on your back? (I'm not asking if it works you the same way but rather if the movement is the same)
good question.

i gave this some thought when i was deciding whether to do rdl's vs good mornings. the way i see it, rdl's are more hammie and a little erector, while good mornings annihilate the erectors more than the rdl's. they're def not the same movement, the distribution of the load is way different.

i went back and forth on which to include in my training. i wanted an assistance exercise that would help both my squat and dead lift and after doing some reading, decided to go with the gm's.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its hard to tell, but it looks your spine flexes a little during the movement.

As for toro's question, they are very very similar. Both are a hip dominated movement...neither (when done correctly) should involve spinal flexion to extension.

Here's a couple videos.

The first one is great form and a good explanation...and as an added bonus, the instructor is quite attractive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iycq-kJann0

The second one is a graphic representation of the action of the hamstrings as the primary mover during the lift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twGoRDaaiMI&feature=related

Notice around 30 sec in that the spinal erectors maintain an isometric hold (do not shorten) to prevent spinal flexion. Notice how the hamstrings do get stretched as the hip flexes and the ishium travels upwards.

Now, around 40 seconds you get to see what happens when there is either a lack of flexibility or if flexion occurs in the spine. Notice with spinal flexion the ishium does not travel upwards, the hamstrings do not get stretched (ie. are not fully recruited), and how...just plain ugly...the movement looks.

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The main thing to remember with the GM is to stick your hips back and to always feel the stretch in the hamstring. You do not have to go to parallel with the floor, though.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont think you really understood my question, napalm. I was distinguishing the movement (the motion your body makes) from the load the different exercises place on your muscles.

But yeah, the good morning is such a great lift, and between that and RDL it definitely provides more of a benefit to squats and DLs than RDLs do. Having strong legs is easy - having a tough lower back and a tougher upper back is a little harder. But both do really drill the hip thrusting well.

Also, I think Rodja and Zir have pretty much summed up what's important in the GM. Not too technical, huh?

napalm

napalm

Awards
another excellent post zir red, thanks for your input.

the vids were awesome too