squat check

napalm

napalm

Awards
i think i may have sawed this one off a tad high, thoughts?

[youtube]tEZodmoYgGk[/youtube]

if the depth is decent - and imo it could go either way, it's a new pr

EDIT sorry, can't post vids yet, if someone could embed i'd appreciate it

evandem27

evandem27

Awards
Im not the form expert myself
But my only thing is seems like you pushed a lil more off your toes, then your heels cuz you went forward just a tad. That's my only critique, nice and deep though!

napalm

napalm

Awards
Im not the form expert myself
But my only thing is seems like you pushed a lil more off your toes, then your heels cuz you went forward just a tad. That's my only critique, nice and deep though!
lol, pushing w my toes? dude i was pushing w my toes, finger nails, sphincter and my spleen :)

srs, thanks man, i appreciate the feedback. i'm gonna give it another run next week instead of trying for 3 wheels, i think the depth could have been a tad better.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Depth was good. Could of coursed go deeper, but I personally wouldn't go that far down(on purpose) while going for a new PR. I didn't notice you leaning on your toes, feet looked flat to me.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id go a lil deeper, you wanna brake parallel, esp if you ever plan to compete in powerlifting. Everything else looked good.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd suggest lighter weight and a greater depth.

Can't really give an critique on the ankles since there pretty hard to see.

My biggest critique is your back and forward lean. After your hips stopped descending your torso continue to bend both at the hip and the spine. Your lower back rounded without going below parallel, which is a sign of weak glutes and spinal erectors. The ascent was a lot of spinal extension, versus hip and knee extension, and you didn't achieve a neutral spine until nearly the top.

Congrats on the PR, but I would highly suggest working to strengthen your glutes, hamstrings, and spinal erectors before attempting that weight again.

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

My biggest critique is your back and forward lean. After your hips stopped descending your torso continue to bend both at the hip and the spine. Your lower back rounded without going below parallel, which is a sign of weak glutes and spinal erectors. The ascent was a lot of spinal extension, versus hip and knee extension, and you didn't achieve a neutral spine until nearly the top.

Congrats on the PR, but I would highly suggest working to strengthen your glutes, hamstrings, and spinal erectors before attempting that weight again.

Br
Hey zir do you have any vids or visual aids one can use to truely see what is a "proper" squat. Bc I believe I have some of these issues myself. Thanks!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You know lou, I think everyone does to one extent or another. My pelvis curves underneath me when I go below parallel due to hamstring tightness.

This is a pretty good example of an olympic squat. Notice the back is straight, not excessively arched nor does the pelvis curl under the spine when he goes below parallel. Also notice his hips and shoulders elevate at the same time- versus the usual hips elevate then the rest of the squat turns into a heavy good morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy7ySniQAR8&feature=related

Br

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
how long you been lifting?

napalm

napalm

Awards

Br
great post, thanks. I've been working on the hams, glutes and erectors with good mornings, that vid will come next. i agree with your critique of the forward lean. i didn't feel it at the time, but did note it when i saw the vid for the first time. the depth is the biggest problem i have with it. a couple weeks ago i got stapled to the floor w 290 due to dive bombing it. with this one, i was making a conscious effort not to dive bomb it, and may have come down too slow and lost any rebound i may have gotten at the bottom. it didn't feel like i struggled with it that much. i do think i have it in me and will prolly try it again in a couple weeks - i'll post that vid too. the goal is to have 3 wheels LEGAL by the end of the year.i'm 5/3/1'ing for an APF meet at the end of jan, and would like to get 325 at that time. i think it's realistic.

i think some time at 85% is warranted for a couple weeks, then give 305 another run and a couple weeks after that 315

again, thanks for the input

how long you been lifting?
prolly longer than you've been alive :)

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You know lou, I think everyone does to one extent or another. My pelvis curves underneath me when I go below parallel due to hamstring tightness.

This is a pretty good example of an olympic squat. Notice the back is straight, not excessively arched nor does the pelvis curl under the spine when he goes below parallel. Also notice his hips and shoulders elevate at the same time- versus the usual hips elevate then the rest of the squat turns into a heavy good morning.

Br
What if one squats powerlifting style with a low bar and wider stance?

Budman7811

Budman7811

Awards

Br
WOW those were deep.... I have a knee that may not agree with that... I dont go that low 1. because I am not that good at form 2. knee 3. only use smith machine(<-----creates bad for right?)
My legs are the least I train.... I walkalo and climb ladders and when I work my legs to hard ...its hard to do both...heck even hard to sit on toilet<----tell me you have been that sore?

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
WOW those were deep.... I have a knee that may not agree with that... I dont go that low 1. because I am not that good at form 2. knee 3. only use smith machine(<-----creates bad for right?)
My legs are the least I train.... I walkalo and climb ladders and when I work my legs to hard ...its hard to do both...heck even hard to sit on toilet<----tell me you have been that sore?
I don't use a smith machine but I feel like depth kind of helps my knees. Squats hurt my knees until a little before parallel but after that point it doesn't get worse(For me personally).

Budman7811

Budman7811

Awards
I don't use a smith machine but I feel like depth kind of helps my knees. Squats hurt my knees until a little before parallel but after that point it doesn't get worse(For me personally).
I get a light firecracker sound in my knee just kneeling down... after squats or a long run I get a pain in my knee for 2-3 days.. really sucks I had orthoscopic surgery 1997 tore my ACL and Mcl 2.5 years ago fracture my foot on same leg and wore a bott for 3 months... I have really messed that leg up and I am right footed..left leg little behind in muscle definition and cartledge is probably gone... I guess that would be my bones grinding, i dont know.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
I get a light firecracker sound in my knee just kneeling down... after squats or a long run I get a pain in my knee for 2-3 days.. really sucks I had orthoscopic surgery 1997 tore my ACL and Mcl 2.5 years ago fracture my foot on same leg and wore a bott for 3 months... I have really messed that leg up and I am right footed..left leg little behind in muscle definition and cartledge is probably gone... I guess that would be my bones grinding, i dont know.
Ah yeah thats worse than my case. I've had arthritis like a 60+ year old since I was 4, so my pain isn't* that bad if i take an aspirin.

Last edited:
ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's because the weight is shifted to your hips (good thing). It could be the way you descend - make sure you are pushing your hips back as go down.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
That's because the weight is shifted to your hips (good thing). It could be the way you descend - make sure you are pushing your hips back as go down.
The way that sounds to me, won't it cause me to lean forward more?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not necessarily. The load should be aligned over your ankles. Forward lean can occur when the load is in front of your ankles (often times you end up with heel elevation), or when you don't have the core or glute strength to keep the torso parallel to the tibia.

Your first movement when squatting down should be hips back, then hips and knees flex together as you descend.

Br

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Not necessarily. The load should be aligned over your ankles. Forward lean can occur when the load is in front of your ankles (often times you end up with heel elevation), or when you don't have the core or glute strength to keep the torso parallel to the tibia.

Your first movement when squatting down should be hips back, then hips and knees flex together as you descend.

Br
Ah thanks, I'll be doing squats Monday and I will try to find out if I do that or not. Can't really recall from memory since I've never thought about it.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Br
Are you of the school that believes box squating can help teach one to free squat better?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lou, yes, with the caveat that correctly coached/instructed box squatting can improve squat technique. This is sitting down (and back) on the box, keeping tight, chest high, and driving the torso vertical (i.e.: hips and knees extend together). This contrasts to the too often seen, sit down on the box, rock forward, and complete the squat almost as if you are doing a good morning (knees extend before hips).

Br

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lou, yes, with the caveat that correctly coached/instructed box squatting can improve squat technique. This is sitting down (and back) on the box, keeping tight, chest high, and driving the torso vertical (i.e.: hips and knees extend together). This contrasts to the too often seen, sit down on the box, rock forward, and complete the squat almost as if you are doing a good morning (knees extend before hips).

Br
Ah ok, thanks. Ive noticed it is helping me learn to really sit back and use my post chain, glutes, and hams in one unit. Also it seems to take away the pressure from a nagging hip flexor strain ive been dealing with.